Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantastic Wildlife Photograpy Opportunity

2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Grey Partridge conservation effort in Boora ?

Good thinking Batman! Given his handle (Browning - purveyors of fine Shotguns) I'd say you could be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

OP Is there public liability on the land in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Grey Partridge conservation effort in Boora ?

You may indeed be right

'The Irish Grey Partridge Conservation Trust is a registered charity established to support the on-going conservation efforts to secure wild Grey Partridge as a part of Ireland’s Natural Biodiversity. The Trust will also ensure that the plight of the species remains.......'

http://www.greypartridge.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Good thinking Batman! Given his handle (Browning - purveyors of fine Shotguns) I'd say you could be right.

Hang on a sec, are they bringing these creatures back from the brink of extinction so that they can SHOOT them ?? People never cease to amaze me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

I would say that Browning relates to the poet...Robert

'Oh to be in Boora - now that April's there'

(well nearly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

I'd be interested if I knew what species browning was talking about, however Offaly is not know for it's wildlife.
    The only rarity I've found mentioned in any book for Offaly is Ospery or Short-eared owls.
    Also anybody photographing rare wildlife needs a license from the NPWS which can take a few weeks to obtain.

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Also anybody photographing rare wildlife needs a license from the NPWS which can take a few weeks to obtain.

Where did you get that information?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

Where did you get that information?

The Wildlife acts 1976 and 2000 is the legislation to look at. For nearly all bird species you need a license to photograph on or near the nest.
    I have licenses for a few species.

Darragh

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Hang on a sec, are they bringing these creatures back from the brink of extinction so that they can SHOOT them ?? People never cease to amaze me :D

Not necessarily to shoot them but that's often a benefit if they recover. The extinction is because of the loss of habitat, not shooting. For example, the grouse in Scotland thrive because of shooting - the heather on the moor is managed by the gamekeepers to keep the population healthy. Without people paying big money to shoot them there would be no management, therefore no grouse.
    We lost our partridge here because of the intensive farming, not shooting. It's only local gun clubs that put partridge back on the ground. Likewise with pheasants - all those lovely pheasants you see wandering around are put there by local clubs and the big estates. I personally was involved with the release of over 1,000 pheasants and a heap of partridge this year alone in my area.
    So yes, there are strange people out there who put their hands in their pockets and spend lots of money keeping certain species alive, even if it is to shoot some of them. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement