Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Mandatory Experiments

Options
  • 16-03-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I could not be more confused...

Are there actually marks in the Leaving Cert going for the write up of the mandatory experiments or do we just need to know them for Section A of the exam?

And if there are marks allocated for them, when are they checked or do they need to be sent off?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

They don't need to be sent off or anything. You just need to know 'em for the exam. However, if an inspector happens to call you'll be expected to have them written up.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

just for section A.....which is quite importan so you should really get ta know them well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You only need to have them written up in case an inspector comes to the school. However, I find that it is much easier to study from your own report of the experiments.

I also find it really useful to write in at least two precautions for every experiment - a common question in Section A, easy marks if you understand the experiment, but it is not often touched upon in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rogers4815

You only need to have them written up in case an inspector comes to the school. However, I find that it is much easier to study from your own report of the experiments.

I also find it really useful to write in at least two precautions for every experiment - a common question in Section A, easy marks if you understand the experiment, but it is not often touched upon in the book.

That's a great idea, thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Two of the most common precautions are:
    1. Avoid error of parallax when measuring distances (or perhaps displacements) using a meter stick.
    2. Avoid zero error when using a meter stick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

jumpguy wrote: »
    Two of the most common precautions are:
    1. Avoid error of parallax when measuring distances (or perhaps displacements) using a meter stick.
    2. Avoid zero error when using a meter stick.

And to add to that - if the question says something like, "Why was a larger mass/amount of water/temperature/angle.... etc. used" then often the answer is to reduce percentage error". (such as if you only use an angle of 5 degrees when measuring the refractive index, and you read the angle wrong by 1 degree, you're making a 20% error).

Advertisement