Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI 5780 and GA-P35-DS3P?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dcully wrote: »
    Quick question lads, im looking at replacing my 4870 1gig card with a 5780, im thinking its compatable with my mobo, just thought id check with you tech heads to be sure first :)

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2639&ProductName=GA-P35-DS3P

Yup the 5870 should work fine with that mobo. Tho the card is huge so its your case Id be more worried about :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Eh? Thought you were gunning for a HD 5770? :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Jaysus dont confuse me anymore than i already am Solitaire :P

Venom the case is an Antec 900

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Just out of curiousity, how much bigger is a 5870 than a 4870?

HD4870 - 9.5" (not many this length, some up to 3" shorter!)
    HD4890 - 9.5"
    HD5750 - 7.2"
    HD5770 - 8.2"
    HD5850 - 9.5"
    HD5870 - 10.5" (same as GTX295!)
    HD5970 - >12" :eek:

NOTE: The stock cooler shroud on HD5770 and up adds over half an inch to the card's length! :eek:

On the other hand, there are many non-reference designs out there, and almost all of them have shorter PCBs and cooler shrouds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Solitaire wrote: »
    HD4870 - 9.5" (not many this length, some up to 3" shorter!)

HD5970 - >12" :eek:

Holy Cow Batman :)

I just about managed to fit the 4870 into my case, its covering 2 of my four sata ports, and would need to be removed to replace/remove RAM! Just need working PSU :(

5970 is bigger than my case!slight exaggeration

Its bigger than a lot of cases! (well, before you smack into the drive bays anyway! :D) There's probably some room for manouever on the PCB by dropping the PCIe switch "below" the GPUs like Sapphire (or someone...) did with the HD4870X2 though... just no-one can be arsed to innovate anything in the current market :rolleyes:

Which brand would you suggest lads?
    Currently using a powercolor 4870,ive had XFX in the past too which were decent.
    Anything in particular i should watch out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

My 4850x2 is near 11" and fits in my Cooler Master 590 with another inch or so spare, surely the antec 900 would have as much space.

You could look for the cheapest, the coolest or the most powerful. Arguably the Asus 5870 is the best to OC, the custom design on the Sapphire cards are the coolest and the cheapest will be the reference design card and all the main players will have the reference designs around the same price(Exception being Asus since they have better caps and such). Look up the one with the best warranty and the least complaints with RMA and such

Sapphire - Cheapest, often have improved cooling or shorter PCB
    Sapphire Vapor-X - Quietest
    Asus - Best (or rather safest!) to OC, as they cover limited overvolting in the warranty

Have you given up on the HD5770 then? Or is this for a different build?

• Advertisement

I was never after the 5770 mate, my understanding is the 5870 is the superior card.
    I thought the 5770 was a budget card?

AH **** I mixed up the threads! :o Just ignore my ramblings :P

Advertisement