Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrapyard trade-ins?

Options
  • 16-03-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

I've a Fiat Punto for sale and it's not getting much attention at all.

There is a bit of damage on the passenger side doors but all else is perfect.

NCT is up this month and don't want to go through with it again for fear it may fail.

So I was wondering do you think a scrapyard may take the car off me and give me another car from there for maybe the same value?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

You really dont want to be buying another car from a scrap yard. There's a reason its there in the first place.

What year is your Punto, have you got it advertised and if so can you post a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I understand that it's just Fiat's don't have the best reputation.

It's a 00 Punto and all the information about it is in the original post and comments that follow.

Link is http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=187265&cat=500

How much are you willing to spend with the Punto OP or do you want to spend anything at all?

There are lots of cars for 500 quid on DoneDeal.ie, the bigger and older the car you buy the better the value is. Really you'll get something with tax and test for that money. I'd sling the Punto into Merlin auction and see what it makes, you might be suprised. Also Adverts just seems to attract alot of flutes who'll ask you ten million questions and then offer you a fifth of what you want for the car, dont mind what reaction you get there trying to sell your car.

If it takes money to sell it I'd be more than happy to invest in it.

I never thought of Merlin auctions actually but the way situations are here I'd rather sell it privately.

What do you think would be the best way to sell it, like if I got 500 quid I'd be jumping with joy.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    What do you think would be the best way to sell it, like if I got 500 quid I'd be jumping with joy.

Well its funny the price stuff is making in Merlin at the moment.I'd try it if I was you. I'd say no matter how bad it is you'll still come home with a cheque for 250-300 quid after the auction.

Heres a few bargains I spotted....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1189804

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1204632

• Advertisement

Will have to try out Merlin soon, but just going to try advertise it privately a little more first.

God, they are good but I'm looking for the smaller type car (hatchback I think they are called). Only starting off, well driving a little while but smaller cars suit me better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NCT is up this month and don't want to go through with it again for fear it may fail.

In fairness OP if you the owner fear it will not pass the NCT then you can expect any potential buyers to think the same and not take the risk at any price.
    If it takes money to sell it I'd be more than happy to invest in it.

Why not spend €50 and send it through the NCT and let the test tell you what needs doing, you can then decide if you want to spend the money or not. You never know it may pass or only need small money spent to pass, either way you will know for sure.

It will also take away some of the unknown for a potential buyer if they can see the fail sheet as to what they need to spend on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

just stick it on ebay...people buy all sorts of cr... i mean stuff on there.

(btw how can you describe it as excellent condtion and then say its got a dented door?...might put off buyers that...)

Oh and you reallly need a photo up on there if its got a hope of selling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I understand that it's just Fiat's don't have the best reputation.

It's a 00 Punto and all the information about it is in the original post and comments that follow.

Link is http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=187265&cat=500

Sorry to say, but if I would be looking a car like that, 200e max, old Punto, high milage and no nct + damage.

Actually even 200e would be too much if the damage is bad one. There are loads of good cars in the market for that price you are asking, without dents or missing NCT test.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 151 ✭✭greenermetals

Any car that is in a scrap yard has to have been issued a Certificate of Destruction by the Authorised Treatment Facility (recycling yard), if it hasnt then the yard is operating illegally. If one of those CoDs has been issued, then it has been deregistered by Shannon, and cant be on the road. If it hasnt a CoD issued, then the owner is more than likely unlicensed or at worst unscrupulous. I wouldnt take a car of him if he paid me, so i wouldnt advise you to swap a car with him. I operate a yard in North Co Dublin and we have more Fiat Puntos coming in here then anything else, the value of them is zero. If you decide to sell it on, make sure to get the docs transferred as it will come back on you if the car is involved in an accident. If you are scrapping it make sure you get a CoD as its the only thing that can deregister a car, and that includes the taxbook, ticking the scrapped box on the log book is no longer enough. You can only get CoDs at licenced facilities. If you are interested in scrapping your car legally then take a look at our website, www.elvs.ie, we do everything right and guarantee there will be no comebacks on the owner after scrappage.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement