Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jesus: the most dominant figure in history?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Interesting question. I'd say Jesus as a concept would be up there alright. Given how things have gone on a worldwide scale IE European culture* being the dominant one, then drivers of that culture would be the dominant ones too.

My list in no particular order would be Aristotle(huge European influence), Jesus/Paul(for obvious reasons), Gutenburg, Confucious, Galileo.

Closer to home(and date :)) and in the European context anyway I would put Patrick's religious mission and his early followers. Without them and their preservation of earlier Roman texts of all kinds, not just religious(which raised eyebrows in what existed of the roman church), we would likely have lost much of those classical texts. The greek stuff was still around in the eastern empire, where Islam got their hands on them later and expanded on that knowledge, but the latin stuff was very thin on the ground and was reintroduced by these Irish guys.

As well as being accused of eurocentricity we can fall into the trap of historicentricity( :o:)) There are names of great influence we can never know. EG The first to make art. The first person to attempt to track the heavens and codify that, even in a religious context. Look at somewhere like the passage tomb at Knowth(beside newgrange). That one site alone contains more than 1/3rd of the neolithic art in all of europe(and the other sites contain well over half). Including carvings that may well be the first sundial. 1000's of years before mesopotamia. Its likely that came from the hand of one person or a small group of people who we'll never know. Individual genius or influence didn't start with the Greeks or Egyptians writing this stuff down.

As for the reality of Jesus' existence historically, the jury is out as far as direct independent sources go. That said there were enough people alive in the 1st century AD who had direct contact with the historical Jesus and indeed many of those died in his name. There are no records that Im aware of where opponents, of which there were many(among his own Jewish religious group), that claimed he didnt exist. Which would have silenced the new faith pretty quickly. So personally I would believe he was a real person. What he believed or what he said is totally up for grabs or an article of faith. From the texts one could extrapolate he was of a type of apocalyptic preacher common at the time(many Jewish sects about at the time.Essenes etc) . Clearly he stood out. And stood out even more with Paul on board. So I would put Paul and him in joint 1st.

Now quite a number of historians who will express doubt about Jesus' existence, will quite happily accept Mohammad as an historical figure. Seems sensible? Not quite. The first mention of Mohammad in any document is 200 years after his reported death. The earliest Islamic coins dont mention him and the earliest datable extant Islamic building(dome of the rock) and texts dont mention him either. Which seems a bit strange given his central importance to the faith. No mention of him** in the Greek/Byzantine texts of the time either. Again strange as he was supposed to have been an important military leader as well as a prophet who according to the Mulsim texts engaged with the Greeks. Objectively the jury is very much out on the accuracy of the historical Mohammad. Even his name The Praised one seems a bit of an add on.

*while many many cultures are part of the the melting pot of today, the overwhelming one is a European slant. Various nations in Asia have had an incredible impact on world history, science, philosophy and culture, but if a martian landed tomorrow, they'd figure the outward signs of culture and technology would be european. The Americas and the Antipodes are "european", Asia's culture is heavily influenced by European culture, as is Africas.

** or Mecca which was supposed to be according to Muslim sources a major trading port. Its nowhere near the main trade routes, nor do any trade maps of the time, of which there are many, mention it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Kooli wrote: »
    What about the fact that if you asked 50 people on the street in 100 different cities around the world, very few of them could tell you Ghengis Khan is or what he did?

Doesn't that just show his dominance though? Most people know little enough about him, but if it wasn't for him, Europe (hell, the whole world) would probably be muslim.
    Whereas JC is a figure who most people know about. That must count for something, mustn't it?

Not really, I'd say as much/more people know who Ronald McDonald is than know who Jesus is.
    Most of us who post in A&A regularly are certainly influenced by him!!

Not really. In all honesty, how much of what all christians say to represent today (and therefore influences us in A&A) can actually be attributed to Jesus? There are little enough contempory documents quoting Jesus' teachings, and the ones the christians hold to are regularly ignored when they say something christians dont like, just look at these:
    Matthew 20 wrote:
    16Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
    17"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."
    18"Which ones?" the man inquired.
    Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,'[d] and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'[e]"
    20"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"
    21Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
    22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
    23Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
    25When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"
    26Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
    27Peter answered him, "We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?"
    28Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. 30But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.
    Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished
    Two direct biblical quotes form Jesus, one saying its almost impossible for a rich man to get into heaven, he needs to give away all his wealth, that if he leaves his family he will recieve greater reward in heaven, and another explicitely telling that all of the jewish laws still apply until the end of the earth. Despite this, most christians will scoff at the idea of giving up wealth to give into heaven and they will argue the most backward semantics to claim that the jewish laws dont apply.
    In truth I dont believe Jesus influences us here in the A&A forum, as I dont believe he actually influences christians all that much in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Doesn't that just show his dominance though? Most people know little enough about him, but if it wasn't for him, Europe (hell, the whole world) would probably be muslim.

Not really, I'd say as much/more people know who Ronald McDonald is than know who Jesus is.

Not really. In all honesty, how much of what all christians say to represent today (and therefore influences us in A&A) can actually be attributed to Jesus? There are little enough contempory documents quoting Jesus' teachings, and the ones the christians hold to are regularly ignored when they say something christians dont like, just look at these:

QUOTE]

I don't know how to multiquote, sorry! But I'll respond to each:

1) I don't even know how to respond if you think that the fact that most people don't know anything about a historical figure is actually testament to how dominant a figure they are in history? I suppose we're all using a different definition of dominance...

2) Yes lots of people know who Ronald McDonald is. Lots of people in the world also know who Tiger Woods and the Queen are. But seeing as none of these are historical figures, I don't see the relevance to the question being asked?

3) It doesn't really matter if it isn't a direct quote from the man himself - if billions around the world belong to a religion that originates from this man (however much it has changed over the centuries) and billions of others have an opinion on this man (even if that he didn't exist or did but isn't God), then that to me makes him a fairly significant character in the history of the world!

1) I don't even know how to respond if you think that the fact that most people don't know anything about a historical figure is actually testament to how dominant a figure they are in history? I suppose we're all using a different definition of dominance...

Unless you are defining dominant as well known, I dont see the problem. Despite people knowing little about Ghengis Khan, he is directly responsible for the world as we know it.
    2) Yes lots of people know who Ronald McDonald is. Lots of people in the world also know who Tiger Woods and the Queen are. But seeing as none of these are historical figures, I don't see the relevance to the question being asked?

Santa Claus then, what difference does it make? How many people know of a character isn't really an indication of that characters dominance, just how well known they are.
    3) It doesn't really matter if it isn't a direct quote from the man himself - if billions around the world belong to a religion that originates from this man (however much it has changed over the centuries) and billions of others have an opinion on this man (even if that he didn't exist or did but isn't God), then that to me makes him a fairly significant character in the history of the world!

You miss my point. People pick and choose different things to believe about Jesus, to the point where you end up with as many different Jesus's as there are versions of christianity (more so, if you include those who view Jesus as just an enlightened philospopher). If you cant reliably refer the origin of any quote to Jesus (as shown by the lack of contemporary writings about Jesus himself) then how can you say Jesus inspired them all (and all the acts inspired by those quotes)? Never mind there are so many differing views of Jesus and what he said that you cant take them as being all the same Jesus (which is what you are doing) or even if any of them are the real Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Wibbs wrote: »
    Interesting question...........As well as being accused of eurocentricity we can fall into the trap of historicentricity( :o:)) There are names of great influence we can never know...............

Great post Wibbs, the whole thing but particuarly this point here. We don't know the name of the individual Sumerians, Chinese or Greeks that developed writting or organised written language for example but if we did could there be any doubt in anyones mind that thier impact, thier contribution to mankind, and the trickle down effect antiskep was talking about drawfs anything that came since.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you cant reliably refer the origin of any quote to Jesus (as shown by the lack of contemporary writings about Jesus himself) then how can you say Jesus inspired them all (and all the acts inspired by those quotes)?
    Well one could show that people who had known him in life were inspired enough to continue the stories, often under duress and many died too. There are contemporaneous records of them in the very early church. Records of issues between the Jewish followers and Pauls angle for example. So one could argue the influence of the Jesus of these records was from very early on. Now it could be a complete fabrication from start to finish on the part of say Paul, but its much more likely that someone called Jesus, a member of a Jewish sect who brought something new, or new enough to cause a following to grow. Beyond that yes its conjecture,but I personally think saying he never existed as a person is a stretch.

I would say similar for Mohammad, though in my previous post I pointed out the blanks in historical transmission of that story. I would believe that someone, a local religious prophet and military leader who united various Arab tribes existed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

strobe wrote: »
    Great post Wibbs, the whole thing but particuarly this point here. We don't know the name of the individual Sumerians, Chinese or Greeks that developed writting or organised written language for example but if we did could there be any doubt in anyones mind that thier impact, thier contribution to mankind, and the trickle down effect antiskep was talking about drawfs anything that came since.
    In a big way. We do know one very early guy. Imhotep http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imhotep Fascinating character. As wiki puts it "He is considered to be the first engineer, architect and physician in history known by name". He was revered by the Greeks many centuries later.

Given that major leaps forward are often instigated by a single person of genius, I'm quite sure there were stone aged Newtons and Darwins. The earliest civilisation we know of so far appears to have been in turkey Gobekli Tepe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe some have even suggested that a race memory of this gave birth to the idea of the garden of eden. I would be shocked if it wasnt one man who kicked this off(or woman as many hunter gatherers have women shamans). This idea of carving the living rock as a monumental religious practice and centralising that is a huge step. That leap forward laid the foundation for everything we see around us. So whoever that man or woman was, king, chief or shaman, would be up at the top of the influence table.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well one could show that people who had known him in life were inspired enough to continue the stories, often under duress and many died too. There are contemporaneous records of them in the very early church. Records of issues between the Jewish followers and Pauls angle for example. So one could argue the influence of the Jesus of these records was from very early on. Now it could be a complete fabrication from start to finish on the part of say Paul, but its much more likely that someone called Jesus, a member of a Jewish sect who brought something new, or new enough to cause a following to grow. Beyond that yes its conjecture,but I personally think saying he never existed as a person is a stretch.

Well, I'm not trying to go down the "Jesus doesn't exist route" as even if he didn't, the idea of a historical Jesus can still have influence (much like the idea of Santa Claus has an inlfuence on kids who believe in him). My point was more the variation in the idea of Jesus as held by many people today. Many people believe vastly different (contradictory) things about Jesus and what he said and what he did, and most of what people believe generally agrees with ideas they already have, so I dont see a single idea of Jesus having a very dominant effect on many people.
    He is a very useful tool for the various churches to put forward their own ideals, but given the massive variation in these ideals, its hard to say which are actually Jesus' own. Given that its impossible to say if Jesus' own ideals have dominated even the churches claiming to represent him (never mind the followers, who will be more varied in their beliefs about him), I would suggest that Ghengis Khan is a more dominant figure, as he is directly reponsible for united the monguls, and started the conquest of China, the Middle East and Eastern Europe (which his son continued).
    Basically, a lot more influence and dominance can be accurately attributed to Ghengis Khan than Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

strobe wrote: »

There's a not-so-insignificant difference between a trickle-down from, say, Paul - which points people today back to the originator, Christ, and a trickle down of an 'invention' which is used today and to whose inventors there is nor need be, reference.

Christ influences the individual directly (the conduit of his influence being the result of trickle down). Therefore we can speak of his influence, his being dominant. The originators of writing influence no one today. They are forgotten.

Have our Christian residents dodged the Abraham or Eve suggestion?

No. Msg 77 and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Jesus may be one of the most famous men in history, but as far as I am concerned he is well down the list when it comes to his impact on shaping the modern world. To my mind the most important figures in shaping the modern world both in terms of politics and thinking come mostly from Greece, the importance of Hellenic influences in Europe and further afield simply cannot be downplayed. To give just one example, the actions of Miltiades at the battle of Marathon can be argued to be one of the most defining roles in allowing democracy to survive, had the Athenians been defeated then Persia would have likely conquered all of Greece, democracy would have been a stillborn footnote in human history, there would have been no great Greek empire of Alexander, there would have been no Roman Empire and there would be no East-West divide today.

In my mind it is ridiculous to compare the tremendous impact Militades had on shaping the world over the course of a few days with the changes brought about from the three years (although more likely just one year, we don't even know how long Jesus' ministry was) that Jesus spent preaching.

Without the action of men like Militades then western civilization just would not exist, without Jesus it would be different in many ways but ultimately I am pretty sure it would be recognisable to us.

I'm sorry to break the news but Jesus just did not have near as big an impact on humanity as many of his supporters would like us to think. Jesus was the David Beckham of historical figures, fairly impressive at what but nothing astounding, however his entourage were experts at manipulating his image to give him a far bigger reputation than he really deserves.

Unless you are defining dominant as well known, I dont see the problem. Despite people knowing little about Ghengis Khan, he is directly responsible for the world as we know it.

This is a recurring argument. Someone pushes a button many years ago and sets the world off in a particular direction. In the case of Ghengis Khan, that button was bigger than average. It is reasonable to educated;y guess that if this button hadn't been pushed then certain other events wouldn't have happened - that argument could be left for another day.

My problem with this line of reasoning however is that is tries to attach everything that occurs downstream to that button pusher - when this can't be assumed to be so. More likely the button pusher pushes to an extent and subsequent events are shaped by that push and the motivations of others for other reasons.

The difference between Ghengis Kahn and Christ is that Christ has been pushing buttons (by direct influence on people) since the time he walked the earth and many of those pushes are of gargantuan import (such as Christianity/Christendom/the spread of education/charitable institutions/abolition of slavery. He continues to push today and there is no sign of that influence abating.

Jesus may be one of the most famous men in history, but as far as I am concerned he is well down the list when it comes to his impact on shaping the modern world. To my mind the most important figures in shaping the modern world both in terms of politics and thinking come mostly from Greece, the importance of Hellenic influences in Europe and further afield simply cannot be downplayed. To give just one example, the actions of Miltiades at the battle of Marathon can be argued to be one of the most defining roles in allowing democracy to survive, had the Athenians been defeated then Persia would have likely conquered all of Greece, democracy would have been a stillborn footnote in human history, there would have been no great Greek empire of Alexander, there would have been no Roman Empire and there would be no East-West divide today.

In my mind it is ridiculous to compare the tremendous impact Militades had on shaping the world over the course of a few days with the changes brought about from the three years (although more likely just one year, we don't even know how long Jesus' ministry was) that Jesus spent preaching.

Without the action of men like Militades then western civilization just would not exist, without Jesus it would be different in many ways but ultimately I am pretty sure it would be recognisable to us.

I'm sorry to break the news but Jesus just did not have near as big an impact on humanity as many of his supporters would like us to think. Jesus was the David Beckham of historical figures, fairly impressive at what but nothing astounding, however his entourage were experts at manipulating his image to give him a far bigger reputation than he really deserves.

The above post is for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

The difference between Ghengis Kahn and Christ is that Christ has been pushing buttons (by direct influence on people) since the time he walked the earth and many of those pushes are of gargantuan import (such as Christianity/Christendom/the spread of education/charitable institutions/abolition of slavery. He continues to push today and there is no sign of that influence abating.

Well, that just comes back to whether you believe he is still pushing buttons today or if it is all the result of the initial button press...personally I think
    My problem with this line of reasoning however is that is tries to attach everything that occurs downstream to that button pusher - when this can't be assumed to be so. More likely the button pusher pushes to an extent and subsequent events are shaped by that push and the motivations of others for other reasons.

would be a perfect argument against your own claims about JC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

How are you defining direct influence? You mean supernatural, God is your conscience sort of thing

Obvious God is the answer is we assume he exists (since God the Father obviously influenced more people that Jesus the man) if we accept supernatural Christian explanations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What about the fact that if you asked 50 people on the street in 100 different cities around the world, very few of them could tell you Ghengis Khan is or what he did?
    Well, that wasn't the question, was it? Public knowledge does not equate to historical dominance. I bet most Christians don't know the pivotal role that Constantine, the Roman Emperor, played in the expansion of their religion.

As for the question of Genghis Khan's date of birth, the consensus date is 1162 in our calendar. Which calendar were the Mongols using 850 years ago? It certainly wasn't the Christian calendar, and they were a nomadic tribe before Khan. The closest we get to a "local" date is to use the Chinese dynastic system, and at that time Mongolia was on the outskirts of Northern China under the Jīn Dynasty (1115-1234). So we can say that Genghis Khan was probably born in the 47th year of the Jīn Dynasty.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

This is a recurring argument. Someone pushes a button many years ago and sets the world off in a particular direction. In the case of Ghengis Khan, that button was bigger than average. It is reasonable to educated;y guess that if this button hadn't been pushed then certain other events wouldn't have happened - that argument could be left for another day.

Please tell me that I've misunderstood you and you haven't come into the atheism forum to argue that Jesus is the most dominant figure because he still directly influences people supernaturally......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

The difference between Ghengis Kahn and Christ is that Christ has been pushing buttons (by direct influence on people) since the time he walked the earth and many of those pushes are of gargantuan import (such as Christianity/Christendom/the spread of education/charitable institutions/abolition of slavery.

- such as Christianity/Christendom. Yes JC had a big hand in those of course.

- the spread of education. Nonsense. Christianity and religion as a whole are inherently anti-education. The fact Christian people/organisations set up schools is as relevant as the fact that the Hippocratic oath originally was pledged to Greek gods. It wasn't invented for that purpose nor has it being retained for that purpose.

- abolition of slavery. JC wasn't against slavery and countless numbers of your fellow christians have happily used the bible as evidence to support said institution. I had this conversation before with PDN when he was thoroughly beaten. Christianity had nothing to do with the abolition of slavery. The Japanese did it hundreds of years before anyone else and not a Christian in sight.
    He continues to push today and there is no sign of that influence abating.

Your giving proof of historical dominance in the form of the supernatural ? Nice. What a clever guy you are. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

There's a not-so-insignificant difference between a trickle-down from, say, Paul - which points people today back to the originator, Christ, and a trickle down of an 'invention' which is used today and to whose inventors there is nor need be, reference.

Christ influences the individual directly (the conduit of his influence being the result of trickle down). Therefore we can speak of his influence, his being dominant. The originators of writing influence no one today. They are forgotten.

Logic fail.

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Please tell me that I've misunderstood you and you haven't come into the atheism forum to argue that Jesus is the most dominant figure because he still directly influences people supernaturally......

I haven't come into the atheist forum to argue that Jesus is the most dominant figure because he still directly influences people supernaturally.

I was comparing:

- examples suggested in this thread which involve indirect influence. For example: someone who 'invents' written language many years ago is said to said to be exerting influence today simply because I'm writing this post.

with..

- Christs direct influence: where the person today is directly motivated by their experience of Christ today. Say the influence exerted by his reported words.

I'm suggesting the button pushed 2000 years ago has, and continues to have direct influence, the sum total of which renders Christ the dominant figure in history.

I haven't come into the atheist forum to argue that Jesus is the most dominant figure because he still directly influences people supernaturally.
    oh good
    I was comparing:

- examples suggested in this thread which involve indirect influence. For example: someone who 'invents' written language many years ago is said to said to be exerting influence today simply because I'm writing this post.

with..

- Christs direct influence: where the person today is directly motivated by their experience of Christ today. Say the influence exerted by his reported words.

I'm suggesting the button pushed 2000 years ago has, and continues to have direct influence the sum total of which renders Christ the dominant figure in history.

The dominant figure is totally subjective, there are a million different criteria by which it could be judged. You can think Jesus was if you want but a billion muslims, 700 million (I think) Hindus and 14 million Jews would likely disagree

The dominant figure is totally subjective, there are a million different criteria by which it could be judged. You can think Jesus was if you want but a billion muslims, 700 million (I think) Hindus and 14 million Jews would likely disagree

Given that Christianity outweighs in terms of numbers then this is not a criterion to be citing :)

Given that Christianity outweighs in terms of numbers then this is not a criterion to be citing :)

If facts were determined to be true or false based on the number of people who believe in them what you say might be true. Luckily they're not

monosharp wrote: »
    - the spread of education. Nonsense. Christianity and religion as a whole are inherently anti-education. The fact Christian people/organisations set up schools is as relevant as the fact that the Hippocratic oath originally was pledged to Greek gods. It wasn't invented for that purpose nor has it being retained for that purpose.
    I would argue thats a very simplistic view. Christianity and defo religions as a whole were in favour of education. If nothing else education in the faith. From our viewpoint today where broad education and understanding of the universe is (and should be) separate from faith, that is not how many cultures would have viewed it. Indeed the majority of cultures wouldnt. One was part of the other. The natural world was either explained through the prism of faith or made to fit it.

Where I would agree with you is with Christianity and it's world viewpoint. It held back what we would see as science for a very long time. Most centers of learning were isolated places where contemplation was the order of the day and the natural world was viewed as a metaphor for god's presence, not a thing to be explored for its own sake. The only text outside that allowed was Aristotles. Though like I mentioned earlier this countries early christian record was pretty good even on that score. Which is amazing, given we were an entirely oral culture that within a lifetime became one of the most literate in Europe. And literate in non religious texts too.
    - abolition of slavery. JC wasn't against slavery and countless numbers of your fellow christians have happily used the bible as evidence to support said institution. I had this conversation before with PDN when he was thoroughly beaten. Christianity had nothing to do with the abolition of slavery. The Japanese did it hundreds of years before anyone else and not a Christian in sight.
    Well it depends on what you would describe as slavery. Certainly if you're bringing in the Japanese model. Slavery as a subject in of itself is worth a thread in humanities.

I would agree that Jesus said little about slaves and even less against the practice. Ditto for his early followers. And if Christians are to believed as far as his divinity he defo should have. But he did not. He did preach all men were equal etc, but didnt get into details, especially regarding slaves. A bit of an oversight when slavery was all around him. One could argue that was the time he lived in and didnt see it as an issue for that time, but that is an excuse. Much like Muslims who excuse Mohammad for marrying and taking to bed a child bride. IMHO If a prophet was a true one, the message he or she carries would be applicable for all times.

Some of his followers did make inroads though. Again(and Im sounding like a major patriot here. Must be the time of year :D) Ireland stood out. The pre Christian Irish were well known slavers. Big into raiding parties. One of which brought a Romano Celt to these islands in bonds. Good oul Patricius. When he came back, within a generation, slavery with his natural bias against the practice*, pretty much died out in this country. Long before anywhere in Europe and indeed the world that we know of. a 1000+ years before the Japanese. That is oft forgotten and its something we should be proud of.

Which for me goes to show that good men will be good men and while they may sometimes need the backup of faith to move others, dont need the backup of faith to be good men. When Christians refer to great people who fought against slavery as other Christians, I look to the millions of their faith that didnt and instead look at those who regardless of faith did.

*Indeed he excommunicated a slaver named coroticus for the very crime of slavery. A notion that would have raised eyebrows in other Christian territories.

I was comparing:

with..

I'm suggesting the button pushed 2000 years ago has, and continues to have direct influence, the sum total of which renders Christ the dominant figure in history.

Again you are simply defining and redefining the criteria in order to get Jesus to the top of the pile. You are also assuming that every Christian who has ever read or heard that Jesus said something then bases their lives around that, which is a bit of a stretch.

This all becomes a some what pointless exercise. Why are you asking us what we think when you have already defined the answer in a way that only Jesus can come out on top?

It is like saying who is the most dominant figure in history who was a 1st century Jew claiming to be a Messiah who was born in Bethlehem ... what do you guys think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Wicknight wrote: »
    It is like saying who is the most dominant figure in history who was a 1st century Jew claiming to be a Messiah who was born in Bethlehem ... what do you guys think?

Gervais_Ricky3.jpg

David: If you had to name a role model, someone who's influenced you... Who would it be?
    Dawn: What, like, a historical person?
    David: No. Someone who's sort of... general life. Just someone who's really influenced you.
    Dawn: There's my mum. She's strong, calm in the face of adversity. Oh, God. I remember when she had a hysterectomy --
    David: Iiiiif it wasn't your mother. It doesn't even have to be a woman. It could be a...
    Dawn: Man? Okay. Well. I suppose if it was a man, it'd be my father.
    David: Not your father. Let's take your parents as read. I'm thinking of someone in the sort of work-related arena...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

But Skep, I agreed with you at the start. Now you are moving the goal posts. You say Christ influences the individual directly? That's a new definition man. Prove Jesus influenced anyone directly or even indirectly......If you can't, if your whole "impact" thing is just that people have heard of him. Well that opens up a whole new crew of people.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

Thats a stupid thing to say.

There is about 1.7 to 2 billion christians on the planet in approx 40,000 sects and cults.

About 1 to 2 billion are atheist.

There are another 3 billion with other beliefs, so you do not outweigh.

You are at best 25% to 30% of planet population.

Such a waste of a beautiful planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Plowman wrote: »

And whats your point ?

Christianity 2,100,000,000 – 2,200,000,000
    Islam 1,300,000,000 – 1,600,000,000
    Irreligious/Agnostic/Atheism 1,000,000,000 - 1,600,000,000
    Hinduism 950,000,000 – 1,200,000,000
    Buddhism 400,000,000 – 500,000,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

I thought it was very clear, the total added up to approx 7 billion

2 billion christians

AND

2 billion atheist APPROX

i have no idea how many christians are atheists, but certainly a lot of people who consider themselves christian are most definitely not.

a large percentage of census catholics are not RC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think it's safe to say that the 1.5 billion Muslims in that number would vote for Muhammad, not the more minor prophet Jesus. I'm not sure that there's proportional representation in such things, so that fact that Muslims give some credence to Jesus probably doesn't count.

I thought it was very clear, the total added up to approx 7 billion

2 billion christians

AND

2 billion atheist APPROX

i have no idea how many christians are atheists, but certainly a lot of people who consider themselves christian are most definitely not.

a large percentage of census catholics are not RC

2 billion atheist means 2 billion without belief in a supernatural entity. Their common link - a lack of belief in god/s isn't the same as a common belief in / influence by anyone or thing and so there's little point in citing atheists as detracting from Christ's dominance in this particular numbers game. Remember it's the influence of a person we're talking of - not whether there are more atheists (who have been influenced so by a diverse range of people) than Christians.

Not that I think absolute numbers of adherants is the biggest deal (you've nominal people of faith afterall) - but seeing as it has been brought up...

Remember it's the influence of a person we're talking of

Again how are you defining influence?

If 2 billion people did something nice for someone because Jesus inspired them but 2 billion and one people took up football because Pele inspired them too, is Pele the most dominant figure in history?

Again this smacks of The Office quote above.

If facts were determined to be true or false based on the number of people who believe in them what you say might be true. Luckily they're not

One fact that is determined true or false based on number of people who believe is the weight of influence exerted by the source. Which is the topic under discussion.

For some reason you quoted figures of numbers of believers of different faiths as if it were making a point relevant to the OP. What was the relevance of the point? I can't see it.

One fact that is determined true or false based on number of people who believe is the weight of influence exerted by the source. Which is the topic under discussion.

For some reason you quoted figures of numbers of believers of different faiths as if it were making a point relevant to the OP. What was the relevance of the point? I can't see it.
    The point is that the title of "most" dominant figure in history can have a million different definitions. As people have said you keep defining and redefining the criteria to make Jesus come out on top like David Brent trying to get someone to say he inspired him but the criteria you use aren't the only ones that can be used. I'd say we're only a few pages from you saying that Jesus was the most dominant person who was Jewish, lived 2000 years ago, had a book written about him and has a religion named after him and I would have to say that he is the most dominant person at that point because your criteria would leave me with no other options

Advertisement