Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Backpack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

This might rub some the wrong way, but once your out of Asia, your not gonna have any use for a backpack. The usual square suitcase on wheels would be the handiest as you'll get more into it.
    I went your route twice already, first time, everyone had backpacks, and suffered everyday packing and unpacking (some girls had suitcases and put us to shame), second year, I took a backpack again, but it seemed like everyone except for germans had normal suitcases.
    Consider how long you plan on walking with your backpack with a years worth of clothes in it, and you'll soon realise that the we (Irish) need to have a think about renaming 'a year out backpacking' to 'a year out travelling'.

If you do intend to do a lot of hiking ('treking') in Oz, Id advise you pay more than you want for the backpack, anything under 100/130 euro ish is going to fall apart or break your back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

If your in dublin tomorrow, go to henry street, go right down to the end of it where millets outdoor shop is and next door to it theres a small camping shop with backpacks that are excellent value for money!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Dunno what SE Asia is like, but for backpacking Africa I went down the Army Surplus store just off Capel Street, and got an old army bag for 30 quid. Perfect job: discrete, indestructible, enough places to attach things and no problem to carry around.

The key is to make sure at least 1/4 of your backpack is empty before you leave, because your clothes are going to magically expand as they get dirty / wet / unfolded, and as you pick up things you forgot.

Non-backpacks are fine when you're sticking to paved cities, but as soon as you head out of town you're going to need a backpack. I guess if you're going to New Zealand, it's not to see the cities...

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭me1724

Thanks for all the help guys, this is why i love boards with a comment when i say i need info quick i get 3 replies....

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭me1724

Forgot no shops open today so def need a bag tomorrow, if anyone has any information on the two bags above please let me know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

I bought the first one (Gelert) only it was a smaller size - 60+15l.
    The bag itself was very good quality.
    It had plenty of space, but then I was only using it for 1 month around Thailand.
    I am 5'4" and anything bigger would have been too much for me I think.
    Hope this helps. Enjoy your travels! :)

Advertisement