Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does meteor support using your phone as a modem?

Options
  • 17-03-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

just curious, I think i'll go for the talk and surf plan, using the phone as a modem for the netbook would be a nice bounus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yes, they do. Bear in mind though that 1gb of data isn't a massive amount when using it as a modem, and can go down very fast. It's plenty for a phone, but the average person would use a minimum of 2gigs per month on mobile broadband. You could always go for the Connect 50 with an unlimited data add on. That would cost you 64.99 a month total, but you wouldn't have to worry about going over on data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

I'd only be using it on certain occasions, mainly for surfing - definitley no downloading
    chrislad wrote: »
    Yes, they do. Bear in mind though that 1gb of data isn't a massive amount when using it as a modem, and can go down very fast. It's plenty for a phone, but the average person would use a minimum of 2gigs per month on mobile broadband. You could always go for the Connect 50 with an unlimited data add on. That would cost you 64.99 a month total, but you wouldn't have to worry about going over on data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I went into the Meteor shop recently (last week) and I swear I saw 2GB as the inclusive data on the Surf plan.....maybe I'm tripping but I don't think so as I became interested in moving from vodafone simply because of the extra data included , as well as the plan being a tenner cheaper a month and the fastest 3G network in the land.

If this is the case I'm totally getting a hero and using it as a modem via bluetooth tethering. Will just be for surfing not downloading...

Must go in to the shop again next day I'm in town.....

It's definitely 1gig.

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/

You might have saw that the Hero comes with a 2gig MicroSD card.

chrislad wrote: »
    It's definitely 1gig.

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/

You might have saw that the Hero comes with a 2gig MicroSD card.

Yeah, I know I read that on the website too just before I posted. It's weird though, like I said I remember the sales guy giving me bill pay flyer and I circled the 2GB on the plan when I was at home thinking about changing.

Maybe they just changed it in the meantime. Meh...

• Advertisement

Nope, it's been 1gig since it launched in Sept '09. Trust me on that!

No worries mate.

I must have my wires crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 r_t

Does anyone know what's involved in setting this up on an iPhone 3GS on Meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Full details here.

:)

Thanks Tom eventually made it there. Got tethering working now and had MMS working earlier which has now stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

its not something a network has to explicitly support, as long as you can get GPRS or 3G data it will work

not like in the states where CDMA phones pretty much have the firmware written for them by the network and the phone itself tells the network what method is being used to connect so a distinction can be made between 'mobile browsing' and supposedly more premium 'tethering' thing

It's really a disgrace that O2 and Vodafone charge extra for tethering on iPhones when you've already paid for your data allowance. Glad to have changed to Meteor but I presume if they sold iPhone they'd try to charge it as an add on too!

Advertisement