Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with Dell Dimension E520 - Won't Boot

• 16-03-2010 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

OK, I've a fair bit of tech knowledge,done it in college. But this problem is getting past me.

OK, Its a Dell Dimension E520, about 2 years old.
    When I power it on, The fan starts up and stays on, but the power light stays constant amber.no diagnostic lights come on and nothing coems up on the monitor.I have not made any hardware or software changes in weeks. i shut it down and about an hour later when I went to turn it on, this happened.

So, What I tried.....
    removing the 2 RAM sticks and reseating them, also the same with the PCI Video & WLAN card and dusting off with spray air.
    Also removed and refitted all the cables on the mobo.

Still no luck. The amber light is also on on the MOBO.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dazgib

OK, I took out the CMOS battery, unplugged the power, held in the Powe button to drain residual power. Plugged it back in and powered it on and it booted. loaded the BIOS this time and gave an error on a black screen
    drive 0: Disk Drive
    Floppy Diskette seek failure
    time of day not set - please run setup
    ivalied config info - please run setup
    alert! ssytem battery voltage is low

So i had it down to the disk drive/floppy disk and now the green diagnostics lights on the front confirmed the disk drive/floppy drive error. looked again and found the power cable to the DVD Drive was loose. So its working now

So popped back in the CMOS

booting the BIOS fine and then black screen:
    drive 0: Disk Drive
    Floppy Diskette seek failure

So im getting this error even though the DVD Drive is working and I dont have a floppy disk drive?
    running dell diagnostics now....

Advertisement