Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Born Every Minute

• 16-03-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone been watching this on Channel 4?

I'm not broody in any way but this programme has me bawling my eyes out every Tuesday night!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

Aw I love it! And I am a long, LONG away from having kids :D

I liked the episode where the baby was born with his bowel outside his body, his parents were so terrified and could't even hold him. Think it resonated with me because they were around my age too.

Really good programme!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I am and at first I didn't know if it was wise having had a traumatic birth recently. Bawled my eyes out at the poor girl afraid to hold her baby the first week when she said she felt like she was walking to her death as that's how I felt getting my section.

Every week there's a section and I cry but I'm finding it really cathartic and I can think about my own experience now and feel OK about it.

I loved the Asian woman and her Italian husband, comedy gold! It's a great programme to watch to get an insight into what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Shelga wrote: »
    Aw I love it! And I am a long, LONG away from having kids :D

I liked the episode where the baby was born with his bowel outside his body, his parents were so terrified and could't even hold him. Think it resonated with me because they were around my age too.

Really good programme!

I only got tv back recently, when is it one again? That was the only episode I had too! The woman having the waterbirth was amazing!! Not a sound out of her and she was crowning!

The blonde woman and her husband...the one who walked all the stairs...I felt so sorry for her! He was a right bastard.

The woman with the baby in SCBU made me cry too, I couldn't imagine being in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Love watching this! Missed it one week when I was in hospital and was raging, actually must watch that episode on the online player.

Oh yeah, I could watch it online too actually. Good call!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 allrounder26

its a reminder of my onw pregnancy and labour - i think its a really good thing to watch for new mums to be wish it was on when i was pregnant would have helpped a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KnocKnocKnock

I hated one of the husbands in the first episode, who was constantly jeering his wife saying "I'm going to do it all naturally" among other things and later trying to lock her in the toilet..
    I know he was trying to be funny but I found him so annoying! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Just wondering if the way it works in that programme compares to peoples experience of irish hospitals? It looks like a really good set-up, private rooms, chairs and baths and stuff. Are Irish hospitals set up like that?

Is this set in a midwife led unit? It seems like doctors are only called in when the midwife decides they are needed?

Every labour and delivery is like that. It's all run by the midwives, the doctors only come in to sign for meds and in case a cesarean or assited birth is needed. The midwives do all the hard work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

I've the same question as little my - if you're not a private patient, do you have a private room like that for the duration of your labour and then get moved into a ward?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Unless you're in established labour (3cms or more) then you'll most probably be in a pre labour ward. They then move you to a private room once you're in established labour and once you have baby are moved to the wards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Oh I love the programme... I felt so sorry for the guy this week whose partner was whisked off for a section - he looked so scared.

No kids yet and no immediate plans but still love it, and am a serial lurked in the pregnancy/parenting forum!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Little My wrote: »
    Just wondering if the way it works in that programme compares to peoples experience of irish hospitals? It looks like a really good set-up, private rooms, chairs and baths and stuff. Are Irish hospitals set up like that?

Is this set in a midwife led unit? It seems like doctors are only called in when the midwife decides they are needed?

No.
    No birthing chairs or birthing pools in irish hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Ah I love watching this! I find it fascinating to be able to witness such a really pivotal moment in people's lives. (It may be nosiness too) And I like the way it's kept very real and not over edited.

Not only does every episode make me want to sit and cuddle a tiny baby for hours but I think it's really lovely to see the touching exchanges between the new Mums and Dads. (When the guys are not being total buffoons that is, in which case I then want to thump them count to ten.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭athlone M

Have to say I am hooked on this program too I have had 2 children of my own in the past 2 years but I think when you are giving birth yourself you don't actually sit back and take stock of what is actually goin on and then there are so many situations for a woman giving birth I think its great to get a view of them especially if they were different to your own. Tuesday night was great to see the woman who was giving birth on her knees and you could see the babies head had been born and they were just waiting for the next contraction. Have to say though when they say a they baby is crowning it kinda brings back memories for me of when I had my daughter as I had nodrugs I felt the entire experience!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

enjoying the programme, have to admit every time I see a little one arrive, I have a tear in my eye ,such a saddo!
    Am not looking forward to next tuesdays programme as it is about premature babies, and as have had two , I have no doubt the tears gates will be open at the sight of an incubator. better stock up on the tissues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I love this show too - it's scary cos it removes any sort of glamour from the task of having a baby!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sureone

Love this programme. Very educational for those who will be experiencing it one day. That girl who was WHALING in the second episode, the 20 year old...god almighty i was very close to turning off the tv because of her! painful! ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Fantastic program, I keep forgetting to switch over as its on the same time as Desperate Housewives.
    I seen it the week the red haired girl that was having a natural birth had her partner there and he was a complete and utter ar$ehole, so condesending to the poor girl.

I found it fascinating seeing the birth process as giving birth its one of the bits you don't see :) It actually wasn't as gorey as I thought and gave me a good idea of what to expect when I gave birth a few weeks ago.

I well up myself when I see the little new borns being handed to mum for the first time, makes we want another already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Starting now on C4 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

God, I missed it again, keep forgetting its on!! Did have a scoot through the website and some of the videos there yesterday, was in bits watching it!!

Advertisement