Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First ever roast dinner

Options
  • 17-03-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

So as the Title suggests I'm cooking my first ever roast dinner today... It's for my OH's parents who only like very very plain food so I won't be trying anything adventurous but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips? The thing I'm most worried about is the timings!

The only hint I have so far is that no soak marrowfat peas actually take longer to cook than it says on the pack and to allow time for that... But getting a roast chicken, roast potatoes, carrot &parsnip, peas and gravy all ready together at once seems next to impossible! And then I'm making a crumble for after, argh!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Gravy can be done at any time and reheated. The carrots & parsnip and the peas will stay hot in the pot with the heat off and the lids left on, so don't worry about having these cooked slighhtly before the rest. You can always turn the heat on and stir continuously to reheat and avoid burning when serving if they've cooled too much.

This leaves the roast chicken and spuds to time together. Par boil the potatoes and leave them aside. About 20/25 minutes before your chicken is done pop them in the oil/lard and into the oven, just keep an eye on them and based regularly.

The crumble can also be done in advance and put into the oven at a low heat to warm up when you take the chicken out.

Just keep the head and don't panic and it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I agree with Mr. Magnolia.

I would cook the vege well before, and microwaving just before serving. They will never know the difference.

+1 for parboiling the potatoes in advance also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Thanks - will do that I think, have chicken in oven but dinner time is getting later and later lol it'll be tea by the time I'm done!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

How'd it work out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Oh it was such a success - I amazed myself to be honest! However I chickened out and sent the OH to buy an apple tart instead of making the crumble, I was feeling too stressed and wanted to concentrate on the dinner.

I cut a lemon in half and shoved it and about 4 cloves garlic into the cavity of chicken then rubbed salt, pepper and olive oil over the chicken and it was so tasty - I was glad that couldn't really taste the lemon, but it just gave it an extra something.

The gravy took two attempts but I got there in the end. Nearly had a stroke when went to put tin with olive oil in it in the oven to heat up and it didn't fit! (new apartment). My dad came to the rescue - he drove over with one of my mam's smaller tins and my OH went down and stood on road so he just slowed down, gave it to him and continued on lol.

Every scrap of it got eaten and I'd make it again, might even try the crumble next time! I'm enjoying starting to cook but it's quite stressful at times!!

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I@ll be looking for more sooner rather than later!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Great to hear that it went so well! congratulations

Few things for next time.

1. whack up the oven to the max and put the chicken in to sizzle for about 15-20 minutes (think I normally use 20 minutes).

2. then put your par-boiled potatoes in so you get nice crispy veggies and reduce your oven down to the normal temperature. You can lash in the ones you want to roast then as well.

3. Or do the spuds and veggies in a separate tin and chuck half a a glass of white wine in with the chicken. You get a beautiful jus at the end of it and don't need gravy (though I don't think it would stretch to four people).

4. Really, really, really important to rest the chicken at the end of the roast. For at least 15 minutes. Cover with foil to keep warm.

Advertisement