Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corrupted drive?

• 16-03-2010 9:49pm

Hi all,

Running Windows 7 and trying to access my old harddrive.I have it plugged into a usb carriage. When I plug the usb in its asking me to format the drive and saying it's unreadable and corrupted.

Is there anything I can do to get the info and files back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Hi all,

Running Windows 7 and trying to access my old harddrive.I have it plugged into a usb carriage. When I plug the usb in its asking me to format the drive and saying it's unreadable and corrupted.

Is there anything I can do to get the info and files back?

You might try Photorev. I haven't used it myself, but I've heart it's supposed to be pretty capable. Well worth a go, anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

formatting is the last thing you want to do !

try the drive on another PC first

it could be something like it had a specific drive geometry

photorec also do a testdisk tool that checks for partitions, use that first and verify it lists files correctly in sub folders before you try to fix a partition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 macnerdy

capt. is right,
    Plug it into another pc first and run chkdsk.
    If you dont have a spare pc or are tech phobic het a usb to sata/ide kit for about 20e. These are great. Just plug your drive into it and connect to any pc via a usb cable. Then just run chkdsk /f and see what it returns.

Advertisement