Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Hull manager.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Grant is such a class act that he wouldnt leave pompey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd be gutted if I was a Hull fan. I think that's a desperate appointment. I thought I heard Coppell and Southgate were in the frame. I think they would have been more promising names than Dowie. He's been working as a correspondent on Soccer Saturday ffs. Who will be his assistant? John Salako?

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

May as well of hired me tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'd be gutted if I was a Hull fan. I think that's a desperate appointment. I thought I heard Coppell and Southgate were in the frame. I think they would have been more promising names than Dowie. He's been working as a correspondent on Soccer Saturday ffs. Who will be his assistant? John Salako?

Dean Windass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Strange one, would have thought they could tempt someone a little better on a short term deal with options if he kept them up

wouldnt have sacked Brown myself actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Headshot wrote: »
    His brothel is closer to Pompey.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Nobody even interviewed yet according th SS News

Headshot wrote: »

seems like a good opportunity to again state my love for Avram Grant

What a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

kryogen wrote: »
    Strange one, would have thought they could tempt someone a little better on a short term deal with options if he kept them up

Actually, the short term deal appears to be the problem. I had heard today that the chairman wont commit beyond the end of the season because the finances are ****ed. It was said in the media a few weeks back that even if Hull stay up they have a shortfall of £16m that needs to be plugged. Curbs and Hughes and the like were only willing to take the job on if it was a long term deal supposedly.

Actually, the short term deal appears to be the problem. I had heard today that the chairman wont commit beyond the end of the season because the finances are ****ed. It was said in the media a few weeks back that even if Hull stay up they have a shortfall of £16m that needs to be plugged. Curbs and Hughes and the like were only willing to take the job on if it was a long term deal supposedly.

Couldnt see Hughes taking it anyway tbh, he will get his chance at a bigger team imo

Hull are in serious trouble alright, didnt Venables answer a call from Middlesborough a few years back and take a short term deal with the idea of just saving them from relegation?

maybe they should call him!

could see Taylor maybe being interested, also Megson, if they cant get a proven manager in id be tempted to give Horton the rest of the season

and hire Windass to work with him, to get stuck into the players and inspiration etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Kammy's your only man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I thought Alan Curbishley was favourite? Also Steve Coppell is still available.

Both better than Iain Dowie ffs. I suppose he would get him off Gillette Soccer Saturday...

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I thought Alan Curbishley was favourite? Also Steve Coppell is still available.

Both better than Iain Dowie ffs. I suppose he would get him off Gillette Soccer Saturday...

no way i could see Curbs taking the job tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Couldnt see Hughes taking it anyway tbh, he will get his chance at a bigger team imo

Hull are in serious trouble alright, didnt Venables answer a call from Middlesborough a few years back and take a short term deal with the idea of just saving them from relegation?

maybe they should call him!

could see Taylor maybe being interested, also Megson, if they cant get a proven manager in id be tempted to give Horton the rest of the season

and hire Windass to work with him, to get stuck into the players and inspiration etc.

Replacing one perma-tanned manager with another,I like your thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've won medals the last three seasons with Boardeaux

AND I don't sing.

Reckon I should be in with a shout.

id give you my backing Des

can call Pearson in the morning to set up a meeting if you like?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

id give you my backing Des

sweet, I'm deffo in then.

I couldn't walk away though, some day we'll win the CL

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Give Jimmy B the job. Hiring a popular player as manager has never failed a team yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

it's official now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hull_city/8571513.stm

edit: Being relegated again can't be good for Stephen Hunt's confidence. I wonder if he'll move at the end of the season. I'd say he'd be a strong addition to any side in the bottom half of the table.

edit 2: Their remaining fixtures are not that tough:

portsmouth a
    fulham h
    stoke a
    burnley h
    birmingham a
    sunderland h
    wigan a
    liverpool a

Wolves and Burnley have harder fixtures ahead, overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

/runs to Betfair to place a fifty on Hull going down

EDIT: 1.93?! Feck that

• Advertisement

Dowie or no Dowie, i think they have a decent chance of staying up, less now they sacked Brown of course, but if Bullard stays fit they can pick up points in that run in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just reading in that Times article:
    It seems that [Dowie] appealed to Hull primarily because he was inexpensive and instantly available.

Yep. They're going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Why would you sack Phil Brown and hire Ian Dowie in his place???:confused::confused::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wow, I was naive in thinking they sacked Brown because they already had someone else lined up. How fúcking retarded can you get!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I can see the logic of shaking it up by getting rid of Brown and bringing in a new face - but the face of dowie coming into the dressingroom will surely lead to Relagation certainties - silly move to be honest - they have no chance of staying up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Dowie: King of The Championship. Hull have chosen well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

34ss8ow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Think it was a shocking decision to sack Brown at this stage in the season. Hope Hull get religated now, feel sorry for Hunt tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I think this will make all the difference to Hull

I think some people are blind to the poision of Phil Brown and what a 24-carot w****r he is. The players didn't like him, they didn't want to play for him and any replacement for him is an improvement.

Would you want to play for a guy who does a half-time teamtalk on the pich in front of the Hull fans at The City of Manchester Stadium when the team are losing 4-0....just so he can say to the world, "Hey I'm a brilliant manager with my lovely car - it's these gimps who are making a mess of things"....all while wagging the finger at them....and then go to the media and tout himself as a future England manager.

I also think one or two are underestimating Dowie a little. He does tend to get good results in the short term when he takes over a club (Crystal Palace and Coventry - both saved from relegation by him - albeit, from the Championship).

Hull will survive! Not necessarily good for Ireland though...coz it'll probably be at the expense of Wolves!

Advertisement