Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another what to buy thread - Primera 1.6?

• 17-03-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Ok, back story - friend of mine who is clueless about cars is on the cusp of buying a Panda for commute to the station/second car under the scrappage scheme. By the time delivery charges are added he's quoted about 7-and-a-half (he actually asked for metallic paing 'cos his father in law told him it would prevent rust :o - which broings the price up to over 8 grand)

He has three kids, lives in the sticks and a future job change MAY mean a longer commute down the road so he's beginning to think there are better options. Reliability is number one priority, decent running costs also.

One car has caught my eye is the 1.6 Primera. They're cheap as chips but does anyone know whatthe 1.6 petrol is like for reliability and are there any other major foibles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Father had one in 2003 from new. Never bought a Nissan after that. Was a complete and utter disaster of a car.

Had serious immobilizer problems from day dot that were never fixed. Basically it used to open fine but not start. Could be hours before it would. That was 11 times in the first 12 months back in the dealer. (Almera did the same thing at same time too btw).

Then he has the instrument cluster flicker every so often. The drivers seat collopsed (and he's not a heavy guy). Paint quality was rubbish - front was littered in tiny stone chips in no time. Rear door locks failed.

I also know someone that has had to get their gearbox rebuilt twice on one. Another known issue.

I'd put a deposit down on the Panda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

pburns wrote: »
    Ok, back story - friend of mine who is clueless about cars is on the cusp of buying a Panda for commute to the station/second car under the scrappage scheme. By the time delivery charges are added he's quoted about 7-and-a-half (he actually asked for metallic paing 'cos his father in law told him it would prevent rust :o - which broings the price up to over 8 grand)

He has three kids, lives in the sticks and a future job change MAY mean a longer commute down the road so he's beginning to think there are better options. Reliability is number one priority, decent running costs also.

One car has caught my eye is the 1.6 Primera. They're cheap as chips but does anyone know whatthe 1.6 petrol is like for reliability and are there any other major foibles?

Assuming you're talking about the 2002-2008 model here

Two things- the 1.6 is slow.

And they have IMO the worst gearbox I have ever experienced in any car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.6 litre in a car the size and weight of a Primera type car is a false economy as the engine has to work harder to push the heavy body and any passengers in it. The last generation Primera is also generally a poor car and if reliability is a must then that model doesn't cut it.

Presuming his budget is the price of a new Panda (between €7 and €8k) he should be able to pick up a 2006 1.6 litre Focus, plenty of these around, parts and servicing are cheap, 1.6 litre is peppy enough and they are generally as reliable as anything out there.

Here are a few examples:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201007196930860
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201008197047461

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Slowwwwww and a b'tard to turn with its massive turning circle. Apart from that its horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭__________

The old primeras (think they were 1995-2001) were among the best and most reliable cars ever built. 250,000 miles+ is/was not uncommon. I'd go for one of those instead. Dunno what nissan start doing wrong from 2002 on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Old Primera up to 2001 yes but the newer one is a certain no no.

I had a 2001 model and loved it. My brother has the newer model and the 1.6 eats fuel as it can not push the car due to its weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I'm quite shocked to hear about the latest primera being a bit of pig. Brother owns the older 2001 version & its been great for him & they're generally accepted as being a very good car with few faults.
    My first car was an old shape 2000 almera & it was bulletproof & again the general opinion would concur yet im not hearing great things about the newer 2000 onwards model.

Just an observation; Renault became partners with nissan in 1999. Just a coincidence that quality control takes a bit of a nose dive for Nissan from 2000 on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

As far as I know Renault designed the newer Primera and it is a European built car.

Advertisement