Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio watershed ??

• 17-03-2010 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

When I was about 12 years old (now 30), they changed the name of the teenage mutant ninja turtles to Hero tutrles (in Ireland) because "Ninja" was to violent a word.
    What has happened since ?
    The radio now is crammed with sexual and drug innuendo, it's seems the more of this, they more popular the tune.
    I have a 6 year old daughter and am almost afraid to turn the radio on in the car for fear of Rihanna's new tune coming on, call me a prude but I dont want my daughter going to school singing..

Come here rude boy, boy
    Can you get it up
    Come here rude boy, boy
    Is you big enough
    Take it, take it
    Baby, baby
    Take it, take it
    Love me, love me

Tonight
    I'mma let you be the captain
    Tonight
    I'mma let you do your thing, yeah
    Tonight
    I'mma let you be a rider
    Giddy up
    Giddy up
    Giddy up, babe.

Obviously this is one of many many of these kinda songs repeated on the radio day after day after day.

I Think there should be a watershed for this kinda thing.

Back me up here..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

don't really listen to the radio anymore with kids in the car after Ray Darcy consistently has sexual referenced content and has used expletives numerous times.. when he said the word 'prick' a few months ago it was the final straw... its not as if he has to use such language but then again he probably thinks that its edgy and its whats being said on the street amongst the people so its appropriate. imbecile if you ask me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 vincenzo1

just saw the video, so that is rihannaa...catchy tune too, but for kids?? no i dont think so.
    its rated R by itunes, is that restricted? surely a radio station would have to be responsible about when it plays it??
    what is to be done about it though, this is the music that sells. i hate to think that this music would influence the younger generation(teens), but that seems to be the way the world and society is going-complete breakdown in respect, values etc and we are all too busy trying to make ends meet, make a pile more money to do anything about it.
    What can one person/group/nation do to stop the effects and changes taking place due to the sudden onslaught of multi media?
    do we want to do anything?
    Is this just society evolving?

getting back to the point, i think you had a valid one, there are tunes out there that are not for the ears of young children!

p.s.by the way they were always teenage mutant ninja turtles...heroes in a half shell!! turtle power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Hey, how would you explain to your 6yo what a presenter was talking about when he said he had given up **** for Lent.
    This was at 2.12 yesterday afternoon on a station aimed at kids (and some would say run by kids, but not me:D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

vincenzo1 wrote: »
    just saw the video, so that is rihannaa...catchy tune too, but for kids?? no i dont think so.
    its rated R by itunes, is that restricted? surely a radio station would have to be responsible about when it plays it??
    what is to be done about it though, this is the music that sells. i hate to think that this music would influence the younger generation(teens), but that seems to be the way the world and society is going-complete breakdown in respect, values etc and we are all too busy trying to make ends meet, make a pile more money to do anything about it.
    What can one person/group/nation do to stop the effects and changes taking place due to the sudden onslaught of multi media?
    do we want to do anything?
    Is this just society evolving?

getting back to the point, i think you had a valid one, there are tunes out there that are not for the ears of young children!

p.s.by the way they were always teenage mutant ninja turtles...heroes in a half shell!! turtle power!

Thanks for the reply but I stand by my turtle knowledge :)
    teenage_mutant_hero_turtles.jpgteenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-11.jpg

It was changed because "NINJA" was to violent a word :D.

EDIT :

Rated R means you need to be accompanied by an adult, unless you're over 17 years old. This is because the movie may contain nudity, offensive language, drugs, sexual activity and etc.

It's stands for restricted, In movies and music.

To Add, Rhianna's album is called... Rated R. What a coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

When I was about 12 years old (now 30), they changed the name of the teenage mutant ninja turtles to Hero tutrles (in Ireland) because "Ninja" was to violent a word.
    What has happened since ?
    The radio now is crammed with sexual and drug innuendo, it's seems the more of this, they more popular the tune.
    I have a 6 year old daughter and am almost afraid to turn the radio on in the car for fear of Rihanna's new tune coming on, call me a prude but I dont want my daughter going to school singing..

Come here rude boy, boy
    Can you get it up
    Come here rude boy, boy
    Is you big enough
    Take it, take it
    Baby, baby
    Take it, take it
    Love me, love me

Tonight
    I'mma let you be the captain
    Tonight
    I'mma let you do your thing, yeah
    Tonight
    I'mma let you be a rider
    Giddy up
    Giddy up
    Giddy up, babe.

Obviously this is one of many many of these kinda songs repeated on the radio day after day after day.

I Think there should be a watershed for this kinda thing.

Back me up here..

BAAH it's nothing new , no worse than this timeless classic.

Relax don't do it
    When you want to to go to it
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to suck to it
    Relax don't do it
    When you want to come
    Come-oh oh oh

Ban it and it obtains cult status, leave it alone and in a few weeks it'll disappear into oblivion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement