Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olly Murs - Dragon disgrace

• 17-03-2010 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Went to "see" Olly Murs in concert last night at the Dragon. What a disaster. The venue was terrible, long wait for drinks, rude staff, long waits for toilets. He finally arrived at 1am and was booed off the stage after only 15 minutes performing. In fairness to him the crowd was pissed off more at the bad organisation rather than him. Tickets were €26.50 each - I bought several of them for a birthday party so it was an expensive mistake. You couldn't even see the stage - I watched my 15 minutes on a telly. X Factor's Jamie and Danyl were also there but left shortly after Olly got booed off. Did anyone else think it was bad?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Totally agree, the biggest rip off I've ever experienced. Bouncers said he as coming on at 1115 which resulted in everyone milling to the so called "stage" for two hours before he appeared to do four songs in fifteen minutes. Did he not realise that people had paid 25 euro to see him and stood around for hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kevp

"Did he not realise that people had paid 25 euro to see him and stood around for hours?"

He seemed really shocked at the hostile crowd. I felt sorry for him to be honest. I don't suppose the promotors will be refunding people? The least they could do is apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

WTF is that about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

:confused: Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 newark farm

We were there too - went out for dinner and friends who were at the X Factor show texted us as soon as it finished, so we got to the Dragon at 10.30. Stood in the one spot for nearly two and a half hours with one drink as couldnt get anywhere near the bar. Eventually left at 12.55 - as no-one in the place seemed to know if Olly was going to appear or not. We couldnt wait any longer as we had a babysitter at home. The venue was a complete disaster - way, way overcrowded. I dont know how many people were in there, but Id say at the very most, only about 100 of them were able to see the stage...What a cheek to charge 25 euro- they must have known the majority of people wouldnt see a thing. Gards were outside when we left as big row was developing between bouncers and pissed off people like us who were leaving before he came on...What a disaster of a night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 kimpossible

I was there too, an absolute disater of a night! we arrived at 10am we had been drinking in places on George's St before hand, if we'd have known he wasn't starting until 1am we wouldnt have bothered arriving until then because it didnt make a difference - we still wouldn't have got a good view & we wouldnt have been giving the Dragon any more of our money! :mad:
    Leaving was a joke, everyone was crammed into the area outside the cloak room/toilets and there was an ambulance crew there for some girl who'd cut her leg/ foot badly.
    Complete rip-off. That was probably the only night out for alot of people, given so many people are out of work and they still wont give people value for money.

The issue was raised on the Joe Duffy show yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

I was there too, an absolute disater of a night! we arrived at 10am we had been drinking in places on George's St before hand, !

I'm surprised you can even remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kimpossible

:D hehe! We remembered because it was impossible to get to the bar in the dragon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

:D hehe! We remembered because it was kimimpossible to get to the bar in the dragon!

FYP :rolleyes:

My mate was goin eppo about this, heard it was really bad!
    Its a fxckin disgrace that they charged people 27 odd euro to see him. I saw Ruth Lorenzo in 3 clubs last year, where she did a decent set of about 6 songs. (Got to meet her n all! woop) The first 2 times were in clubs, where we only paid the normal cover charge. The 3rd was a charity event, tickets were 15 euro

My mate said he was a bit of a prick too, sayin somethin along the lines of "what else did you expect"

TBH Olly is just milkin people with sex appeal. Like fair enough hes a decent singer, but never did anything amazin on the show, and constantly opened his shirt [cringe!]

I hope everyones gna get together and demand refunds etc. This only happens cos people do nothing about it!

FYI, Stacey Solomon will be playin in Break for the Border April 13th (Tues night) @ 1am
    Think the cover is like, €5

[Stacey > Olly]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Interesting people would pay money to come to his concert and then boo him, he turned up in fairness, and actually attempted to perform....as a performer I wouldn't take that kind of hostile attitude from the crowd...I'd be freaked that my head was about to be kicked in!

Having said that, to have only attempted to start performing at 1am, even by Axl Rose standards that's pretty late!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Considering the x-factor show wasn't over till nearly 11pm in the O2 he did quite well to do all the meet and greets backstage all the photographs and autographs outside and still be on stage in the Dragon 2 hours later.

Don't think Olly is at fault here, its the organisers i blame. If some people had of done there homework they should damn well of known he was not going to b on stage 15mins after the xfactor O2 gig was over. COP ON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

First off I'd be amazed if it was only €5 for stacey.

Secondly, the problem with these acts is that their sold to as many places as possible for as much as possible, regardless of the suitability of the venue. They'll often do more than one venue in a night as well.

They have 5 minutes of fame and promoters need to exploit that for as much as possible.

The promoters will argue that they're just trying to meet demand and to be honest as long as people are willing to pay €20 plus for 15 mins of entertainment then they're entitled. X factor is horrible, the lowest of the low as entertainment go but the women, the gay men and the men without credability will continue to devour it and subsequently get ripped off.

Maybe this year, for the last time, people have a right to moan and give out but the next time you see one of these x-factor losers (that is officially what they are yes?) in your local for €25 if you go, you should know exactly what you're gonna be in for (doors open 9pm - act saunters on stage at 1 and fu cks off at quarter past)...and you have no right to complain.

Stop buying the tickets and maybe they'll stay where they came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

27 quid to see a karaoke show. If you're that thick you deserve a shít night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

First off I'd be amazed if it was only €5 for stacey
    It will be, they do it every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

27 Euro:eek: I would've thought the whole lot of them including the winner would be less than half that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

in january in the george *only time their im not gay btw lol* danyl johnson was there and sang...no entry fee NOTHING was good craic...seems it was the dragons fault

Advertisement