Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lorry vs Clio!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What. The. F.... :eek:

How is that even possible?

The Clio is still pretty much intact, so it must have ended up in front of the truck at a low speed and then got carried along and accelerated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

that has to be a setup, i drive a truck and there is no way ya could hit somethin even at a crawl and not know about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

holy fook!!

i know it looks real but how the hell did that even happen:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Mind boogling alright. Wonder if he was blind in one eye or something:confused:.

i'd say it was edited in, there would be a savage amount of smoke from the tyres on the clio until they blew or burnt out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Its like an ornament on the trucks front bumper :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Jesus,the driver would want be shot.It looks real which is shocking.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

guil wrote: »
    i'd say it was edited in, there would be a savage amount of smoke from the tyres on the clio until they blew or burnt out

the road wet so smoke wouldn't appear in these conditions.....my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Remember this?

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06/WheelchairKid_450x338.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/52193-wheelchair-man-goes-on-wild-ride&usg=__3IoHgHLuDEK9CgdObRCjes6nwCw=&h=338&w=450&sz=60&hl=en&start=1&sig2=AnNyb8J4bzYDO66DyV172g&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=qHgm8ReXouo69M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwheelchair%2Btruck%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=A6KgS5iuNtvPjAeVz4TKDQ

No offence to guil but some truck drivers are freakin idiots. Very unskilled job which attracts unskilled workers. I drove a truck myself before I trained up for a sales job and some of the drivers you would meet would frighten you. Couple of brain cells up from amoebas.

sz_danii wrote: »
    the road wet so smoke wouldn't appear in these conditions.....my opinion
    yeah ur probably right
    Berty wrote: »
    no offence taken, there is some dangerous lunatics on the road though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 gerdee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Its true for berty some of the talibans dont give a dam driving across other cars wouldnt bother them at all!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Crazy stuff, you would wonder how long it was stuck to the bumper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

gerdee wrote: »

The Mercedes was wrong hasn't he ever heard of his mirrors? He was in the lorries blind spot and when (if) he spotted the lorry merging he should either have moved back into his own lane and aborted the manoeuvre or else gunned the Merc and got the hell out of the trucks way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Id say its some kind of viral marketing video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Theta wrote: »
    Id say its some kind of viral marketing video.

+1 on that for me. The side of the truck says ARCLIO and there are no company results shown on a google search for it. On the other hand it does say ARCLIO, artic vs Clio maybe?

It doesn't look real to me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

high horse wrote: »
    +1 on that for me. The side of the truck says ARCLIO and there are no company results shown on a google search for it. On the other hand it does say ARCLIO, artic vs Clio maybe?

It says ARCLID - http://www.arclidtransport.co.uk/

This is an extremely good fake if it is one, can't see anything out of place. They even have the Clio headlights shining on the central barrier, also a transport company would not let their brand be used in a video like this.

high horse wrote: »

They exist alright down south of england,it's Arclid,they have a ball of trucks on the road carrying bulk powder tankers.
    And thats what makes me think its real,no boss man would have that on the internet as a marketing ad for his company and drivers.

Ciaran posted above with what I was trying to say.

Stinicker wrote: »
    The Mercedes was wrong hasn't he ever heard of his mirrors? He was in the lorries blind spot and when (if) he spotted the lorry merging he should either have moved back into his own lane and aborted the manoeuvre or else gunned the Merc and got the hell out of the trucks way!
    the truck was just as much in the wrong, theres 2 mirrors missin off it for a start

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

What I don't understand is why didn't any other vehicle on the road manage to flag the truck down or catch the drivers attention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Holy f*ck.

Professional driver right there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Anyone driven an HGV? Is that area a total blindspot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Saw similar happening on the airport roundabout. Small car straying out of lane, rear panel clipped by front corner of artic, next thing it's being pushed along broadside to the front bumper of the truck. Truck driver realised it immediately though and stopped. And that car was smaller than a Clio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Jip wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why didn't any other vehicle on the road manage to flag the truck down or catch the drivers attention.
    I'd be wary of coming alongside an artic with a Clio hanging off the front of it.

Hold on a second surely the Artic would feel somewhat heavier pushing a car sideways down a motorway? Also how long could the clios tyres hold out? It is wet ill give it that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

How much would you hate to be in that Clio!

I'd have hated to have been in it before the crash:D

Jip wrote: »

There was a programme on the telly a while ago about all the truck hijackings in the UK. Apparently if someone is trying to flag down a truck it more likely to be someone intent on hijacking the truck. So the driver may have ignored an attempt to flag him down mistakenly thinking someone was out to get him.

• Advertisement

Theta wrote: »
    Hold on a second surely the Artic would feel somewhat heavier pushing a car sideways down a motorway?

Maybe it did feel heavier but that had the drivers attention to the rear looking for plumes of smoke from a locked trailer wheel or something.

Yes, it is

Driving up to cars at traffic lights for example, depending on the truck and your seating position, the whole car in front of you could "disappear" from your vision if you drive right up to the bumper.

blind22.jpg

Not wrote: »
    Maybe it did feel heavier but that had the drivers attention to the rear looking for plumes of smoke from a locked trailer wheel or something.

Yeah but if you were driving a car and all of a sudden it became heavy wouldnt you at least slow down or pull over to investigate?

The drag from the little Clio on a wet road wouldn't amount to much more than the feeling of a very minor incline in the road.

Since the driver obviously wasn't paying any attention whatsoever, he probably didn't notice that either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I saw an artic completely push a car off the road and not even notice. The car drive had no idea what to do, how do you chase down a truck. I reported it to the next garda I saw but there was no reg on the trailer so I had nothing to give them. Truck driver was completely at fault as he changed lanes without noticing there might be a car there. This was at O'Connell Bridge. Truck was in the right hand lane and car in the left. Both lanes allowed to go straight ahead. The car stayed in her lane but the truck driver moved over in to the left hand lane and pushed the car to the side of the road and kept going as if nothing had happened.

I also saw a car get completely pushed by a truck like the clio at the roundabout up by Ballycoolin where the texaco garage is. It was slow traffic. The truck illegally came in from the right hand lane and hit the car spinning it around but the driver copped it and stopped after a few yards. Oh and this was the car behind me so could easily have been me had the truck been a few seconds quicker.

I've been driving them for the past 14years and yes that area is completely blind in the tractor unit he has.The advantages of sitting 12ft in the air in a space cab gives a slight disadvantage in that you cant see whats directly in front of you unless you lean forward out of the seat.

Another man commented there is it not like being in a car when you hit something,the simple answer is no.It's upwards of 52tonnes gross of steel.It takes a lot to put a dent in a truck bumper.I've had a few tip's in my time,thankfully no one was hurt and they weren't my fault and all you could say is they were like hitting a big pothole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I've been driving them for the past 14years and yes that area is completely blind in the tractor unit he has.The advantages of sitting 12ft in the air in a space cab gives a slight disadvantage in that you cant see whats directly in front of you unless you lean forward out of the seat.

Another man commented there is it not like being in a car when you hit something,the simple answer is no.It's upwards of 52tonnes gross of steel.It takes a lot to put a dent in a truck bumper.I've had a few tip's in my time,thankfully no one was hurt and they weren't my fault and all you could say is they were like hitting a big pothole.

Do any of the new trucks have cameras fitted to aid this?
    Also, 52tons!?

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Also, 52tons!?

No new truck comes spec'd with them,it's up to the owner/operator's choice whether he wants them.The only trucks I've seen with cameras are RHD units that are on the continent.the camera doesn't face to the front,it sits on the mirror stem on the left hand side with a wide angle view facing to what would be the ditch here and the road in Europe to give you a better chance of seeing something if it was there.
    52 was an error I'm sorry,meant to say 42 tonnes gross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Also, 52tons!?
    I thought they had a mirror attached to the roof of the cab directly in front of the passenger seat facing downward at an angle to the driver. Therefore the driver could see what is in front of the cab. They are definitely on some trucks.

cadaliac wrote: »
    I thought they had a mirror attached to the roof of the cab directly in front of the passenger seat facing downward at an angle to the driver. Therefore the driver could see what is in front of the cab. They are definitely on some trucks.

A pedestrian mirror,again I think it was Volvo that did a big push on them back around 00 but they never took off.

My own opinion on why that truck has the car there and didnt stop is road rage,I'd put money on it that they find the truck driver drove her up the road because she maddened him in some way.

• Advertisement

A pedestrian mirror,again I think it was Volvo that did a big push on them back around 00 but they never took off.

My own opinion on why that truck has the car there and didnt stop is road rage,I'd put money on it that they find the truck driver drove her up the road because she maddened him in some way.

Wasn't there talk a few years ago about making those pedestrian mirrors a legal requirement on HGV's ? What ever happened to that ?

It's frightening to realise just how little view a HGV driver has of the area directly in front of them, considering how often HGV' s will sit 6 inches away from the back of a car when they aren't happy with the speed the car is doing. So that means when I'm at 100km/h on the M50 and an artic is doing his best to nudge up against the back of the car without actually doing so, he's judging his distance on what he can see of my bonnet :eek::eek:.......:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Wasn't there talk a few years ago about making those pedestrian mirrors a legal requirement on HGV's ? What ever happened to that ?

I think this mirror might be standard on all 08 or 09 trucks. Might just be an initiative from a manufacturer though. It's the one in front of the windscreen.

31032009150.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

o

I agree. I'm a trucker, and was thinking about the incident while out driving yesterday. There is NO WAY he wouldn't have seen the car, or even when collecting it. I could understand if he hit with his rear end and didn't feel it but the front cab!!
    I understand the incident took place on January 13th and the police are now reinvestigating. The driver has now been suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I agree. I'm a trucker, and was thinking about the incident while out driving yesterday. There is NO WAY he wouldn't have seen the car, or even when collecting it. I could understand if he hit with his rear end and didn't feel it but the front cab!!
    I understand the incident took place on January 13th and the police are now reinvestigating. The driver has now been suspended.

With the radio belting and cruise control on, could it be the driver didn't feel/hear it?

It is hard to see how it could have happened by accident though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

conor_mc wrote: »
    With the radio belting and cruise control on, could it be the driver didn't feel/hear it?

It is hard to see how it could have happened by accident though.

The vibration from the car on the road surely would travel up the steering wheel. I think the driver just went mad..........but again who knows:confused:

There's always talk of something good but no action at all.

Guards want it so they dont have to pick people up from under the trucks,manufacturers wont spec them as standard because it would be them admitting there is a blindspot there,drivers want the pedestrians to be educated and not be so stupid and walk out whenever they feel like it,it's a vicious circle. And I'd be on the prevention is better than the cure side,stop people walking out willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sflemings

That clip seems a bit too good to be true. I also agree that with the road being wet maybe that's why no smoke was coming from the tyres. If it is real, I reckon the drive when a bit nuts. Maybe it was his x-wifes car and he wanted to take it for a ride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

sflemings wrote: »
    That clip seems a bit too good to be true. I also agree that with the road being wet maybe that's why no smoke was coming from the tyres. If it is real, I reckon the drive when a bit nuts. Maybe it was his x-wifes car and he wanted to take it for a ride!

The police are investigating and the company that owns the lorry have also said it is real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

I just all seems a bit mad, why is there no smoke coming from the cars tires, they'd be ridiculously hot!

Maybe it was a controlled stunt... never know.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

There's always talk of something good but no action at all.

Guards want it so they dont have to pick people up from under the trucks,manufacturers wont spec them as standard because it would be them admitting there is a blindspot there,drivers want the pedestrians to be educated and not be so stupid and walk out whenever they feel like it,it's a vicious circle. And I'd be on the prevention is better than the cure side,stop people walking out willy nilly.

New trucks from around 2007 under an EU directive, have a mandatory Class VI front mirror, but there is no requirement to retrofit. Another EU directive was to retrofit Class V mirrors (the one pointing down to the floor on the passenger door)

(I'm on the side of mandatory fitting of the front "cleavage" mirror. It's no good not being able to see down at the front of the queue at traffic lights :D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement