Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddys Day Parade

• 17-03-2010 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what time the parade is due to start today lads?

thinking of bringing the baby in to see it

anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

12 o'clock

and 12:20 on RTE :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

1 o clock in waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

starting at 1,its theme is called 'through the looking glass' which will celebrate the history of waterford crystal in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

waterford crystal is history alright ..
    why did they have to close roads @ 9.30 this morn if its @ 1pm:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hoffmans wrote: »
    waterford crystal is history alright ..
    why did they have to close roads @ 9.30 this morn if its @ 1pm:confused:

Prepare the parade route, barriers etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Clever name for a theme must be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The sun (weak) is just starting to poke through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Good afternoon from the Mall! Plenty of colour and enthusiasm in the parade. Not a whole lot of music at all which would help. Loads of empty gaps, but the kids are having a ball. Highlight for me was the visit of Rescue 117 our SAR helicopter. They got a good reception from the crowd, and rightly so. Very muted reception overall from the crowd. People don't seem 'in to it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

ah give em they'll get into it,
    will be all down john street boxing da heads of each other later this evening as per usual.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 al20v

Does anyone have photos from it, couldn't make it with work :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Whose bright idea was it to have all the traffic lights off and no Gardai on point duty at half of them? Coming home, I was surprised to see nobody manning the Barrack St./Morrissons Rd. area or The Marrion area, two junctions which are a bit more complex than normal. There were plenty of others unmanned too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Glad it stayed dry for the parade.Now I hope the heavens open!Yes I am evil :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Trotter wrote: »
    Good afternoon from the Mall! Plenty of colour and enthusiasm in the parade. Not a whole lot of music at all which would help. Loads of empty gaps, but the kids are having a ball. Highlight for me was the visit of Rescue 117 our SAR helicopter. They got a good reception from the crowd, and rightly so. Very muted reception overall from the crowd. People don't seem 'in to it'.

Maybe people weren't into it because they didn't think much of it. I didn't go to it but my husband and children did and thought it was one of the poorest Paddy's Day parades that they've ever seen. Their highlight was the free breakfast rolls that Denny were giving out.

maybe it was because of the theme?bit depressing seein as the glass factory aint around no more.recession style parade?
    didnt see it myself so i dont know how good or bad it was.

is it just me or theyre dont seem to be many people at paddys day parades in town anymore watchin it?was barely anyone there last year far as i remember.when i was a kid it used to be packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

It seemed like there was some kind of a delay near the end and a lot of people went off not realising there were still some groups and floats left to come.
    It must have been dis-heartening for those involved because they were walking down the Quay with a very small crowd actually still watching .
    Anyway heres a few photos024.jpg
    028.jpg
    029.jpg
    030.jpg
    032.jpg
    011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Waterford City Parade Videos in parts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

107942.jpg

107941.jpg

107940.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

From the video clips the numbers attending appear down on previous years.

deisemum wrote: »
    From the video clips the numbers attending appear down on previous years.

just like i said in a previous message.crowds are nowhere as big as when i was a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I enjoyed it even though I was getting cold waiting around for it.
    There was a big crowd i thought. I don't think it is fair to say it was smaller than last year if you weren't there and are only judging it by the photos.
    I wasn't at it last year so I can't comment if last years crowd was bigger.
    One big difference is that it was sunnier last year.
    So that may affects crowds.

There was a few gaps in the parade of mins going by which was annoying. Not sure if there was coordinators walking along side the parade of not keeping the show running smoothly. I got the impression it was individuals stopping and starting at their own discretion. Maybe I am wrong, but I didnt see event people/coordinators with walkie talkies walking along the side line in the middle of the parade pushing it along to stop the big gaps.

It was nice to see the South East Search and Rescue Helicopter turn up especially with the controlled leaked announcement the Government 'may be cutting the 24 hour service'

Do you know what would have been cool to see for a change....
    Funxy's car collection - the Diablo & exige.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

anplaya wrote: »
    just like i said in a previous message.crowds are nowhere as big as when i was a kid.

thats cos your after growing since you where a kid.

seanybiker wrote: »
    thats cos your after growing since you where a kid.

haha someones a comedian.:rolleyes: ya know what i meant.

Advertisement