Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What conenction is needed from phone socket to Router?

• 17-03-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I ordered Eircom Broadband today.
    Broadband will be enabled on the line in 10 days, and I will get the router in 15.

Thing is, I have a spare router in the house, once the broadband is enabled, how can I test it with my existing router, IE what kind of connection is needed from line socket to router, is it just a standard phone line? (It is a netgear router)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cork_south wrote: »
    Hi,
    I ordered Eircom Broadband today.
    Broadband will be enabled on the line in 10 days, and I will get the router in 15.

Thing is, I have a spare router in the house, once the broadband is enabled, how can I test it with my existing router, IE what kind of connection is needed from line socket to router, is it just a standard phone line? (It is a netgear router)

Yes but is it a router you have or a router with an integrated modem? If it is the latter and you were not with Eircom before then you will need to set up the basic eircom settings for sign in which can be found on the Eircom website.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

dub45 wrote: »
    Yes but is it a router you have or a router with an integrated modem? If it is the latter and you were not with Eircom before then you will need to set up the basic eircom settings for sign in which can be found on the Eircom website.

am not too sure if it has an integrated modem.
    its a router i got off my brother who was with NTL.
    ill take a look on the eircom site and try find the settings.
    does it just need a normal phone connection from socket to router though yeah?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cork_south wrote: »
    am not too sure if it has an integrated modem.
    its a router i got off my brother who was with NTL.
    ill take a look on the eircom site and try find the settings.
    does it just need a normal phone connection from socket to router though yeah?

If your brother was using it with NTL then it is virtually certain that what you have is a router as it would have been used to connect to the NTL modem.

You wont be able to use it to connect directly to the phone line. To make doubly sure get the model no and google for it or go to the netgear website. www.netgear.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi,

Does the router have a phone line socket on the back panel?

Is there a ADSL or DSL light on the front panel?

If yes, then connect a phone line from the wall socket to the phone line in socket on the router, when the ADSL/DSL light stays on solid your internet connection is live/working.

Then enter into the router/modem the password and user ID that your internet service provider sent you and your connected.

Thanks guys, its a Netgear wgr614, looks like its just a Router with no modem capabilities :(
    There's actually no phone line socket by the looks of things.
    Is there any way around this, or do I just need to wait for Eircom to send the Netopia yoke?

image001.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wait or buy a modem, those are your options.

The modem might arrive before the DSL is connected anyway, so it's not going to make much of a difference. If not, it'll be within days anyway.

jor el wrote: »
    Wait or buy a modem, those are your options.

The modem might arrive before the DSL is connected anyway, so it's not going to make much of a difference. If not, it'll be within days anyway.

cheers!

Advertisement