Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Service Cork City Area

Options
  • 16-03-2010 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi Guys

I really need help in relation to my car. It is due for an NCT in April and I need to get it sorted before I even attempt to put it through.I havent much knowledge about them so I'm hoping someone can help out :D

Its a 00 Opel Astra 3 Door, 1.4L Petrol, 101k Miles on the clock.
    I have regulary serviced it (Oil Change, Filter, Plugs) at 6000miles intervals. Last one was done at 98k Milies. Timing Belt and Head Gasket were done at 68k miles.

I need to get a few things checked over.

1. The temperature guage works when it feels like working. It doesnt work when I am travelling for a distance (Long or Short journeys) if I am not changing gears the whole time. It tends to only come on when I am travelling around a town/city and continuously stopping-starting at junctions/traffic lights.

2. Beside the temp guage I have the light sensors for Airbag/Seat Belt/ABS. None of these lights are working so I dunno if they come on or off :(. The oil light/engine sensor lights do work as they are beside the speedometer.

3. My car tends to have a high rev count (well this is in my opinion) 60miles/100km perhour, 5th gear, 3000revs????? Dunno if this is wrong or right. When I am stopped weither in 1st gear and clutchin or in neutral my car tends to be doing 500revs?? Again i have no idea whats right or wrong..

4. The lights which should be highlighting my heater controls also dont work... Appartently that a messy job to try and get to the wires???

5. Finally I just want to get a general NCT Pre Test kinda thing done. The car is running perfectly (and it better stay that way :L) but its just those little things that a NCT tester will have great pleasure in failing me on.

Any ways if anyone can recommend a garage or mechanic who would be willing to sort it out.. I'm living in Grange.Douglas and Working in Carrigaline so preferabally in or around these area's.. And some one who will not rip me off. I may be a girl who knows only a little about cars but I'm not totally brain dead...

Thanks a millions
    Tagged:

Comments

I've found Canty's on anglesea street to be quite good. Had the car serviced and prepped for the NCT last week for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

points 1, 3 and 4 are VERY common on the older petrol astra's and tbh it might cost more to get fixed than would make sense to spend on that car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rashers18

I've found Canty's on anglesea street to be quite good. Had the car serviced and prepped for the NCT last week for a reasonable price.
    Thanks a million 'll look into it :D

corkcomp wrote: »
    points 1, 3 and 4 are VERY common on the older petrol astra's and tbh it might cost more to get fixed than would make sense to spend on that car
    How much is a lot of money :L. I'm willing to sort it out and if it passes the NCT then I'll sell her. I dont want to sell her off and land someone else with fixing it. Is it possible to Get all those stuff fixed in one go..

rashers18 wrote: »
    I dont want to sell her off and land someone else with fixing it.

:confused::confused:

yeah should be possible to fix in one go as long as they order all the required parts

• Advertisement

:confused::confused:

yeah should be possible to fix in one go as long as they order all the required parts
    "Sell her off" as in sell my car ha ha..

"Sell her off" as in sell my car ha ha..

i knew that!! I was curious as to why you feel you would need to fix those problems before selling it? maybe its just me, but i would sell it as is:o

i knew that!! I was curious as to why you feel you would need to fix those problems before selling it? maybe its just me, but i would sell it as is:o
    but most people would want the car with an NCT. otherwise they'll have to do it. Ant i'll get more for it :L:L:L
    And the car wont pass with those problems.... WIll it????

but most people would want the car with an NCT. otherwise they'll have to do it. Ant i'll get more for it :L:L:L
    And the car wont pass with those problems.... WIll it????

the back lights behind instrument panel / heater control area wont stop car passing nct, neither will wonky temp gauge and the high revving shouldnt be a problem either as long as emissions ok

the back lights behind instrument panel / heater control area wont stop car passing nct, neither will wonky temp gauge and the high revving shouldnt be a problem either as long as emissions ok
    What I was more worried about is the lights things as there is new things coming in on the NCT on April the 1st... and Guess who's Test is AFTER the April the 1st.. Just my luck

http://www.ncts.ie/NewInspectionItems.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement