Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi trees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

i think more than 2 meters, i saw similiar tree in one garden and the high was about 2.5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have purchased bargain trees from a few places at various times, though I don't think I have had any from Aldi. On the whole I find stuff from Lidl and Aldi very good quality, but I can't say the same for trees - Lidl trees anyway.

Given that you are going to have them taking space in the garden for years, and you want to watch them grow and look good, cheap trees are a false economy. I have dug several up after a couple of years, mainly because the vigorous rootstock has overtaken the graft and it ends up looking pathetic.

As I say, I have not had Aldi trees, I think, but I would rather pay a bit more from a reputable nursery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you do get a tree from aldi or lidl, get in early - their staff aren't trained in how best to store dormant plants. you don't want one which has been sitting in a heated shop for a week or two.

and i'd wholeheartedly endorse what looksee said - if you're looking for something as (hopefully) permanent and large as a tree, an extra tenner at the outset is probably well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Just to +1 on the above have bought loads of diy an plant stuff from aldi and lidl and love all of them but there is a marked difference in the quality of trees i have got from there and from garden centres. You would really notice the difference.

So my advice is if putting aldi and lidl trees in garden keep them all as aldi lidl and dont mix with garden centre ones.

Advertisement