Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equine Wormers

Options
  • 16-03-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what brands of wormers you use for your horses/ponies, and if anyone can recommend a 'gentle' wormer?

The last one I used (I can't remember the name off the top of my head) really cut up the horses quite badly and I couldn't take them anywhere for a few weeks until they put on condition again. It just really seemed to knock the stuffing out of them. (not because they had worms - they were up to date with their doses - it was just because it was very harsh).

I've heard Telmin is meant to be gentle, but just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience of this or any other recommendations for wormers?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I lost a horse after worming a few years ago and I hate them.

Anyway, two options I can think of which might be worth trying for you.

1. Get worm counts done and then you'll only have to worm as necessary.
    I'm not sure if these people serve the Irish market yet. And you still have to worm for encysted redworms over the winter according to their spiel
    http://www.westgatelabs.co.uk/

2. Theres a new type of 'herbal' wormer on the market. I have no personal experience of this either but it might be worth a try, especially if you can get the worm counts done.
    http://www.wormers-direct.co.uk/verm-x.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

i use equimax, strongid and noromectin in rotation. they say that you shouldn't use the same wormer all the time and change them around and apparently the equimax is the one that covers everything.

don't know much after that, can i ask how did the wormer knock the horses back or lead to a fatal result? just curious as i've never heard of that before

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Wicked wrote: »
    don't know much after that, can i ask how did the wormer knock the horses back [...]? just curious as i've never heard of that before

After we gave them a strong wormer the horses just lost all condition that was on them and they looked awfully thin for quite a while. They were up to date with worm doeses and vacs, so it was quite a shock to see them just melt.

Would be interesting to hear fits' experience, if that's ok with you fits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

use norvomectin pour on...on horses!
    should vary ur wormer appliaction every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I've used Eqvalan before and found it good. Its a broad spectrum wormer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

I was told to rotate them as well....between Eqvalan, Eraquell and Equimax.

Advertisement