Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has the runs!!!!

Options
  • 17-03-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

For the past 3days my dog has had the runs hes 8months old, samoyed. I had changed his food about a month ago and slowly changed him over to another type of dry food. I had him on royal canin and changed him to red mills very slowly just in case ye think I just gave it to him straight away.

he was doing fine on it no runs and I finally had him fully on the new food and he was grand for about2 weeks and then he just got the runs. What am I suppose to do should I bring him to the vet? Hes not acting differently still full of life and mental,lol!! Should I put him on chicken and rice? If I should do that what way do I cook the chicken?boil it or??? sorry I just dont know what to do!!!! :(:(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Feed him boiled rice, trust me it will stop the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

ok just boiled rice?? and how do I get him back onto the dry food without him having the runs I dont want to make the poor thing sick:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

i find red mills is very high in protein and gives my dogs the runs, no matter what type of red mills - best way to stop the runs is to not feed for 24 hours - at all - just give water - but i'd move away from red mills from my personal experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Boiled rice and a bit of plain chicken is usually the way to go.
    Once the dog is infact drinking water (keeping hydrated) then I'd try that for a bit see if it helps. If the dog is still unwell then perhaps a trip to the vets to get checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ours has too - he's an 8 month old golden retriever :( The poo got softer last week so chicken and rice for a few days, then back on his regular food and then it got softer again and turned watery last night/this morning :( Normally we can get in with the chicken & rice and turn it around before it gets to the watery stage so I took him to the vets this morning to be sure. We got some pills and a supplement to line his tummy (Canikur Pro)..Anyhoos the vet told me to starve him for 24 hours, then rice and chicken until he has normal poos, then back on his normal food - we weren't starving him for the 24 hours so thats probably why he's so bad today!! My poor baby cos he's so good - he runs to the back door and no messes in the house!!

For the rice and chicken...
    I put chicken/turkey fillets on sheet of tin foil and cover with another sheet foil and pinch the edges and bake for around 20 mins. While thats cooking away I put the rice in a pyrex bowl with boling water and microwave for 10 mins (don't cover it or it'll spill over) and leave it for at least 10 mins to fluff up - we use basmati rice because it's the house's fav rice so we always have it in! :)
    Next when the chicken/turkey is done open the foil and there should be stock - pour this into the rice and slice up the chicken and mix thru. Our guy gets a bit picky as he's starting to feel better and picks out the meat(!) so we mix a small amount of extra chicken stock in too so he eats the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You aren't supposed to feed a dog anything when they have the runs for the first 24 hours. Even chicken and rice will can cause the runs if he keeps getting fed.

He needs to be fasting for a day and a night. Then small amounts of food introduced gradually.
    He also would by now need Lactade, for rehydration.
    Ensure he's drinking plenty of water (no milk or anything else).

It might not be the change in food since you did it gradually.

I don't faff about with cooking I just chop up a bit of chicken and boil it until it's totally cooked through then add the rice.

Royal Canin sensative I found is great for dogs with runs, works on my lot.
    Just a couple of cans for a day or two can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

+1 for starving and Royal Canin Sensitivity Control.

Staving gives their digestive system a break to recover, you will need to do it for 24 hours and then feed small meals for the next few days - I find RC Sensitivity dry the best stuff, after a day or two they are back to normal.

Chicken and rice is fine too, I just chop up the chicken (fillet) and boil it in with the rice - quick and easy! You could give him a little potato if there's no rice in the house, works just as well. He may not be in the mood for food and might just eat a few bits of chicken but don't be too worried, as long as he is drinking he'll be fine. When my guys are sick I put a tiny amount of sugar into a small bowl of water to try to encourage them to drink, just don't let him gulp down masses of water or it will upset his stomach further.

If the scuts last more than 5 to 7 days while on the bland diet he will need to go to the vet - he might have an infection that will need to be treated.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

Is the Royal Canin Sensitivity Control only available in the vets? The vet told me I could either make the chicken and rice or buy hills i/d so I decided to stick with the chicken and rice. I'm paranoid about Hills!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

My vet stocks the tinned RC Sensitivity but not dry, I have to go to another practice to get it (but it is still reasonably common). Hills I/D didn't agree with one of my dogs, who is prone to colitis and gets the scuts a lot. It does agree with plenty of dogs though - it's designed to get the salt back into them after a bad bout.

Sticking with the chicken and rice/potato is fine.

thanks for all the replies about this, I fasted him yesterday although he got sick twice the poor lil thing,hes drinking plenty of water and today I gave him some chicken and rice which he wolfed down,lol!! I'll keep ye updated:D I dunno about changing his food again,plus I only took him of RC cos its so bloody expensive and the red mills was still a superpremium food but if it dosent agree with him I may have to put him back to RC:rolleyes: He knows whats expensive the lil fecker!!!:p

• Advertisement

food is expensive over here, but have you looked online at pet-supermarket or zooplus to try and get something middle of the ground?

OP our guy is on RC - if there's a PetMania near you check it out because they have offers every few weeks on RC - €15 off etc

tk123 wrote: »
    OP our guy is on RC - if there's a PetMania near you check it out because they have offers every few weeks on RC - €15 off etc
    http://www.petmania.ie/

everywhere but Cork

Carlow
    Drogheda
    Dublin
    Kilkenny
    Limerick East
    Limerick North
    Navan
    Portlaoise
    Tralee
    Tullamore
    Waterford
    Wexford

just checked zooplus and there robbers, I had him on RC medium junior and its €63 probably gotta pay P+P aswell, I had ordered it online on a diff website but with P+p it kinda works out the same! RC usually cost me bout €58 for the 15KG bag which he gets through quiet quickly,obviously I dont want him sick so I'll have to see what will agree with him:(

PaulB91 wrote: »
    http://www.petmania.ie/

everywhere but Cork

Carlow
    Drogheda
    Dublin
    Kilkenny
    Limerick East
    Limerick North
    Navan
    Portlaoise
    Tralee
    Tullamore
    Waterford
    Wexford

Thanks for the info, yep I've been out to petmania a couple of times, its a good offer but how longs that gonna last for???

Amzie wrote: »
    just checked zooplus and there robbers, I had him on RC medium junior and its €63 probably gotta pay P+P aswell, I had ordered it online on a diff website but with P+p it kinda works out the same! RC usually cost me bout €58 for the 15KG bag which he gets through quiet quickly,obviously I dont want him sick so I'll have to see what will agree with him:(

Always order from zooplus.co.uk - the prices are better! ;) It's €53 on the uk site for a 15kg bag. Our guy gets thru a bag a month and he's looking a bit skinny so I'll be giving him a little more when he's feeling better! He got sick yesterday and there was bits of stick in it so thats probably what was causing his problems. He's always trying to eat sticks in the park! :rolleyes:

EDIT - just to add I was feeling lazy this evening so for chicken & rice I sliced up the raw chicken into thin stips, mixed with the uncooked rice in a pyrex dish, covered with boiling water and microwaved for 10 mins (I checked the chicken was cooked thru). The puppy was barking at the microwave while it was cooking and goblled it up no probs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

It may not be the food, there are a few dogs reported as having a gastric bug of some sort with symptoms such as you have described?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

Be careful Samoyed are lactose intoleratant they can NOT get any food that has dairy in it they need a special diet
    We have out samoyed on a secpial food called bento's it's brillan it hypo-allergenice but it's expensive €47 for 15kg but it is well worth it the difference is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

lisar201 wrote: »
    Be careful Samoyed are lactose intoleratant they can NOT get any food that has dairy in it they need a special diet

All dogs are actually Lactose intolerant so its not just certain breeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

andreac wrote: »

But in particular it worse Samoyeds it can actually kill and I was advised this by my vet

• Advertisement

dont worry I never give him milk or dairy products:D

lisar201 wrote: »
    We have out samoyed on a secpial food called bento's it's brillan it hypo-allergenice but it's expensive €47 for 15kg but it is well worth it the difference is unreal

he was doing grand on the RC and I didnt think he would have any problems when I was changing him over to the red mills which I did gradually,he was happy on the food so I bought the big 15kg bag:rolleyes: and a couple of days after I got the big bag he has the runs and was a lil sick, I wonder if its a bug he has:confused: even €47 I wouldnt mind paying but I dont want to upset him further by putting him onto another new food just yet!!! RC is almost €60 which is just too much:( Thanks for the advice though:)

muckety wrote: »
    It may not be the food, there are a few dogs reported as having a gastric bug of some sort with symptoms such as you have described?

I hope the poor lil guy dosent have a bug, Im gonna give him another couple of days to see if it will clear up, Im after giving him the chicken and rice again today im scared to give him dry food yet:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How long has he been on Red Mills? if its more than a few weeks it more than likely isnt the food. Dogs pick up bugs all the time so could be that.

If hes still getting sick and has the runs on chicken and rice he needs a vet.

How long has he been on Red Mills? if its more than a few weeks it more than likely isnt the food. Dogs pick up bugs all the time so could be that.

If hes still getting sick and has the runs on chicken and rice he needs a vet.

hes on the red mills about a month. I have him on the rice since yest and the runs are pretty much gone im just scared to rush him back onto the dry stuff,what do you think???:confused:

maybe mix the red mills with rice for a while, but keep him on rice and chicken till Monday?

PaulB91 wrote: »
    maybe mix the red mills with rice for a while, but keep him on rice and chicken till Monday?

good Idea,I'll try this so...thanks:)

ok hes got the runs again and it was kinda yellowish:eek: I have only been feeding him the rice and chicken thought twas meant to settle his stomach, should I bring him to the vet???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Amzie wrote: »
    ok hes got the runs again and it was kinda yellowish:eek: I have only been feeding him the rice and chicken thought twas meant to settle his stomach, should I bring him to the vet???:confused:

he seems to have the runs on/off for an awful long time! This happened with my Sammy when he was quite young so I took him to the vet prepared with a stool sample to get to the bottom of it...

Turned out he had a microscopic bug called isospora.. it can only be seen under a microscope and even though he was regularly wormed etc... the worming tablets don't cover them for this bug. Apparently that was the cause of his tummy issues.

I had tried him on different foods thinking it was food but no matter what I tried he'd get progressivley looser...

If I was you i'd get him checked out and bring a stool sample to have it examined. Better safe than sorry! Oh if you have insurance you can claim the lab costs off them :)

• Advertisement

jen_23 wrote: »
    he seems to have the runs on/off for an awful long time! This happened with my Sammy when he was quite young so I took him to the vet prepared with a stool sample to get to the bottom of it...

Turned out he had a microscopic bug called isospora.. it can only be seen under a microscope and even though he was regularly wormed etc... the worming tablets don't cover them for this bug. Apparently that was the cause of his tummy issues.

I had tried him on different foods thinking it was food but no matter what I tried he'd get progressivley looser...

If I was you i'd get him checked out and bring a stool sample to have it examined. Better safe than sorry! Oh if you have insurance you can claim the lab costs off them :)

I think he has the runs about a week now, well it cleared up for2 days and is back again today:( sounds like he has a bug then!! Should I give the vet a call first for advice and see what they say? dont want to be going down to them with a pot of **** and them looking at me like some weirdo,lol:p

Dont have insurance, is it gonna be very expensive? im scared now!:( dont like to see him sick! thanks for the advice:)

Advertisement