Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia Router Replacement

• 17-03-2010 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

This has been my mind for a while so I might aswell try and get an answer for it.

Is there any point replacing my bog standard netopia router that eircom throw at you with something a bit more sophisticated. Would it increase speeds that I would be seeing for my current connection?

Might be a stupid question but might as well ask.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

netopia is ok if its just surfing and a bit of downloading
    I had one for years, its very limited in how it can be configured right for online gaming with playstation network, you cant get NAT2 with it,
    i found it struggles with streaming high quality movies, i have since replaced it as it wasnt good enough for what i need
    but if its just standard surfing etc you do it's fine, changing router wont help with any noticeable speed increase

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

BOBBY wrote: »
    netopia is ok if its just surfing and a bit of downloading
    I had one for years, its very limited in how it can be configured right for online gaming with playstation network, you cant get NAT2 with it,
    i found it struggles with streaming high quality movies, i have since replaced it as it wasnt good enough for what i need
    but if its just standard surfing etc you do it's fine, changing router wont help with any noticeable speed increase

What new router did you buy?I find I can only get Nat3 with it too.

Also streaming movies to the ps3 is rubbish too.Stutters even in SD movies.

Did your new router fix these issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I tried all the major brand routers and ended up with these http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0623463/Trail/searchtext%3ENETGEAR.htm for the PS3 and this router http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337363, I have 3 Xbox's and a PS3 wired to it and the rest wireless, all have open or type 2 NAT.
    The PS3 now streams all media without issue. You can get different Homeplugs elsewhere cheaper but I was impatient and also like the Argos return option. HTH.

P.S. all routers were the same as the the netopia for browsing but the NAT status was the issue for me.....the DLINK gave all consoles the desired NAT, hence why I stuck with that one.

I tried all the major brand routers and ended up with these http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0623463/Trail/searchtext%3ENETGEAR.htm for the PS3 and this router http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337363, I have 3 Xbox's and a PS3 wired to it and the rest wireless, all have open or type 2 NAT.
    The PS3 now streams all media without issue. You can get different Homeplugs elsewhere cheaper but I was impatient and also like the Argos return option. HTH.

P.S. all routers were the same as the the netopia for browsing but the NAT status was the issue for me.....the DLINK gave all consoles the desired NAT, hence why I stuck with that one.

I might get that.

I've always found that streaming via wifi is unreliable.My PS3 will be connected wirelessly so I'd like to hear from people who's PS3 is wirelessly connected and have Nat 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I have NAT2 on the PS3 but its the Video streaming that can/could be problematic.....hence the homplugs.

Someone is selling one of these routers on gumtree...http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/37/51357737.html, its the package with the wireless dongle. HTH.

To be honest I found it easier to put my files on a portable HDD and use the PS3 that way to play media.

P.S. the 2740b MUST have the firmware updated before using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

harryohh wrote: »
    What new router did you buy?I find I can only get Nat3 with it too.

Also streaming movies to the ps3 is rubbish too.Stutters even in SD movies.

Did your new router fix these issues?
    +1 for the dlink,
    i got this one d-link 2740b 100 bucks on elara site, but worth it imo, even has 11 yr manufacture guarantee written on the box,
    for ps3 importantly it had DMZ option, and easy PF options, so NAT2 with OPEN NAT when i play cod online,
    as for streaming, the odd time can still be a bit choppy, but i blame my machine for that, maybe its not buffering the best, depends, it can be great sometimes on streaming an mkv then struggle with a regular avi, i have turned down the quality settings a notch on the ps3mediaserver settings, and it works perfect, the loss of quality, you wouldnt notice it !

good luck

BOBBY wrote: »
    +1 for the dlink,
    i got this one d-link 2740b 100 bucks on elara site, but worth it imo, even has 11 yr manufacture guarantee written on the box,
    for ps3 importantly it had DMZ option, and easy PF options, so NAT2 with OPEN NAT when i play cod online,
    as for streaming, the odd time can still be a bit choppy, but i blame my machine for that, maybe its not buffering the best, depends, it can be great sometimes on streaming an mkv then struggle with a regular avi, i have turned down the quality settings a notch on the ps3mediaserver settings, and it works perfect, the loss of quality, you wouldnt notice it !

good luck

Thanks for the tips but i feel €100 isn't worth it just to get NAT 2.I can play games and use the microphone fine while playing my PS3 online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you're going to stream to the PS3, then your source should be wired to the router. If the source is wireless too, then that's going to severely limit your bandwidth, as you're uploading and downloading via wireless simultaneously. This is going to cripple your speeds.

I use home plugs to wire the computer into the router, and then the PS3 and other media players can connect via wireless.

The distance from the router to your devices can also effect the quality of streamed video.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Do you have the name and model number please as the link is no longer valid

Advertisement