Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick is a good place to live as a musician?

Options
  • 17-03-2010 12:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43

Hi, I'm from Spain and want to start my new life in this city. Can you give me ideas and information about living there as a musician?
    Thank you very much everyone, please be realistic.

In what other city will find more opportunities to develop my profession?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Infractions for CQD and underwaterknife.

If you can't post something useful here, then please don't post.
    Next smart comment gets a 2 week ban to go with their infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread cleaned up.

underwaterknife - you won't last too long here unless you know the rules. From the charter:

- Making smart replies to threads started by people seeking information will result in a banning, If you cannot assist or make a suggestion, then don't reply.
    - Questioning moderator decisions in thread will be deleted and the user will be banned as such action takes a thread off topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Swing4

Mr E wrote: »
    Infractions for CQD and underwaterknife.

If you can't post something useful here, then please don't post.
    Next smart comment gets a 2 week ban to go with their infraction.

Don´t worry 4 me.
    I hope someone comment to me, someone mature, I hope.

Good S.Patrick Days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I would probably suggest Galway for a musician TBH. If you're into busking etc it would probably be more attractive. There isn't a huge amount of street music in Limerick compared to Galway or Dublin.

That said there are excellent opportunities for music in UL if you want to pursue it more academically.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The live music scene in Limerick is quite strong. My brother is in a band and they play on a regular basis. They have played in Waterford, Cork and Galway. All these cities are within easy reach of Limerick.

Best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement

Apologies..(anyone appreciate the funny side no?)..but seriously...yeah there's a pretty good music scene in Limerick..a lot of young bands..lots of gigs in bakers and the wicked chicken..bigger gigs in dolans and the trinity rooms..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Cork or Galway would have a strong music scene than Limerick. Far more venues, far more by way of busking going on, and generally a lot more musicians living in both of those cities.

Limerick does have some really good musicians, but ironically enough they seem to play in Cork and Galway more often than they play in Limerick.

Depends on what you want. If you are looking for a location that puts you within easy reach of those cities for gigging, then Limerick is an ideal location, but if you want to live somewhere that you can meet a lot of other musicians and become part of a scene or get influenced by different styles, then Cork, followed by Galway would be my tuppence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

op as the third largest city in the country there is not much competition compared to other cities around the country so this could be a good oppertunity for u?

as a friend of someone who is in a band theres a huge gap in the market to musicians and there are plenty of venues from a couple hundred to tens of thousands..depending on your success!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Kess73 wrote: »
    Cork or Galway would have a strong music scene than Limerick. Far more venues, far more by way of busking going on, and generally a lot more musicians living in both of those cities.

Limerick does have some really good musicians, but ironically enough they seem to play in Cork and Galway more often than they play in Limerick.

Depends on what you want. If you are looking for a location that puts you within easy reach of those cities for gigging, then Limerick is an ideal location, but if you want to live somewhere that you can meet a lot of other musicians and become part of a scene or get influenced by different styles, then Cork, followed by Galway would be my tuppence worth.

I'd agree with Kess on Cork followed by Galway as the best choices. But if Limerick becomes your first choice than you won't regret it. I've met many people recently who have moved to Ireland and most were musicians, the one thing in common they have all told me is that they can't believe the amount of people who play music in Ireland compared to where they originally came from. Wherever you go in this country you will always find a healthy mix of music, of course you're going to find more of it in the cities and larger towns.

5uspect wrote: »
    I would probably suggest Galway for a musician TBH. If you're into busking...
    The live music scene in Limerick is quite strong...

Best of luck with it :)
    Apologies..(anyone appreciate the funny side no?)..but seriously...
    Cork or Galway would have a strong music scene than Limerick...
    dave 27 wrote: »
    op as the third largest city in the country there is not much competition... ;)
    I'd agree with Kess on Cork followed by Galway as the best choices. But if Limerick becomes your first choice than you won't...

Ok, pardon my lack of understanding of English. I do not understand some things, that is, seems a good place because there are not many musicians like in other cities like Dublin, Cork, Galway, and even my dear Waterford, I love fly fishing, ha, ha.

Well maybe you should know about me as a professional musician for a better understanding.
    And again apologies for my translation, I try to explain me.

I am 39 years of age and musical training particularly in blues, funk and jazz, not looking for a band of young teenagers to drink beer while playing live in pubs, thats the stage I've lived . I understand in Eire is played much Rock & Roll, pop and other styles, bands like Cold Play, Thin Lizzy, The Killers, U2 and this styles, to encourage to people pubs with live versions. I did it here where I play in the past with a man from Scotland but there are not many pubs with live music.

Well, my wish is to find a blues or jazz band, but if I do not find this style of music in Limerick and could it covers find work playing is not bad to begin with, I must be modest. Starting a new life is always difficult.
    Then, finally, answer me if yes or no if hes them possible.

Question. In Limerick you can work and live decently with music playback, even in a covers band? I´m a good drummer, I have good tecnics and good musical compresion.

I thought in Dublin but it sure is overloaded with musicians.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Swing4 wrote: »
    Ok, pardon my lack of understanding of English. I do not understand some things, that is, seems a good place because there are not many musicians like in other cities like Dublin, Cork, Galway, and even my dear Waterford, I love fly fishing, ha, ha.

Well maybe you should know about me as a professional musician for a better understanding.
    And again apologies for my translation, I try to explain me.

I am 39 years of age and musical training particularly in blues, funk and jazz, not looking for a band of young teenagers to drink beer while playing live in pubs, that the stage I've lived . I understand in Eire is played much Rock & Roll, pop and other styles, bands like Cold Play, Thin Lizzy, The Killers, U2 and this styles, to encourage to people pubs with live versions. I did it here where I play in the past with a man from Scotland but there are not many pubs with live music.

Well, my wish is to find a blues or jazz band, but if I do not find this style of music in Limerick and could it covers find work playing is not bad to begin with, I must be modest. Starting a new life is always difficult.
    Then, finally, answer me if yes or no if hes them possible.

Question. In Limerick you can work and live decently with music playback, even in a covers band? I´m a good drummer, I have good tecnics and good musical compresion.

I thought in Dublin but it sure is overloaded with musicians.

Regards

If Jazz and/or blues is what you wish to do, then Cork is the city for you. All year round there are jazz and blues bands playing in clubs and bars, and Ireland's biggest jazz festival is held there every year also. This year the jazz festival is on from the 22nd to the 25th of October.

http://www.guinnessjazzfestival.com/

To my knowledge Limerick only has one jazz club, and that is in Dolans where the Limerick Jazz society play twice to thrice a month. To give you an idea of how scarce jazz is in Limerick. For the months of March and April, there are only four jazz gigs being held, and all in Dolans pub.

When I lived in Cork you could go out each week and find a jazz band playing in a number of venues.

Compared to Waterford though, Limerick has a much larger music scene and has much better trout rivers too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Cork sounds like a better option alright. great craic down there too.

If Jazz and/or blues is what you wish to do, then Cork is the city for you. All year round there are jazz and blues bands playing in clubs and bars, and Ireland's biggest jazz festival is held there every year also. This year the jazz festival is on from the 22nd to the 25th of October.

http://www.guinnessjazzfestival.com/

To my knowledge Limerick only has one jazz club, and that is in Dolans where the Limerick Jazz society play twice to thrice a month. To give you an idea of how scarce jazz is in Limerick. For the months of March and April, there are only four jazz gigs being held, and all in Dolans pub.

When I lived in Cork you could go out each week and find a jazz band playing in a number of venues.

Compared to Waterford though, Limerick has a much larger music scene and has much better trout rivers too :)
    Cork sounds like a better option alright. great craic down there too.

Wouu, be quick. I´m very gratefull for this.

So to first I go to Limerick, I hope to find some cover band work or giving drum lessons.

And the rivers are fordable in this county? I think the shannon is a big river, ha ha ha.

Don´t worry I understand, i need seek a good river part for fordable, no in a boat please, I pain in my ass for playing drumming :D

And the clima in this area is very rain? I think for the atlantic influence. Looking at Galway it´s be more. No? Well I walking with my vader all time ha ha.

Thanks so much to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

there is a jazz workshop in limerick institute of technology (L.I.T.) i'm not sure which night they practice but if you go there you'll meet some professional jazz & amateur jazz musicians & they will surely help you out
    you could also contact marcus at steamboat quay music shop, he'll point you in the right direction

tico1300 wrote: »
    there is a jazz workshop in limerick institute of technology (L.I.T.) i'm not sure which night they practice but if you go there you'll meet some professional jazz & amateur jazz musicians & they will surely help you out
    you could also contact marcus at steamboat quay music shop, he'll point you in the right direction

That is a big help friend, a great greeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

There is the speakeasy jazz club run in shannon boat club in the city centre who I'm sure would love to talk to you.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=1657498092&ref=ts
    from there, I'm sure you could make plenty of contacts :)

zuroph wrote: »
    There is the speakeasy jazz club run in shannon boat club in the city centre who I'm sure would love to talk to you.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=1657498092&ref=ts
    from there, I'm sure you could make plenty of contacts :)

Jazz in a boat?? ha ha, it´s nice for swing with the movement of the waves, It´s jokey :D
    I get to visit to them any day, a big thanks at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Swing4 wrote: »
    Jazz in a boat?? ha ha, it´s nice for swing with the movement of the waves, It´s jokey :D
    I get to visit to them any day, a big thanks at all.

The boatclub is on an island in the river, it's not on a boat, but that would be a cool idea!

Ok, thks, I underst... so

I think so, the River Shannon is so great in that city might so consider making short cruises for lovers or pensioners or to everybody, I´ll speak with the captain, ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tomcdrums

how good are you and what do you play

• Advertisement
Advertisement