Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSN + J1 question

• 16-03-2010 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hey,

A few friends and I are doing the J1 this summer and I have a question.
    • My mother my born is the US and holds a US passport. She lives in Ireland now, for the past 18 or so years
    • My father I don't really talk to but lives in the US permanently
    • I was born in Ireland but moved to the US when I was 3months for about a year or so.

My mother handed me a piece of paper with my name and social security number on it this week. Can I work on this? Does it expire? It says its for permanent residents and there is no expiration date on it. Would I be able to just book flights and skip the whole J1 visa part?

Thanks for any input. I'm pretty clueless

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The SSN is still valid, and you can use it (some things like getting insurance or some contracts may require it). BUT it is not a visa nor a greencard. So you will still need a J1.

You MAY have a claim to US citizenship though, if either your father or mother were US citizens before your birth: http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_609.html

Advertisement