Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesbian Gay Bisexual AND TRANSGENDER

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I've created a poll. I'm sure there are people who have an opinion, but don't want to share it publicly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055872123

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

We could be heading for the longest forum name in a bit :)

Personally, I believe it doesn't really make sense to have transgendered topics shunted to a sub-forum. There mightn't be enough to sustain it and then the forum could become too barren, which might discourage people from posting on it rather than a more vibrant all-encompassing forum.

Out of curiosity - would the forum be better served as "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered" label or something a bit neater like "LGBT Issues" (or something similar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are also T posters who constribute and most people don't know they are T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Boston wrote: »
    The problem is that if you pander to people who scream and shout and hurl abuse, then you're saying that behaviour is OK.

But surely that is long in the past now? I think refusing to abide by a name change, because someone was screaming and shouting 3 or 4 years ago is a bit ridiculous. I can't see how it could possibly be conceivable that you'd be saying abusive behavior is OK if that person has been long banned for said abuse.
    Theres one chap I can think of who doesn't post here anymore and it's not from anything I said. So do just ignore the poor behaviour and the driving away of other users?

Again, I don't think anyone's been ignoring anything, and disruptive and abusive posters have been banned. I don't see why they should factor into any decision to change the name of a forum if they're no longer allowed to participate here.
    Of people? No. I think the posters you make reference to where an embarrassment that others went to length to distance themselves from. Bottom line is that it was never anything I posted or you posted that stopped the name being changed or a forum being set up, it was what other transsexual users posted. At one stage everyone was in agreement, I even offered to moderate the transgender forum to show support. But it all fell apart. The only negative impression I have is of these threads.

I well remember those threads, and I know it was certain transgender posters that pretty much sabotaged any attempt to create a forum, but as above, is it not time to let go of that? It was years ago, and I don't see why what happened with a couple of posters should have any bearing on what decisions are made currently. The gist of what I'm saying is that was then, this is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've submitted a request to have the name changed on the forums forum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055872143

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ixoy wrote: »
    We could be heading for the longest forum name in a bit :)

Personally, I believe it doesn't really make sense to have transgendered topics shunted to a sub-forum. There mightn't be enough to sustain it and then the forum could become too barren, which might discourage people from posting on it rather than a more vibrant all-encompassing forum.

Out of curiosity - would the forum be better served as "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered" label or something a bit neater like "LGBT Issues" (or something similar).

Dispite the claims to the contray, LGBT isn't an every day term outside of our little communities. We get a fair number of young questioning people posting who probably arn't familiar with the term. I'd say drop Lesbian before you use an acronym. But thats equally a bad idea.

An idea would be to include Trans rather then trangender,

I'd be very against calling it something like Queer Issues or any other name which obfuscates the purpose of the forum.

If length is genuinely an issue (which I don't think it is really), it could simply be 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi & Trans'?

I'd just leave it as LGBT. "Issues" to me implies that only threads about a problem that needs solving are welcome. While I'm not that interested in it, I do believe that certain light-hearted and frivolous topics should be allowed here.

Yes, issues is bad. Makes it sound like the forum is a gay version of PI.

Aard wrote: »
    I'd just leave it as LGBT. "Issues" to me implies that only threads about a problem that needs solving are welcome. While I'm not that interested in it, I do believe that certain light-hearted and frivolous topics should be allowed here.

No it needs to include all four words. It shouldn't have an acronym

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

What about "Not 100% Straight" forum ? :)

"Issues" was a bad choice, so maybe nothing appended on to the end would work better.

But isn't straight relative to one's gender? Someone could be transsexual and 100% straight. /spanner in the works.

"Minority Gender & Sexual Identities"? :P

Sexual idenfity encompases more then sexuality, it would include fetishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Don't think we're going to find anything better than (some form of) LGBT tbh.

"Lesbian, Gay, Bi & Trans" gets my vote as a shorter option.

Sustainability & Environmental Issues
    Accessibility & Mobility & Disability
    Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Well I guess it costs you nothing to do the name change and perhaps generates some good-will.

But surely if you're going to change it now you may as well make it LGBTQ or whatever is the most inclusive acronym, rather than having to deal with the issue again further down the line.

Well I guess it costs you nothing to do the name change and perhaps generates some good-will.

But surely if you're going to change it now you may as well make it LGBTQ or whatever is the most inclusive acronym, rather than having to deal with the issue again further down the line.

No one has ever ask for Q. Q either means questioning or Queer. If it means Questioning then the inclusion is implicit, if it means Queer, well then it's either redundant or going very far away from the ethos of the forum. Queer theory is a humanities topic and while it may be discussed here, it's never going to be what this place is about. There are no queer theorists in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Trans
    Lesbian, Gay, Bi & Trans

If anyone watches the latest episode of "United States of Tara", there's a scene addressing this very issue with a load of different variations up on a whiteboard. They didn't make a conclusive agreement either and were wondering about the Qs, etc as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gay BLT - the delicious option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Actually Boston, for the record, I would far more quickly identify as queer than L or G!!

Just for the record!!

Actually a lot of transfolk hang about the fetish scene(s) in Ireland because they fnid it more welcoming and less questioning than the egular gay scene - and also because its more discreet. There are specific places for the fetish scene for that reason - I can't see them coming to a public forum like this.

Transpeople are just the same as everybody else and include a few nutters who unfortunately are sometimes pushy enough to create a wrong impression - you gotta remember that post transition lots of trans men and women put their past behind them and just live as ordinary men and women, and don't feel comfortable in gay circles. It would be nice to welcome them though, and a name change would send out a slightly more positive vibe to people with gender issues.

shoegirl wrote: »
    Actually Boston, for the record, I would far more quickly identify as queer than L or G!!

Just for the record!!

Actually a lot of transfolk hang about the fetish scene(s) in Ireland because they fnid it more welcoming and less questioning than the egular gay scene - and also because its more discreet. There are specific places for the fetish scene for that reason - I can't see them coming to a public forum like this.

You'd be surprised, hell I was surprised with the over laps in alt/kink/nerd/pagan/gamer circles in this country.

For all you "T"-supporters out there - if you actually want to effect change with regard to the forum-title, you might want to get your asses in gear and post on the topic started by JMG in Forum Requests. It's a bit rich to piss and moan and then do jack about it. (Except for one of you, I see.) Just sayin' is all.

EDIT: Specifically referring to the more ... "vociferous" members of the forum.

I don't see why the change for the forum name has to be handled in the new forums forum.
    The request is not for a new forum but to change the name of this one, so if the mods feel there is the mandate for it they can check with the cat mods and then refer the matter on to the admins rather then having anyone who fancies it who has never posted in this forum chiming in the new forums forum.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I don't see why the change for the forum name has to be handled in the new forums forum.
    The request is not for a new forum but to change the name of this one, so if the mods feel there is the mandate for it they can check with the cat mods and then refer the matter on to the admins rather then having anyone who fancies it who has never posted in this forum chiming in the new forums forum.

There precedent for names changes to be handled in this way. We can't just ignore boards.ie policies and circumvent them. Not even when they're outmoded. I'm sure it will be revised in the "forum naming" overview of 2014.

There precedent for names changes to be handled in this way. We can't just ignore boards.ie policies and circumvent them. Not even when they're outmoded. I'm sure it will be revised in the "forum naming" overview of 2014.
    Is there policy specifically written somewhere that forum name change requests have to go in the forum requests forum?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

We allow straight people to post though :)

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Is there policy specifically written somewhere that forum name change requests have to go in the forum requests forum?

Nope.

The green issues forum was changed when the mods went to the cat mods and then admins.
    It's now the Sustainability & Environmental Issues forum.

• Advertisement

So basically Stark, Ixoy and Swiss could actually go to the moderators and admins and request a change?

It seems to me as well that there is consensus for change - I've only come across opposition from 2 or 3 posters and most others seem to want to change it

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement