Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patricks Day Parade In Galway

Options
  • 17-03-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭

I wont make the parade today but I would be interested in hearing your views on it if you went to see it, having listened to Galway Bay news about who is taking part I would not be getting out of bed to see marching groups, school bands and one foreign band who come every year from Lorient.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

I just missed the parade myself (fekin hangover!) but town was absolutely mobbed all the way from Bridge Street to Prospect Hill... Really great buzz about...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Lorient* dancers are great craic, they were there again this year.
    Altogether an ok parade and no rain, even some sun.

*Galway's twin town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Great weather and crowd, but spent ages trying to find a car parking spot, we need more car parks badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Thought it was better than last year. My 4 year old son loved it, especially the Civil Defence and the Fire Brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Magnus wrote: »

*Galway's twin town.

One of them! Seattle's another 'sister city' - See the rock outside Townhouse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

twas a grand parade
    the kids loved it
    but for galway standards, we cud do allot better
    its missing a bit of magic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Parades for me should be all about colour, magic, noise and surprise. Seeing people walk along holding signs is a bit boring IMO, without costumes or anything. I appreciate the effort groups put in more than people just walking for their group, or businesses advertising their wares on the side of cars

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

It was good to see the Civil Defense get the biggest applause

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Magnus wrote: »

*Galway's twin town.

Was sad there wasn't a Fez Noz (Ceilí) this year .. generally try meeting up with a few of the Bretons whenever I'm passing through lorient :)

how was the blackbox does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

There were too many people just walking or playing instruments. There needed to be a bit more floats and costume things I think. Makes a parade more interesting! Was great that the rain stayed away and it wasn't too cold. Didn't have a problem with parking at all, parked in Jury's carpark, yea I had to pay €4 but I think it was worth it, was originally going to park on the road from salthill and walk in but in the end went to the carpark bcos I thought it was going to rain.

Highlight of the parade-the girls (actors it think/or else part of macnas, not sure) taking the piss out of Tommy Tiernan (we were standing near him watching the parade-not intentional!) Two girls in the group started making a big deal out of him being there-OMG Tommy etc and he started to shh them, as in oh crap whats going on, wanting to be anonymous. She then took out a camera and said can I take a pic, T said yes and she squirted him in the face (the camera was a water gun thingy). Then they had a loud convo about who was the better looking celebrity Tommy or 'John' (a guy they had been 'looking for' earlier. Was quite funny so fair play to them.
    Also it was v funny watching the ppl in the parade recognise TT, they would either do a double take and look confused, look over and smile or look embarrassed! For the most part tho he was left alone as he was with his kids.
    I really would not like to be well known, you wouldn't be able to go anywhere without being stared at!

Also-lowlight of the parade-Bellydancers! They really shouldn't have bellies, it doesn't make for enjoyable viewing IMO (Sorry!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Tell me about those Bellies !
    Even when they stopped dancing, the bellies just kept dancing !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

galwayrush wrote: »
    Great weather and crowd, but spent ages trying to find a car parking spot, we need more car parks badly.

There was tonnes of space in the Black Box at 12:15 anyway......
    I've seen a few arts week parades and they're miles ahead of what was there on the day.
    I also get a feeling there was an element of commercial/advertising in the parade, more than I've seen before.......
    That said, its good to see the local schools/bands getting a chance to show what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well I thought it was waaay too long and tedious. Granted I was up on Prospect Hill, so it had got a bit straggly by there, but it seemed like every 2nd kid in Galway was in it.

I also wondered about the motives (commercial or otherwise) of some of the folks in it - eg Discovery Church? ... hello... you folks don't believe in saints, and what's Star Wars got to do with Irish culture? Smarter Travel - kids on bikes etc, with two BIG vans, yeah, very enviro-friendly.

But maybe I'm just a grumpy old bag ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

JustMary wrote: »
    Well I thought it was waaay too long and tedious. Granted I was up on Prospect Hill, so it had got a bit straggly by there, but it seemed like every 2nd kid in Galway was in it.

I also wondered about the motives (commercial or otherwise) of some of the folks in it - eg Discovery Church? ... hello... you folks don't believe in saints, and what's Star Wars got to do with Irish culture? Smarter Travel - kids on bikes etc, with two BIG vans, yeah, very enviro-friendly.

But maybe I'm just a grumpy old bag ;)
    The theme was "over the moon" - tbh honest I didnt really get it, anyway, thats what the aul star wars characters were trying to put across (I know its daft)

I wasnt impressed overall but as I said its good to give the kids a stage.

Advertisement