Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

360 slim on the way?

• 17-03-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

500x_kotchip.jpg
    These pictures apparently show the guts of a new model of the Xbox 360. The important bits? The fact that for the first time the console combines the CPU and the GPU in a single chip. Oh, and it's small.

The pic above shows the board in question, with the chip part of a rumoured redesign for the Xbox 360 console, testing of which has recently been completed in China. This isn't simply a new board for the existing hardware, either; it's reportedly a total redesign of the console. Think the PS3 Slim, only...for an Xbox 360.

Now, considering the source, there's every reason to be sceptical of the images, and the info. Then again, with Natal due later this year, rebooting the 360 itself to go along with it would make a lot of sense, especially if a reduction in size could come with a reduction in cost.
    Source: Kotaku

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I wonder if its JTAGable? ;P

EDIT: this one definitely is, so many headers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

it is possible that ms would want to redesign the 360 for the natal launch especially for the casual market they are aiming for. this should make the 360 cheaper and get another one over on sony when they are releasing the playstation move in the same time frame. also from what i've read this should reduce the heat produced and maybe the end of the rrod and the reduce the noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hmmm.. As long as it cuts down on the amount of RRODs it can only be seen as a good thing!

Can see Sony having another price cut by the time they release Move though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

mailrewop wrote: »
    it is possible that ms would want to redesign the 360 for the natal launch especially for the casual market they are aiming for. this should make the 360 cheaper and get another one over on sony when they are releasing the playstation move in the same time frame. also from what i've read this should reduce the heat produced and maybe the end of the rrod and the reduce the noise.

Wasn't there already an issue where Steve Ballmer was attributed to saying natal would be accompanied by a new xbox or was the new xbox? Only for it to be clarified as a newer version of the 360 given that natal is supposed to extend the life of the 360?

I cant find an exact link to it but im pretty sure i read it in edge or one of the xbox mags, but here was the clarifying message

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/996/996584p1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Here is a detailed look at the board...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/18/leaked-xbox-360-valhalla-motherboard-analyzed-by-ben-heck/

I'd probably get one if this is true, having an optical out on the board would make it more flexible for different amp setups, and it would be great for me set up at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

probably wont be a slim this is just the vahalla mobo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

CKWPORT wrote: »
    I'd probably get one if this is true, having an optical out on the board would make it more flexible for different amp setups, and it would be great for me set up at home.

What difference would it make? Theres always a optical out available on the current 360 :confused:

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    What difference would it make? Theres always a optical out available on the current 360 :confused:

There is not. There is a optical out in HDTV cable or the sound breakout cable to use with HDMI. So basically if you want to have a surround sound with your new arcade you have to buy an extra cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

No-Hdmi output on it ? Would have thought that was more important ,than an optical output.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    No-Hdmi output on it ? Would have thought that was more important ,than an optical output.

I'm 101% sure that there will be one, we have to remember that this is a leaked photo of prototype, so there might be some minor changes or the board might look completely different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

docentore wrote: »
    I'm 101% sure that there will be one, we have to remember that this is a leaked photo of prototype, so there might be some minor changes or the board might look completely different

Hopefully ,it's not just for picture ,it's sound I'd be worried about aswell. Hdmi amps will become cheaper and I'm sure people will opt for the hdmi does all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

It'll definetly have HDMI and god knows how old this pic is as there has been talk of the Valhalla chipset since before the jasper chipset was released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

docentore wrote: »
    There is not. There is a optical out in HDTV cable or the sound breakout cable to use with HDMI. So basically if you want to have a surround sound with your new arcade you have to buy an extra cable

But the majority won't be buying an arcade 360 and it doesn't really explain why this situation will be more attractive to CKW. Also if you pull the casing off the cable you get with the arcade 360 you can use it as a breakout with HDMI :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    But the majority won't be buying an arcade 360 and it doesn't really explain why this situation will be more attractive to CKW. Also if you pull the casing off the cable you get with the arcade 360 you can use it as a breakout with HDMI :pac:

It is more attractive to me because I can have everything hooked up to my Onkyo 307 Amp using HDMI and have surround sound too.

For some odd reason the Onkyo 307, which is a entry level amp does not output sound input via HDMI through the speakers connected to it. Only 5.1 delivered via optical is output to the speakers.

So, I have to use component/optical lead to get my 5.1 audio.

So, if this new 360 slim has HDMI and an optical connection on the board, it will make it a lot more flexible and should work with all the odd video and audio setups some of us have.

Advertisement