Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sally gap passable at the moment?

• 16-03-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭

Looking out the window from work I can see oodles of snow sitting on top of some of the mountains - think it might be kippure, but not 100% sure.....
    Anyway, was thinking of heading up sally tomorrow with the OH - is it passable or is there ice down? She would be rather nervous if there was any ice.
    Thanks
    K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I passed through Sallygap from Laragh side on Saturday, and came down via Featherbeds. There was snow around but the roads were completely clear. There was only one point where the snow touched the edges of the road and there the road was wet as the snow presumably was slowly melting - no ice though even though it was cold up there. I don't know whether more snow has fallen since then, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

No problems with snow or ice on the roads at least. Most of the snow you can see is well away from the roads and on sheltered parts of the mountainsides. Just watch out for the extra potholes dotted around.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭alentejo

Was up there today. All roads are fine however you need to keep a eye out for potholes. Roads not as bad as I thought they might be. Cold up there and windly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

There is a small bit of snow on the top of Kippure but the road up there and to Sally Gap is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

If you are descending from Sally Gap to Laragh via Glenmacnass the road is broken up with a lot of gravel in places near the waterfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Give it another few days and it will be all gone. Maybe a bit of rain before the weekend will finish it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Roads have been clear up there for weeks now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I drove up over Sally gap at the weekend with the family, first time up there in a car. Roads were clear but the snow and ice have had a huge impact on the road surface, particularly from Sally gap down to laragh. Be careful if on a bike descending - gravel and potholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Heading for Sally tomorrow for the first time ever on bike,a healthier way to spend the day than other years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

hawkwing wrote: »
    Heading for Sally tomorrow for the first time ever on bike,a healthier way to spend the day than other years :)
    I'd say "enjoy" but I doubt you will. "Experience it" is as close as it gets - it gets better after the first time - enjoyable even!. This is the OHs first time up there too... all going well.
    Which way you going up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Snow or no snow
    Gravel or no gravel

It is massively over-rated as a climb, but the deer are cool. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

tunney wrote: »
    It is massively over-rated as a climb, but the deer are cool. Enjoy.

I must admit it's one of my favourites. I can't put my finger on why exactly (it's certainly not the short, sharp sting after the waterfall entrance if you go that way) but I suspect it might be the lack of traffic and the scenery-or maybe I'm just a bit simple:D

kenmc wrote: »
    I'd say "enjoy" but I doubt you will. "Experience it" is as close as it gets - it gets better after the first time - enjoyable even!. This is the OHs first time up there too... all going well.
    Which way you going up?
    Just leaving now to do Roundwood-Sally-Laragh-Roundwood anticlockwise loop,new to the cycling so the i won't be going for any KOM points today:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Just leaving now to do Roundwood-Sally-Laragh-Roundwood anticlockwise loop,new to the cycling so the i won't be going for any KOM points today:o

Let us know how it goes! Planning on doing that loop this weekend and would be great to get a firsthand account of the state of the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Of the 4 approaches to Sally Gap I find that one the toughest climb, especially the bit above the lake at Luggala. Was up there last Sun. and thought I was going to have to get off and walk, the wheels were turning that slow.

Hope you managed it ok.

jimm wrote: »
    Of the 4 approaches to Sally Gap I find that one the toughest climb, especially the bit above the lake at Luggala. Was up there last Sun. and thought I was going to have to get off and walk, the wheels were turning that slow.

Hope you managed it ok.
    Just back from the spin.Drove to Roundwood as very inexperienced on the bike,i found the first part very steep before the lake on the left and was not sure looking at it would i get up but managed it.Got to the gap which took a while and headed back towards Laragh.Then the wind hit in bigtime and being a novice i was very uneasy as the bike was going from under me as being 137lbs i feared i was going to be swept away.Found the Sally Gap-Laragh-Roundwood part ok with not too much climbing.I was amazed how good the road surface was -25miles and hardly a pothole.Enjoyable experience that i would like to do again on a less windy day (if possible up there!).I think Laragh to SallyGap would be a tough climb as it seems very long but may try that next.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

I think Laragh to SallyGap would be a tough climb as it seems very long but may try that next.:)
    The way you went up is a good bit harder/steeper. As you say Laragh to Sally Gap is a lot longer, but the gradient is a lot less steep so you should manage it no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

Went the Laragh-Roundwood-Sally Gap-Laragh route yesterday myself.
    Road fine till last section from Glenmacnass down. Some sections are fairly rough, but passable. Got to slow right down though, which is a pain.
    First time up there myself too.
    Didn't know that the reverse route was easier!
    Saw loads of people out, including a couple of Boards tops in Roundwood on the way up.

Sorry to open up an old thread but does anyone know if Sally Gap is passable again. There was 3 feet of snow on the first of this month.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Drove over it on Friday... roundwood to kilbride. Lots of snow on the roundwood side but there was at least a car width clear the whle way. The road on that side is in ****e tho'... huge holes and lots of gravel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Up there today, fine just a bit of snow melting along the side of the road.
    Honestly the lambs are more trouble around Kilbride, Butter mountain.

Big thanks to 'Terry' a chap who stopped after I punctured 1.5 km from the top of the Gap. Struggled with the cold to get the tyre off. ITS OFFICIAL Bontrager 25mm Hardcase tyres and Fulcrum 5 wheels are a bad match. Must be at maximum tolerances for a tyre/wheel fit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭The_Claw

I was up there around 1.30 pm today and there was some snow around Sally Gap itself creating a bit of a traffic jam. A car track had been made through it but only one car track, so people travelling in different directions had to take turns, and I had to get off the bike at a couple of points. It's only for a kilometre or two though, and will be mostly gone by tomorrow I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The_Claw wrote: »
    I was up there around 1.30 pm today and there was some snow around Sally Gap itself creating a bit of a traffic jam. A car track had been made through it but only one car track, so people travelling in different directions had to take turns, and I had to get off the bike at a couple of points. It's only for a kilometre or two though, and will be mostly gone by tomorrow I'd guess.

Just down five minutes ago. Bar one part just above the junction its clear all along with the exception of a few drifts at places that narrow the road by around a foot or so. Its very passable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I get to use my photo again

sallygappass.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Careful about asking for snow reports in the Sally Gap...Planet X might go on a rant again!!:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭DonVincenzo

Just down five minutes ago. Bar one part just above the junction its clear all along with the exception of a few drifts at places that narrow the road by around a foot or so. Its very passable though.

Hi Folks - Any update on the snow/road situation in the Sally Gap / Luggala area? What was it like on Monday / Today?

I didn't get out on the bike at the weekend & need to get up to the mountains some evening this week.

Cheers
    The Don

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

Cycled the laragh-sally gap-laragh route on sunday. No issues with snow.
    Wind was something else though.
    Robert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

Sally Gap from all approaches was clear on Monday..fairly goddam windy tho

Newbie question, whats the Bohernabreena Road like? Never been down that way and its a fine day for a quick spin, especially as I fitted new bars yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Newbie question, whats the Bohernabreena Road like? Never been down that way and its a fine day for a quick spin, especially as I fitted new bars yesterday.
    Good surface on the Dublin side makes for a fast descent but beware of a few potholes on the side as you come around the corners. Surface on the other side is not so good at the start and generally has gravel/a river running down it but not for very far, only 4 or 500 metres. The Brittas side is a very short climb, the Dublin side much longer.

Rolling up and down bit at the top.

blorg wrote: »
    Good surface on the Dublin side makes for a fast descent but beware of a few potholes on the side as you come around the corners. Surface on the other side is not so good at the start and generally has gravel/a river running down it but not for very far, only 4 or 500 metres. The Brittas side is a very short climb, the Dublin side much longer.

Rolling up and down bit at the top.

I'm just going to climb stocking up to the viewing point, come across to the junction and then down into firhouse. I wont be pulling any great speed anyways, havent got the confidence for that yet, especially not on my bike:rolleyes:

Thanks Blorg.

Advertisement