Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet kitten weeing on everything!

Options
  • 16-03-2010 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi there

Myself and my girlfriend adopted a stray kitten about 4 months ago. She has a damaged left paw, a vet reckons nerves in her shoulder are severed so she cant straighten it out, walking around with it in a hook-like position.

She is very affectionate to the point of being needy, but she also pees on everything. My gf moved apartments in the middle of January, and since then, the peeing began in earnest. She usually only seems to do it to things on the floor in my gf's apt, which admittedly is not the best place to have things but I've said what I have to say on that matter, but she's gone on my gfs bed a couple of times too.

She has a litter tray which is cleaned once a day but still if there is a bag on the floor or sometimes she will jump up on a clotheshorse and knock an item of clothing off of it, and then pee on it!! My gf is at her wits end at this stage. We really dont want to give the cat up as she is a gorgeous little thing and has brought so much happiness into our lives but there must be some way to address this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Hello
    Kittens are so much fun aren't they but I never realised how much work they are till I got my 2 little savages!
    I had the same problem with one wee-ing everywhere. What I found worked was orange peel in the places where he liked to wee. I know you say that yours does it on things on the ground but maybe if you put it in the area it might help. Beware though, once it dries out it can be used for playing! Maybe something like orange essential oil on a scarf would work too?
    I'd also try clean the litter tray more often. Not nessecarily the whole tray but as soon as something is done scoop that bit of litter out and it'll make it more appealing to use. I wouldn't want to use an unflushed toilet so I try keep the cat box the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I feel her pain, went through something similar occasionally & still finding the odd accident.

Sounds like she is quite nervous which is understandable if she is so young, has gone through trauma of moving etc. Nerves & stress really bring on peeing accidents. I don't know what to do about this apart from really making a chilled out environment for her & not doing anything that would scare her ie; chasing, loud noises (vacuum etc).

Does she actually use the tray as well? Is it in a quiet spot for her? Normally kittens are shown by their mothers how to scratch the gravel, it comes instinctively but she may need to be shown. She may also have not figured out how to use it properly if one paw is not quite right.

Lastly, she will continue to pee on things she's pee'd on before or in places she has pee'd before. Urine is very high in ammonia & that's what they smell in the spot they pee'd, their noses are very sensitive. Your girlfriend has to hot wash things she's pee'd on with biological washing powder. The spots on the floor where she pee'd can also be cleaned with a little bio powder. Or you can get cleaners in pet shops that have enzymes that get rid of all traces of the pee.

I hope this helps, it is such a pain in the arse when they pee on things, especially cos cat pee is so pungent.

Also, don't leave things on the floor & I'd suggest an extra litter tray in another room that she goes in a lot.

Advertisement