Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with the neighbours!

Options
  • 17-03-2010 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Ok folks i need your help. I got a beautiful cat a few weeks ago (from here actually) and hes the business.Thanks J&S ;)

Now we all know how we love our furry friends but unfortunately not everyone thinks like us. I think cats have a harder time trying to "fit in" to a neighbourhood than dogs do and would love my neighbours to maybe..not love him...but just not to scare him off so much (hes a nervous nelly outside at the minute).
    I live in an apartment block and theres a mixed bag of people but i was thinking of putting a "letter from him" just telling the neighbours who he is (cheesy i know).

I know cats do grand indoors (seriously,i know :p) but i think a wander outside every now and then is good. So..is the letter attached a cheesy McCheese way of softening the neigbours or should i say nothin or leave him indoors permanently (and he'll know no better)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

i think it's a good idea, at least people won't think he's a stray

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I think it's a lovely idea - it would certainly make me smile & keep a look out for your cat (but then again, I like cats!) Can't see how it would offend or upset anyone, at the worst they might just think you're a bit doolally ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Have you checked the terms of the management company of the apartment building? Very few apartment buildings allow pets. Even if you bought your apartment you don't own it, you own the use of the apartment but not the property so you are required to obey building rules. I suggest you are 100% sure you are allowed to have a pet before announcing to the building that you have a cat. If you aren't allowed to have a pet and one of your neighbours has a problem with it they could report you to the management company and you would have to give the cat away.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

thats such a sweet letter how could they think otherwise! hope it goes well for you and your kitty:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It is a sweet idea.

However this is the real world and the truth is, most people wont care.
    the odd weirdo (they do exist) may get the hump with a "who does this woman think she is" attitude.

but my opinion is that its a great idea and if I saw your kitty I would of course say hello to my cat neighbour :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can get cat harnesses think you can get them on zooplus.
    If some neighbours don't like cats then it wouldn't be fair for them to have to put up with other peoples pets, dogs aren't supposed to wander so neither should cats for their own saftey.

I love cats but not everyone does sadly, perhaps trying the cat harness some cats might hate it but might be worth a try. It's not as barmy as you'd think, you can get harnesses for rabbits and birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

While I do appreciate the sincerity and good intent of your letter, you'll have to just accept that some people just don't like cat's and be a responsible owner and take them into consideration too. I imagine a cat wandering around an apartment block to be frowned upon as it may try and run through front doors as people open them and such and in the end your cat may end up being viewed as a pest and you as a bad owner.

I don't like cats and I don't apologose for it, it's just me, but that aside, my neighbours cats drive me mad when they're let out (and I live in a semi-detached house!)! I can't leave my back door open for air because they run in, they sit on my window cills (making them dirty), the dig & defecate in my flowerbeds, they torment my dogs when they're out the back (i.e sitting on a high perch over them miaowing :mad:) which always results in a cacophony of barks which makes me look like a git to the other neighbours etc etc etc. As a result, my opinion is the whole "do unto others" approach in how you treat your pet. I wouldn't let my cat/dog wander into other peoples property (or anywhere for that matter) because I don't like it being done to me and while I really love my dogs to bits, I fully accept that not everyone else loves them too (especially being an Akita owner which automatically puts fear into the hearts of the ignorant)

I'm really not having a go at you, it's a good idea IN CASE he gets out, to let your neighbours know who owns him but I certainly wouldn't be letting him out to wander around in the name of consideration. Just my opinion anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Thanks Folks! I knew id get a mixed bag of responses which is fair enough and they have made me think. I had an amazing dog for 14 yrs and realise i dont apply the same rules at all which is terrible.
    dogs aren't supposed to wander so neither should cats for their own saftey.
    I love cats but not everyone does sadly,.
    So true. I think its fine for cats to wander outside all day, but wouldnt dream its acceptable for a dog.Lesson 1.
    iguana wrote: »
    If you aren't allowed to have a pet and one of your neighbours has a problem with it they could report you to the management company and you would have to give the cat away.
    I completely agree. While our apt rules dont "technically" allow pets, loads of us have them and its basically accepted until somebody complains. It takes ONE badly behaved pet for to have it all go wrong. Im very conscious of non-animal lovers.
    LisaO wrote: »
    at the worst they might just think you're a bit doolally ;)
    :D yeh me too!

Hmmm...the dilemma,joys and worry about what your neighbours a.k.a complete strangers think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

You can get cat harnesses think you can get them on zooplus.
    If some neighbours don't like cats then it wouldn't be fair for them to have to put up with other peoples pets, dogs aren't supposed to wander so neither should cats for their own saftey.

I love cats but not everyone does sadly, perhaps trying the cat harness some cats might hate it but might be worth a try. It's not as barmy as you'd think, you can get harnesses for rabbits and birds.

This is a good idea. When I lived in an apartment I had an indoor cat and used to take him to Phoenix Park with a harness and leash! He liked it, and we usually just got people coming up admiring him, cos he was cute. :D The odd crazy toothless man would be like, "Is that a cat" but they were drunk so yeah . . . we even got free Cheerios thanks to him, and a girl handing out Cheerios who liked the cat. :D Just make sure to use a harness and not a collar, because they can slip off collars easily.

I personally wouldn't let a cat out in an apartment block, but it's up to you really. It seems a bit dangerous. I do let my cats outside, but I'm in the country . . .

Advertisement