Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm needs a phone line?

Options
  • 16-03-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Im hoping someone can give me some advice if possible..

My father in law got an NTL package today that includes fibre broadband,phone and television.

When the installer came out he said that there could be problems with the security alarm as it needs a phone line to work.

Currently when the alarm goes off a text message is sent informing us that the alarm has gone off.

On the control panel it says HKC Secure watch.

My question is ...

Is it true that a phone line is needed for this alarm to function?
    If not is there a way to disconnect it?
    We have no problem in losing the text message functionality....

Ive googled this a bit but im not coming up with anything..

Thanks a mill in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Im hoping someone can give me some advice if possible..

My father in law got an NTL package today that includes fibre broadband,phone and television.

When the installer came out he said that there could be problems with the security alarm as it needs a phone line to work.

Currently when the alarm goes off a text message is sent informing us that the alarm has gone off.

On the control panel it says HKC Secure watch.

My question is ...

Is it true that a phone line is needed for this alarm to function?
    If not is there a way to disconnect it?
    We have no problem in losing the text message functionality....

Ive googled this a bit but im not coming up with anything..

Thanks a mill in advance

The alarm will work without the phone line but the text feature wont. You should get a yellow fault light on the alarm and the keypad will state LINE FAULT but the alarm will still set and unset. If you wanted you could get your installer to remove the text dialer from the alarm. This will stop the line fault coming up on the keypad and the fault light will go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Thanks a mill for that altor..

He has no interest in getting the text message function as his bills are nearly halfed by going with NTL so its well worth losing the text message functionality.

Was just chatting to him there.. He said he was talking to the alarm installer today and he said it needs a phone line for definite...

I knew this sounded wrong.

So as far as your concerned the alarm will work 100% besides the fault message?

Thanks a mill for that altor..

He has no interest in getting the text message function as his bills are nearly halfed by going with NTL so its well worth losing the text message functionality.

Was just chatting to him there.. He said he was talking to the alarm installer today and he said it needs a phone line for definite...

I knew this sounded wrong.

So as far as your concerned the alarm will work 100% besides the fault message?

I know it for a fact so if he says it wont work he is wrong. He may be telling your father the text wont work without the phone line, well i hope he is :D If your father wanted to he could install a gsm for the alarm but for the HKC the are expensive. He would also have remote access to the alarm plus still get his texts if the alarm activates.

Thats what I thought..

I thought it was very strange that you would need a phone line even if you werent using any of the phone functions...

GSM dialers are just a way of getting notified when the alarm goes off arent they?

Dont really want any of that stuff. Just the alarm to go off when ever it should..

Think he should just pull the plug on the current phone provider and live with the Fault message on the panel...

Is removing the text dialer a big job?

Thats what I thought..

I thought it was very strange that you would need a phone line even if you werent using any of the phone functions...

GSM dialers are just a way of getting notified when the alarm goes off arent they?

Dont really want any of that stuff. Just the alarm to go off when ever it should..

Think he should just pull the plug on the current phone provider and live with the Fault message on the panel...

Is removing the text dialer a big job?

With the HKC GSM you can arm, disarm your alarm, also.
    Its not a big job, just a change in the programming. If you can get the eng code off your alarm i would be more than happy to talk you through doing this over the phone.

• Advertisement

Thats very kind of you altor.

Is the engineer code written on the control panel itself?

If the default codes have been changed by the installer is there a chance it could go off and I wont be able to disable it?

Thats very kind of you altor.

Is the engineer code written on the control panel itself?

If the default codes have been changed by the installer is there a chance it could go off and I wont be able to disable it?

Always happy to help if i can..
    Afraid not. The default is 04567 but the installer would of changed this code, if you can get this code off him i can talk you through changing the setting on the keypad.

Thats brilliant altor.

Really appreciate your help.

Will give you a shout when I get the engineer code :D

Thats brilliant altor.

Really appreciate your help.

Will give you a shout when I get the engineer code :D

You will get my mobile number on my site when you get the code.

Kind regards,

Altor.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Spook80

hey just thought id add that if you get the engineer code then you can go into the serial port menu and turn off the monitor line option. This way it wont look for a line and therefore have no fault light.

• Advertisement

Well thanks to Altor Security Systems all is sorted now.

Its nice to know that someone out there knows what they're doing.

The original installer had left the default code at 4567 which altor talked me through changing to a more secure code.

Anyone who knew anything at all about alarms could have strolled into my house and turned off the alarm.

My phone line is also sorted due to the monitor line setting that he talked me through.

Its kinda scary to think that some people can install a system without really knowing 100% how they actually work.

Will definitely be giving you a shout if I need anything done with my alarm or cctv system in future.

Thanks for sharing your expertise and your time Altor.

Well thanks to Altor Security Systems all is sorted now.

Its nice to know that someone out there knows what they're doing.

The original installer had left the default code at 4567 which altor talked me through changing to a more secure code.

Anyone who knew anything at all about alarms could have strolled into my house and turned off the alarm.

My phone line is also sorted due to the monitor line setting that he talked me through.

Its kinda scary to think that some people can install a system without really knowing 100% how they actually work.

Will definitely be giving you a shout if I need anything done with my alarm or cctv system in future.

Thanks for sharing your expertise and your time Altor.

Your welcome bigbadcon, always happy to help when i can :D

Advertisement