Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden/lawn destroyed after building work-help?

Options
  • 16-03-2010 9:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,my garden has been more or less destroyed by building materials,cement and all sorts of gravel and shale getting trampled into the garden.The garden surface is heavily compacted and is destroyed at the moment

There is no grass anymore and no chance of anything growing in the future on it,going by how it looks now.:mad:

How would a novice like myself proceed with trying to claim back some sort of garden so that grass and plants/flowers can grow again?

In other words.....HELP:confused:

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

you have big problem. some shrubs can grow again if you cut just broken branches out. the flowers can grow again if you still have flower bulbs underground,just need to make soil soft on the top of the bulbs. i am not sure about the grass, because some grass may grow again and some not. it is depend how it looks now. the best think is put new grass, and plant new flowers in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Has it had machinery on it or just people tramping about? I suggest you need to remove concrete, timber, roof tiles, anything of that sort. A bit of sand and gravel won't do any harm. Then if it is people trampled get a rotovator on it, if it has been seriously compressed by heavy machinery you might have to get a small digger at it.

We had a lawn that was completely destroyed by building work, we had to re-seed the (small) lawn but the soil only needed to be dug with a spade and raked to revive it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The garden has had pallets of building materials on it,concrete blocks,bags of cement,lengths of timber,then loads of shale and ruble and bits of dried out cement and gravel getting walked/embedded into it,now the entire garden is just compacted with general building crud and bits of stone and cement and shale embedded into the garden.

The garden is now looking more like a dryed out dirt track and not a garden anymore.

I would like some sort of garden back,so what do i do?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well the people doing the work should have removed the crud, but thats in an ideal world. Get a small skip and chuck all the rubbish in it, hire a rotovator or find someone to rotovate it for you, rake smooth and grass it - though it would probably be better to grass it in the autumn as the weather/soil is so dry at the moment that heavy rain would destroy the new lawn, or it would die of drought, depending which way the weather goes.

Edit: Just seen the photo! Well dryness doesn't seem to be a problem. Even though it looks a bit of a mess at the moment, if you get rid of the rubbish you will be well on the way to getting it sorted. I think I would suggest you try and scrape up most of that shale stuff or you will be hacking mower blades off it for ever.

Advertisement