Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mourne Way Ultra Marathon & Marathon

Options
  • 16-03-2010 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi everyone

The 2010 Mourne Way Marathon will take place on 12 June 2010 in Rostrevor, Co Down. In addition to this event there will also be a Half Marathon, 10k and 26 mile Challenge Walk on the day of the event.

As a result of continued demands from last year’s competitors we have also introduced an Ultra Marathon into the mix this year – The distance of this Ultra will be 52 miles (just shy of 84km). This will be an “out and back” format on the main route of the marathon.

The routes of the Mourne Way Marathon, Challenge Walk, Mourne Way Half Marathon and Mourne Way 10k are linear routes, almost entirely off road (there is approximately 3 miles of road in the Ultra Race and 1.5 in both the marathon and half marathon), traversing the foothills of the Mourne Mountains passing Tollymore Forest, Fofanny Dam, Spelga Dam, Leitrim Lodge and Yellow Water before arriving at the finish in Kilbroney Park in Rostrevor. All routes are fully waymarked.

Entry fees range from £50.00 for the Ultra Marathon to £20.00 for the 10K.

For more information on the event please see www.mournewaymarathon.com and if anyone has any questions feel free to post here and I will check back regularly to answer them.

Prior to posting I have ran this post by the mods and have received the green light to do so. I am part of the 26extreme.com organising team behind this event.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RMac

After several months of negotiations we have just received notification from the Organisers of the ULTRA TRAIL DU MONT BLANC (www.ultratrailmb.com) that the 2010 Mourne Way Ultra will give 2 qualifying points for 2011 registrations.

Great news for the event as it is the only event in Northern Ireland and one of only a few in Ireland which has gained such status.

Looking to seing everyone on the start line of one of the Mourne Way events in 2010.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

hmmm now I'm out(ish) of Connemara this might be a good one to do instead.

52 miles and approximately 2800 meters of climbing.

Keep up the training and if you have any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

How does the course compare to say the Causeway Marathon? Would it be much harder?

Almost the same amount of climbing in the Mourne Way Marathon. Only thing is that the majority of it is in the first 13 miles. The Causeway Coast Marathon was more "rolling" than the Mourne Way.

Any more questions - fire away!

• Advertisement

I'm trying to quantify 2800 metres of climbing in my head. I could really use a big race to get excited about but this is 3 weeks after Edinburgh, I'll go for either this or Portumna 100k depending on how I progress over the next few weeks methinks.

Will the ultra be self-sufficient RMac or is it just water we're expected to carry ourselves?

Hi RQ

We will have water stations en route (plus there are several stream / river crossings on the way). The water stations will be stocked with water, oranges and bananas and will be located at approx 6 miles, 8 miles, 13 miles, 19 miles, 26 miles (turnaround point), 33 miles, 39 miles, 44 miles, 46 miles and 49 (water only) miles.

We are also examining the possibility of allowing each ultra runner to have a small box or bag left at the 26 mile turnaround point for them. More on that in the lead up to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

I loved the MW Marathon last year. Doubling it up to make the ultra makes it unmissable!

Enduro wrote: »
    I loved the MW Marathon last year. Doubling it up to make the ultra makes it unmissable!

After your performance at the WW Ultra yesterday we are going to have to search out for some competition for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Does anyone have the GPX file of the 26 mile Challenge Walk?

Advertisement