Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compression Socks

• 16-03-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hey!

Im a newbie to the site, but a long time reader!

Been cycling for about a year now, mainly took it up because of a bad case of shin splints, which lasted for nearly two years so basically put my hurling career to bed!

Was reading a cycling magazine earlier and came across an article on Compression socks and their use in the sport.

Came back sunday after a nice 100km spin and was feeling pretty good. The last two days tho, iv been feeling kind of numb in the calves, and it hasnt really relieved itself even with plenty stretches, a feeling I would have been used to with the shin splints.

So basically what im asking is, does anyone use these compression socks/tights for cycling? And if you do, are they any good? Was thiking of getting a pair if they might help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Put something similar up myself before. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055650891

Use the tights myself and find them great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

David Miller wore some in the tour a couple of years ago.
    David%20Millar%20%28GBr%29%20Dig%20the%20socks%20man.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you have a history of shin splints I would consider adjusting your bike fit rather than focusing on what you do off the bike, maybe change cleat position to deactivate your calf muscles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Not necessarily very relevant, but I got the photo journal book of Lance's return to cycling for a present at Christmas. In a lot of his shots where he's in his hotel room, he's wearing these....or what appear to be these. From this, I'd gather that they're meant to be good at something.

Sorry this isn't more useful :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Not necessarily very relevant, but I got the photo journal book of Lance's return to cycling for a present at Christmas. In a lot of his shots where he's in his hotel room, he's wearing these....or what appear to be these.
    Indeed he does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I bought the 2XU recovery socks, mainly to combat unsightly veins turning into anything worse. I don't notice any difference in terms of recovery, I think a pair of the leggings would be a better idea, but hopefully they will help improve venous return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

blorg wrote: »
    Indeed he does
    Jesus....I'd say Robin Williams is hard work! Sorry, who are you at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Cheers lad appreciate the advice...been doing a good bit of research on these but as said by some other poster, peoples opinions on them are pretty torn so still pretty unsure as to what to do. Might try them though, and hope for the best!

Advertisement