Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesbian Gay Bisexual AND TRANSGENDER

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The poll indicates that there are more then 2 or 3 people against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Boston wrote: »

Ah they are all just like azezil and pressed the wrong button! :)

I was looking at the results earlier and was suprised by the numbers against. However there are few putting forward any sound arguments (well even unsound arguments), so until they start to I'm considering these no votes to be mostly just boards poll fraudsters. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes it does but as is said in the Forum Guidelines of the Forum Requests Forum
    a poll adds no more discussion to a request and frankly anyone can click yes/no without giving a reason, or while passing through

I actually meant to say that only 2 or 3 people have commented that they are against it and given reasons why.

You more or less noted this yourself
    the poll seems to indicate that there are a number of people against the name change, but I was the only one making any argument against in.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

But likewise only a handful of people have comment that they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭eaglach

I think this is just political correctness gone mad. As if anyone is going to come across these forums and say "oh, they don't cater for transexuals. This forum isn't for me".

As was said before, if you start changing it then everyone will need to be catered for. Bi-curious, Straight-curious, transgendered, transexuals and god knows how many other titles.

If it ain't broke why fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

eaglach wrote: »
    As if anyone is going to come across these forums and say "oh, they don't cater for transexuals. This forum isn't for me".
    Well that's clearly not the case, after while all it's not say a weekly occurrence it does happen regularly enough that someone comes along with their knickers in a twist bemoaning the lack of a T at the end to perhaps justify it.
    Though they generally either seem to leave there after never to post again or get themselves banned ;)
    To put an end to these threads once and for all, at least until someone complains about the lack of a Q or other letter at the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 livlondon

That might be the case but doesn't it show that a separate 'T' thread would be a barren wasteland.
    I think this is just political correctness gone mad. As if anyone is going to come across these forums and say "oh, they don't cater for transexuals. This forum isn't for me".

It's not nothing to do with 'PC gone mad' I think we are all quite far removed from a church going conservative mum in Foxrock complaining about 'straight EU bananas.' :) And why isn't it the case that people might be going through the threads and just assuming that they aren't catered for because they haven't read the forum manifesto and go elsewhere. People expect 'GLBT' and if they don't see it they assume there is explicitly no 'T' for a reason. They might only read the coverage etc.. when they actually go to post. We could be losing a lot of interesting posters on the subject trans or not trans.
    As was said before, if you start changing it then everyone will need to be catered for. Bi-curious, Straight-curious, transgendered, transexuals and god knows how many other titles.
    I quite enjoy this apparent fear that this is opening the floodgates to all sorts of fringe little groups etc.. to get a 'letter' on the end of the forum name. So what, why can't they put a up a decent argument, no personal attack, discussion and then a decision. Isn't it all part of this lovely site.
    It's not about it being broke, it's about encouraging decent postings and increasing the numbers of reads. Will changing it decrease the amount of postings? I don't think so.

There have been a lot more comments in favour and posters who have made comments in favour (way more than a handful) then against. I haven't even seen what your objections are apart from references to the past

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    There have been a lot more comments in favour and posters who have made comments in favour (way more than a handful) then against. I haven't even seen what your objections are apart from references to the past

Nah. Excluding those who just registered to complain about this, it's pretty even posters wise.

Nah. Excluding those who just registered to complain about this, it's pretty even posters wise.

Wheres the rule that says opinions are only for established members?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Wheres the rule that says opinions are only for established members?

Where in the rules does it say numbers count for anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 livlondon

I assume that slight dig was perhaps aimed at me? I get paranoid sometimes but i maybe wrong. I've been both a reader and a member (posting pre-transition) on Boards.ie for over 9 years. I've migrated off my older account. Again Boston, you appear to be making quite big assumptions regarding who and what I am.

I still love you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Squaw Crow

This has nothing to do with political correctness. I don't think anyone is arguing about the forum being somehow 'broke' rather they are suggesting ways to improve. Again LGBT is the traditional acronym used for most movements regarding civil rights. I have read what everyone has said but i still don't think the reasons for opposing the name change are strong enough. Though it is obvious that i am going to think like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

How much is it really going to hurt to change it?

AND send out a marginally more welcoming message to T-people that they are WELCOME here in the process.

Why so much resistance to making a slightly stronger statement of inclusivity? As I have said before I have found one or two transpeople to be very bad ambassadors for their cause (to be honest, both I think were mentally unstable but meant well), but the vast vast majority are decent, lovely people who deserve a little more of the right kind of attention than they do right now, and a little more support from the LGB family.

I don't really understand why there is so much resistance to a slight adjustment of the name. I understand the boards.ie policies, but this might be a case for pushing the envelope a little where appropriate.

Sorry for being a middle aged old bore, but this old dyke thinks its a positive idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

The first time I saw the forum name I immediately thought it was odd that there was no T. I still think it's odd and I think it's better to add it.

shoegirl wrote: »
    How much is it really going to hurt to change it?

AND send out a marginally more welcoming message to T-people that they are WELCOME here in the process.

Why so much resistance to making a slightly stronger statement of inclusivity? As I have said before I have found one or two transpeople to be very bad ambassadors for their cause (to be honest, both I think were mentally unstable but meant well), but the vast vast majority are decent, lovely people who deserve a little more of the right kind of attention than they do right now, and a little more support from the LGB family.

I don't really understand why there is so much resistance to a slight adjustment of the name. I understand the boards.ie policies, but this might be a case for pushing the envelope a little where appropriate.

Sorry for being a middle aged old bore, but this old dyke thinks its a positive idea.

At this stage I'm indifferent. I've just never accepted the arguments for change as being particularly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 partyfeet

Gee folks, sure is a lot of opinion generated re the Original
    Poster -all heartfelt and honest stuff. I"m a newbie here,
    a pre opp Trans Woman ( by a country mile lol ) and to be
    honest I gravitated to Boards because of this Thread ,,saw
    it and wanted to join in ,,ya know ???. Anyways , I hope
    the" question " is resolved positively in my interests as it
    would be nice to be involved in an Irish Forum dealing with
    Trans stuff . If things dont turn out that way ,,still luv ya all.

Advertisement