Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has the runs!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If your dog still has the scuts, I would recommend that you bring him to the vet. If you want to bring a stool sample (just scoop some into a sterile pot - maybe a medical urine container - reasonably near to the time you are bringing him) then your vet can get it tested. If you are worried, then it will prob be the best idea to do this. You may be sent away to get one anyway! Prices vary depending on vets but you could always ring and ask how much a stool analysis will be before you get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Amzie wrote: »
    I think he has the runs about a week now, well it cleared up for2 days and is back again today:( sounds like he has a bug then!! Should I give the vet a call first for advice and see what they say? dont want to be going down to them with a pot of **** and them looking at me like some weirdo,lol:p

Dont have insurance, is it gonna be very expensive? im scared now!:( dont like to see him sick! thanks for the advice:)

Well if it's only a week they might try him on antibiotics first to see if that will shift it but then if that doesn't work a stool sample might be needed.

With Gunnar he was getting the runs on and off for about 6 weeks. He could be loose 2 or 3 days then fine for a week and back to loose again so a stool sample was needed to get to the bottom of it. However, my vet wanted to go down the "trial & error" route as it could be allergies so... I figured getting a stool sample sent off would be cheaper than having to put him on expensive prescription food! :eek:

I think my bill for the labs to be tested antibiotics etc was about 270euro but with insurance I only had to pay the excess so it's defnitly handy to have ;)

Also I always find it useful to have some sachets of dioralyte in the house just in case Gunnar gets tummy bugs. It puts salts, potassium and other minerals back into the body lost by vomiting &/or diarrohea. Just pop a sachet into a bowl of water when your starving him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

jen_23 wrote: »
    Also I always find it useful to have some sachets of dioralyte in the house just in case Gunnar gets tummy bugs. It puts salts, potassium and other minerals back into the body lost by vomiting &/or diarrohea. Just pop a sachet into a bowl of water when your starving him :)

Ah thanks for that!! I meant to ask the vet if it was ok for dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

tk123 wrote: »
    Ah thanks for that!! I meant to ask the vet if it was ok for dogs!

It's grand for them but just make sure to get the unflavoured one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Just to let ye know blizzards all better now,he actually stopped having the runs a day after I last posted! thank god cos I was so worried about him:eek: thanks for all the advice!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Oh god Amzie, I know your struggle alllllll to well.

I've a Pom, he had the same problem, he calmed on the RC but could be back with the runs after like 2-3 weeks, after that I was like right it ent food related it's def something internal, bactieria or the likes. I got some Diarsanyl & Canikur (Diarsanyl def the best cos it comes in a syringe with twist dosage), anyway two doses one morning, one evenin, day two after 3rd dose runs were gone, week later they came back a bit, kept him on the diarsanyl for 3 days to make sure it killed what every was causing the runs. Never had a problem for months & months then until RC upped the oil content in the food & it brought back the runs, but I changed over to Arden Grange then with no problems and bye bye to his runs, haven't had any issues in well over a year now.

I always keep Diarsanyl in the house now just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

where do you get Diarsanyl,incase he ever has a prob again?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

ProKolin is also very good for balancing out bacteria in the belly - most vets stock it. It also comes in a handy pump/syringe so that dosing is easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Amzie wrote: »
    where do you get Diarsanyl,incase he ever has a prob again?:o

I got mine from Medicanimal before they popped on the shipping charges, have to have a look around sites now to see who else sells the likes but I'm sure most vets would have it.

ProKolin is supposed to be very good as mentioned, but I opted for the Diarsanyl after reading what both treat, contain etc & other pet owners comments on both.

The CanikurI have worked as well, just very very messy cos they are big tablets!

Advertisement