Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest fragrance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I have roughly 70-100 euro to spend on a bottle of cologne, I'm 18 years old, so I'd want something that would suit my age. Haven't spent that much on a bottle of cologne before, bar one bottle of Paco Rabanne One Million, and I liked the fragrance, but I think it smelled a lot cheaper than the price tag, and I want something that will stand out, and One Million is worn by practically everyone my age that's willing to fork out that much for aftershave. I'd be looking for something with a powerful, but not overpowering smell, something between having to point it out for someone to smell it and being smellable from 10 feet away. I tend to like "sweeter" scents, rather than muskier ones. And, nearly as importantly, I know at this price it might be hard, but I'd be looking for something that isn't particularly well known, something that most people wouldn't recognise the smell of.

Good man. Its a good trait to already to want something different and stay away from the common scents that every other person wears (Armani Code / One Million / Hugo Boss (though some grand HB ones) etc).
    I like it, you'll go places.

If you're willing to go to 100, i'd seriously recommend finding an extra 10 quid somewhere and getting a 30ml bottle of Creed ie
    http://www.brownthomas.com/mens-fragrance/green-irish-tweed-30ml-spray-for-men/invt/47x2854xcmgit30

As you're looking for something different, and you mention sweet maybe:
    http://www.brownthomas.com/signature-fragrances/tom-ford-noir-50ml/invt/147x4012xt14f01

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Slattsy wrote: »
    Good man. Its a good trait to already to want something different and stay away from the common scents that every other person wears (Armani Code / One Million / Hugo Boss (though some grand HB ones) etc).
    I like it, you'll go places.

If you're willing to go to 100, i'd seriously recommend finding an extra 10 quid somewhere and getting a 30ml bottle of Creed ie
    http://www.brownthomas.com/mens-fragrance/green-irish-tweed-30ml-spray-for-men/invt/47x2854xcmgit30

As you're looking for something different, and you mention sweet maybe:
    http://www.brownthomas.com/signature-fragrances/tom-ford-noir-50ml/invt/147x4012xt14f01
    Thank you for the suggestion, I've actually considered buying a small bottle of a Creed fragrance before, as I've heard very good things about them, and it's definitely something I plan on doing in the future. But for right now, I'm looking for more of an every day fragrance, and I'd be aiming to get a 75-100ml bottle for that price, which I should've said in my original post. Creed is definitely something I intend to look into in the near future when I've some spare cash, though probably more as a special occasion cologne, but for now I'm looking for something a good bit cheaper to wear every day.

Thank you for the suggestion, I've actually considered buying a small bottle of a Creed fragrance before, as I've heard very good things about them, and it's definitely something I plan on doing in the future. But for right now, I'm looking for more of an every day fragrance, and I'd be aiming to get a 75-100ml bottle for that price, which I should've said in my original post. Creed is definitely something I intend to look into in the near future when I've some spare cash, though probably more as a special occasion cologne, but for now I'm looking for something a good bit cheaper to wear every day.

Cool man.
    I have just the ticket for you then and trust me on this.
    Well i had a sample of this a while back and nearly picked it up as a work scent. Very suitable for every day wear, really clean and fresh.
    http://www.brownthomas.com/yves-saint-laurent/lhomme-libre-eau-de-toilette-100ml/invt/70x2174xl129970

Def something i'd consider and may go back to for summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I have roughly 70-100 euro to spend on a bottle of cologne, I'm 18 years old, so I'd want something that would suit my age. Haven't spent that much on a bottle of cologne before, bar one bottle of Paco Rabanne One Million, and I liked the fragrance, but I think it smelled a lot cheaper than the price tag, and I want something that will stand out, and One Million is worn by practically everyone my age that's willing to fork out that much for aftershave. I'd be looking for something with a powerful, but not overpowering smell, something between having to point it out for someone to smell it and being smellable from 10 feet away. I tend to like "sweeter" scents, rather than muskier ones. And, nearly as importantly, I know at this price it might be hard, but I'd be looking for something that isn't particularly well known, something that most people wouldn't recognise the smell of.

Hilfiger athletic cologne if you can get your hands on it,very rare as its discontinued think theres one bottle for sale on amazon,my second favorite fragrance and one that really stands out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Bleu de Chanel. Universal frag that's fresh and distinctive but easy on the nose and can be used for all occasions. Everybody likes it and you'll receive compliments from the ladies. ;) Definitely check it out and buy a sample from ebay or try a spray in any department store. It's a good introduction for somebody getting into their fragrances imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

I have 3 at the moment...issey miyake (l'eau d'issy), Allure Chanel and Viktor & Rolf: spice bomb.

Allure and spice bomb have more of a manly fragrance, but not overpowering. Both very unique smells.

Issey miyake is a strange one, but my all time favourite. Really fresh smell, and very unique. Also lasts the whole day. Never without a bottle if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

My top EDT's:

Emporio Armani - Il
    Burberry Touch
    Yves Saint Laurent - L'Homme
    Christian Dior - Homme Intense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Mont Blanc - Individual hard enough to get though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Gunney

Try the Pehnaligons or the Maison Martin Margiela Replicas - only Jazz Room and Barbershop for men so far but they are sweet and within your price range.

In terms of powerful you can't beat Polo Green original - seriously, just a dab behind the ears. When used lightly most people don't recognise it.

Guerlin L'Instant should be considered and anything by Tom Ford - Grey Vetyver works with suits and casual gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Picked up a 30ml bottle of lacoste challenge in mcabes swords reduced from 38€ to 20€ well worth it for that money, a very nice fragrance,a sporty fresh smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

any of you tried dunhill desire (red)? its an old one. just looking for similar ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Got a bottle of this in the post today. For that price I couldnt say no, it is gorgeous imo, not as sickly as Le Male. Some serious bargains on that site with a bit of digging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Can't stand Le Male aka The Scent Of Every Mens Nightclub Bathroom In Ireland.

I have a hard time with fragrances as a lot of them give me awful headaches but Chanel Allure (the original, never tried the others) and Prada Amber pour Homme just reek of class and quality. Great stuff.

I would also give my left arm for a fragrance that smelled like the red Brylcreem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

L'eau de Issey and dolce and gabbana the one are my personal picks, honourable mention to Boss orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Was up in Debenhams trying everything and Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme 75ml was nice

Is there anywhere on line to get better value all I know of is strawberry.net

Was up in Debenhams trying everything and Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme 75ml was nice

Is there anywhere on line to get better value all I know of is strawberry.net

Try the Issey on you and walk around wearing it for a few hours before you buy it. It's notorious for giving people headaches and there's nothing worse than spending €60 on fragrance that you can't wear.

Didn't actually think men still wore JPG these days. Thought it was discontinued or something. Awful stuff.

All over Kilian these days fwiw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Slattsy wrote: »
    Didn't actually think men still wore JPG these days. Thought it was discontinued or something. Awful stuff.

All over Kilian these days fwiw.

Every second man drowns themselves in the stuff from my experience. There's no fragrance that quite reminds me of a saturday night in temple bar than the obnoxious scent of le male.

Hate to say this, but my favourite fragrance Terre D'hermes is starting to bore me. Any suggestions on a nice deep fragrance? I'm over the citris buzz.

Every second man drowns themselves in the stuff from my experience. There's no fragrance that quite reminds me of a saturday night in temple bar than the obnoxious scent of le male.

Hate to say this, but my favourite fragrance Terre D'hermes is starting to bore me. Any suggestions on a nice deep fragrance? I'm over the citris buzz.

We're in the wrong season for it now but Chanel Antaeus is about as rich and deep as it gets. Smells like the inside of an old E-Type Jag with leather seats and beeswax but it has a real 'dirty' note to it that would kill you in the summertime. You'd need to be over 30 for it to work but it's a real change from a lot of modern bland fragances. It's the kind of stuff I'd imagine Tony Montana wearing.

lizzyman wrote: »
    We're in the wrong season for it now but Chanel Antaeus is about as rich and deep as it gets. Smells like the inside of an old E-Type Jag with leather seats and beeswax but it has a real 'dirty' note to it that would kill you in the summertime. You'd need to be over 30 for it to work but it's a real change from a lot of modern bland fragances. It's the kind of stuff I'd imagine Tony Montana wearing.

Sounds like it's worth a whiff, need a scent to compliment me when i'm walking around town with my M16

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Interesting thread lads...
    I've hugo boss and bleu de Chanel on the shelf at the moment
    I do like the Clique Happy too
    Have some samples of greenwood and Hermes which are quite nice
    Surprised to see no one has mentioned Tom Ford from scanning the last few pages..

My wife works for a cosmetics counter and she gets a certain amount of product each month and samples (mostly female stuff) so I've been asking her to save up for a couple of months and I'm gonna get some of the Tom Ford exclusive collection ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Swanley

Drop of washing up liquid in a water spray bottle for me. Two sprays in the morning and two sprays at night; a spray of washing up liquid, makes a gentleman smell just right.

Sounds like it's worth a whiff, need a scent to compliment me when i'm walking around town with my M16

Haha yeah, it just has that vibe about it. Definitely worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

I'm curious: What sort of shower gel do you gents wear to complement your fancy scents?! Do people buy the matching shower gel or just go with an ould bottle of Lynx or such like?

Nope, I just use whatever shíte is on sale in Tesco. Usually get the Sanex unscented as it doesn't dry out the skin so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have to use unscented body wash due to a skin condition. But no, nothing special.

Ted Baker or that Sport Fish shower gel stuff both have scents that really cling to the body for the day, so they're well worth the money if you want the scent. I also have tonnes of shower gel from fragrance sets that i get at christmas and stuff that last me a good while so generally i don't need to buy any until the summer.

Apparently the Sport Fish shower gel makes me almost edible in a sexy way so it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

After much experimentation, I've found Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce to be the scent that I like best myself as well as it being the scent I get most compliments on. I guess it is a more of a younger man's cologne but it's great during the day or night. Well worth it in my opinion regardless of all the hate A&F gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

David Beckham's shower gel for me. Can only find it in one shop in England. I'll have to top up before I move back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

David Beckham's shower gel for me. Can only find it in one shop in England. I'll have to top up before I move back.
    I'd say boots would stock it.

Advertisement