Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SÓ Sligo

Options
  • 16-03-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

Lots going on this weekend. Including music, a market, carnival, all kinds of things.

More details on here:
    http://www.sosligo.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There's even a "Vegetable Model Making Display" in Quayside on the Saturday. Can't wait. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

There's even a "Vegetable Model Making Display" in Quayside on the Saturday. Can't wait. :D
    So have you got an Irish stew recipe you'll enter or is it just coddle your speciality? ;)

tuppence wrote: »
    So have you got an Irish stew recipe you'll enter or is it just coddle your speciality? ;)

Ha ha.. just coz I'm a Dub doesn't mean I live on coddle! I was thinking of entering my Guinness & Cinnamon stew, but the closing date was last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

was not around at the weekend so did'nt get to check it out,i was wondering how did it go? anybody got feedback from the any of the events?

dardevle wrote: »

was not around at the weekend so did'nt get to check it out,i was wondering how did it go? anybody got feedback from the any of the events?

I didn't go to any events, but there were a few shabby looking stalls down by the river & a few taximen I spoke to didn't even know there was a festival going on.. hardly surprising really as there was virtually no advertising of it - I found only out about it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I had a look at the market. It wasn't anything like the French market......plus 3 euro for a cupcake is way too expensive.
    There was no one to stop cars that were trying to drive down Rockwood parade, so there was a few near misses with cars and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

so basically, yet another screw up.

sigh. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I thought there was a great atmosphere down at Rockwood with the drumming band etc and the food was lovely. I got some gorgeous stuff at the market. I also heard great things about the cookery demonstrations my mother claims she got loads of free dinners and receipies out of them! I agree there could have been better promotion/ advertising but I would definately like to see it happening again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I saw a lot of advertising for it.
    Every shop I went into had a poster up or leaflets about it.
    It was in the local papers too and on Sligo Today.

I think there should be a regular market at Rockwood Parade, there was a great atmosphere there (and there were lots of free samples to try). It was great to see the town busy.

I felt sorry for the Sligo Concert Band trying to play on the pavement in O'Connell Street and people trying to listen from across the road with cars going by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

magnumlady wrote: »
    I saw a lot of advertising for it.
    Every shop I went into had a poster up or leaflets about it.
    It was in the local papers too and on Sligo Today.

I think there should be a regular market at Rockwood Parade, there was a great atmosphere there (and there were lots of free samples to try). It was great to see the town busy.

I felt sorry for the Sligo Concert Band trying to play on the pavement in O'Connell Street and people trying to listen from across the road with cars going by.

RTE TV covered (Eileen Magner anyway) it at least once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

One week before it started, they announced on facebook that they had just got the posters from the printers. Surely you would get that arranged way before to get it distributed. If I didn't see it on FB I wouldn't have known it was happening. The Mad Hatters Tea Party was brilliant for the wee ones. It was a bit hairy at the market with the cars reversing everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

i kept my distance cos of the samba drummers, that noise goes through me.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

magnumlady wrote: »
    I had a look at the market. It wasn't anything like the French market......plus 3 euro for a cupcake is way too expensive.
    There was no one to stop cars that were trying to drive down Rockwood parade, so there was a few near misses with cars and kids.

in the place i work we got big piles of flyers and business cards brought in every day, but there was no real helpfull information on it about locations and times. my friend came from dublin and checked the website to find out where the market was, again no information, no map nothing. we had the stand at the market selling the cupcakes (2 euro or 6 for 10euro), we were told by the organisers to drive down rockwood parade. they didnt give us any information before hand about where to park where to set up or anything. were also told there would be over 30 stalls saturday and sunday. clearly not the case. the organisation would need to be improved for next year they were facing lots of problems too: http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=8267

Advertisement