Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deck shoes

• 17-03-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭

I want to wear deck shoes while avoiding the 16-year-old-guy-in-secondary-school look. I know they're in style in other countries but I don't think deck/boat shoes have such a conflicted reputation abroad.

Any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Screw whatever rep deck shoes have. They are super comfy, good quality, good for your feet, and made in Ireland(the dubarry ones). In their own way they look quite smart; much smarter than your average male shoe offering in fact IMHO. They're also brilliant on a boat; super grippy :). Anybody who mocks them doesn't realise how comfortable and practical they are!!

You can get good deals on the Dubarry ones in their factory shop in Ballinasloe; it can be a bit hit and miss there but sometimes they can have a great selection.

I have 2 pairs, one of which I've had for years. As I'm female I wouldn't wear them much outside of on the water activity but still they've been muchos abused and in and out of salt water on several occasions and they still look great :)

Life's too short to care what other people think or worry about being stereotyped just because of the shoes you wear; they are great shoes; just GO for it I say;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Youre not going to get away from the steroetype Im afraid, So as Madame Razz said, just wear it and ignore the comments.

If you want to try a different look maybe go avoid the abercrombie tshirts and shirts look. Go for dark jeans and a fitted blazer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Try going for a brighter colour- you're right, they're very in style at the mo. I saw an amazing pair in a shop in London the other week, if I'd had the money I'd have bought them!!!

GQ style guide on boat shoes

Also, I know the ones in that slide show are pricey and mostly american based, but the brighter colours are starting to trickle in to Ireland...

Advertisement