Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College age groups.

Options
  • 16-03-2010 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Hi, My aunt has applied to return to college but is concerned
    being a mature student she will feel old and out of place,
    I have assured her this is not the case. She is 32 and this
    is holding her back. I wondered generally what is the average age
    group? Are there many mature students? Also would appreciate
    opinions from students who may have had similar concerns.
    I cannot help her myself as I'm just starting college next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

32 is not old, lots of us have done it considerably older than that. There will be a good few mature students, especially this year, though they very often do not particularly seek each other out, somehow age really doesn't seem to matter. You can find like-minded people any age. Tell her to go for it, and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

I'm 37 and have had great craic with young and older on my course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm not gonna lie, some mature students find it very hard to fit in. I think the main barrier is the person themselves making the age thing an issue. Once they realise everyone is there coz they have an interest in the course and are not some sort of alien beings they'll be grand.

My advice is to just get stuck into it. Go to class events. Talk to everyone in the class.

You can also seek out Mature Student Societies. But I don't particularly think these are great to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Larianne wrote: »
    I'm not gonna lie, some mature students find it very hard to fit in. I think the main barrier is the person themselves making the age thing an issue. Once they realise everyone is there coz they have an interest in the course and are not some sort of alien beings they'll be grand.

My advice is to just get stuck into it. Go to class events. Talk to everyone in the class.

You can also seek out Mature Student Societies. But I don't particularly think these are great to be honest.
    Thanks, I guess she is holding herself back by convincing herself
    her year will be all 18/19 year olds.
    She needs a more positive attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My class which is small enough, about 40 has mostly 18/19 year olds. Some 20 yr olds as well and there is two other mature students in my class. Everyone gets on with everyone. As I said before I think if people have a problem with the age gap, then there will be a problem.

I do have a friend in his 40s who is the only mature student in his class and he was finding it hard the last time I was talking to him.

I wouldn't be put off college at all though. If she gets immersed in the college life with societies and clubs she'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

True...in my current class even though its PLC i am the oldest by far at 29, yet i actually dont care about that because i've managed to get on with everyone and we've had some great times! Actually every day is something new and funny:D

The big tip is to not let the age gap cause worry, at the end of the day your aunt may be a little older and wiser, but at least she wont be one of those who go to college straight out of secondary, waste their first year drinking themselves stupid and trying to catch up because they can't handle the pressure;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm 35 and started an evening course in DCU this year. I'm not particularly old for my group.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 actingthegoat

Hiya,
    In the degree I did (at 18),out of a group of 60 there were maybe 15 mature students. Some of them were in their 40's and 50's and as distinct from these,the people in their late 20's/early 30's didnt even seem much older than myself and it was awhile before I even realised that they were "mature students".It made no difference anyway as everyone mixed well. Hope she enjoys it :)

Hiya,
    In the degree I did (at 18),out of a group of 60 there were maybe 15 mature students. Some of them were in their 40's and 50's and as distinct from these,the people in their late 20's/early 30's didnt even seem much older than myself and it was awhile before I even realised that they were "mature students".It made no difference anyway as everyone mixed well. Hope she enjoys it :)
    Thanks, I have encouraged her to become active in college life
    also with the current economic climate I expect there will be a
    huge increases in mature students attending college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Darmstrong

In my course there is a large number of places for mature students
    I'm studying to become a Social Care Practitioner (A social worker)
    I find that the mature students often have a great input into our class discussions and often have good stories about their experiences throughout their lives,
    In my opinion Mature students are great to have in a class group and there is nothing to say that she is too old to further her education.
    She ought to go for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Depends on how a mature student presents him or herself to a class. I've seen many a mature student been outcasted by the younger group and i've seen one or two mature students(male) end up been with younger women, been the wildest party animals and been seen as the leaders of the class. its all about how they try to fit in and how they carry themselfs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Depends on how a mature student presents him or herself to a class. I've seen many a mature student been outcasted by the younger group and i've seen one or two mature students(male) end up been with younger women, been the wildest party animals and been seen as the leaders of the class. its all about how they try to fit in and how they carry themselfs.

Oh I hope that's me.
    I'am just gone 32 and really undecided about starting Uni next September:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

It really does depend on the individual and on what course they are doing.

I'm 36 myself and am the oldest mature student doing 2nd year science. I'm the only one with kids (4) but I didn't keep away from the younger students even though I mainly hang out with 4 other matures who are aged between 22 and 26...I'm the mature of the matures!!

In my head I'm still only about 25 and my attitude reflects that,:), therefore I can have a laugh with my younger counterparts and they really do appreciate my company especially as being the mature student I'm forever keeping them in the loop about exam tips, note taking and info regarding our course:D

Oh I hope that's me.
    I'am just gone 32 and really undecided about starting Uni next September:confused:
    Well my Aunt has been talking with a few other mature students most of them
    seem to love it and find the general age group 18-22 fine to get on with, There
    was one or two who are not entirely happy but overall it was very positive
    feedback, I think you should go for it. I think it actually encouraged her after
    speaking with them.
    Thanks for all your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

30 yr old here doing Fine Art in Sept ! God help me:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

There's a good article here about UCC's graduate of the year - a mature student.

Advertisement