Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy on St.Patrick's Day 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭boscoroxx

It really is depressing how tatty and unkept the town is getting.
    It was never perfect, but dear god it's awful lately. The amount of graffiti is terrible, I'm used to seeing it around the slip way behind the Riverside, but it's everywhere nowadays (I'm only 21 btw)

It's getting to be a huge run-down eyesore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What's even worse is the shambolic response by officialdom do deal with the problems. Last week the local Tidy Towns Committee and the Town Council launched a report - "Enniscorthy 1500+ - Vision for the Enhancement and Improvement of Enniscorthy Town Centre: working and looking better for everyone." As usual a fancy pants consultant had been brought in from outside to tell everybody what the dogs in the street already know. The cost of this report was not mentioned and , as the Enniscorthy Guardian reported, amounted to the 'innovative' suggestion that paint, plants and paving were the basis of the plan to improve Enniscorthy. Almost unbelieveably, none of the things I have highlighted get a mention as needing attention. The two page spread in the Guardian was a typical piece of lazy journalism and was mainly a series of photographs showing local worthies poring over the report. I know that the Tidy Towns people are trying to do their best, whatever about the council, but they need to stand back from the thing and look at the reality - ie that Enniscorthy is a filthy dirty kip that could very easily be made into an attractive place to live and visit. Points awarded in the annual Tidy Towns Competition are meaningless as those who adjudicate in that competition clearly do not properly assess the town. :mad:

From the Enniscorthy Echo of March 18th, 2010 :mad:

http://www.enniscorthyecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojeymhoj&cat=news

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Vandalism fears as Castle lies idle

IT’S WITHSTOOD sieges and attacks by bomb, bullet and sword, but now Enniscorthy Castle could fall prey to a modernday menace vandals.

Fears are being expressed over the state of the 13th century building after damage caused by vandalism, one of the first such incidents since the building was closed three years ago.

One of the large lower ground floor windows to the side of the building was badly damaged in an incident that has shocked locals, already dismayed by the ongoing closure of the Castle and its world famed Co. Museum collection of historic artefacts.

Despite repeated assurances by officials, even as recently as last week, the vandalism has added to the concerns of people genuinely concerned in the matter, many of whom remain sceptical of officialdom’s announcements.

At a Co. Council meeting only last week, Co. Manager Eddie Breen repeated the view that the Museum will be open for business this Summer, even though the building lies empty and bare.

The Manager pledged that €600,000 has been set aside to meet the cost of repairs to the castle, whose doors closed back in 2007 and remain locked.

Cllrs. Paddy Kavanagh and Pat Cody both raised concerns at the meeting, particularly about the continued closure of the Castle, opened as home to the Co. Museum in 1961.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was in enniscorthy for the day last thursday, never again. a very depressing and run down place

i was in enniscorthy for the day last thursday, never again. a very depressing and run down place

Especially today, the highpoint of which for many citizens was watching three units of the fire brigade trying to save Coleman's pub in the Market Square - they failed and this regrettably means that their regulars will be looking for a new billet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

Especially today, the highpoint of which for many citizens was watching three units of the fire brigade trying to save Colman's pub in the Market Square - they failed and this regrettably means that their regulars will be looking for a new billet.

Oh, tell me this isn't true.

I heard rumours (might not be true) that other pubs or hotels have gone up in flames in Enniscorthy in the not to distant past.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Especially today, the highpoint of which for many citizens was watching three units of the fire brigade trying to save Colman's pub in the Market Square - they failed and this regrettably means that their regulars will be looking for a new billet.

Coleman's burned down today?!

Caco wrote: »
    Coleman's burned down today?!

Yes, but on the positive side the dirty old rag of a Wexford flag that has been hanging out of an upstairs window for about two years was consumed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Aye.. have to agree.. the town is turning into a proper kip.

Litter everywhere...

Roads all around the town falling to bits...

Whilst there are some cracking playgrounds in other locations around the county (Maudlinstown, Wellington Bridge, Duncannon spring to mind) the playgrounds in Enniscorthy appear to be very badly kept and attract a lot of undesirables teens hanging around smoking and using bad language. At least they put in CCTV cameras in the newest playground up by Pettits.

The old Murphy Floods site still in ruins...

The old Dunne stores location borded up...

Traffic is brutal...

The town centre seems to be slowly but surely dying a slow and painful death... only the most well established of shops seem to be surviving.

It's a kip I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

BTW -

What about 5-Axle trucks trying to back into Dunnes Stores for deliveries and parking on the side of the road outside?

This is the main Rosslare to Dublin road... imagine being stuck in a traffic jam because some guy is trying to make a fruit delivery or the like.

I mean come on... how Irish was that planning permission?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

It's a shame really. Enniscorthy could be a gorgeous town. Nestled between two hills on a meandering river, it's a prime location with some lovely old buildings and great surroundings. Instead it's choking itself to death and it would appear that no one gives a ****e. Perhaps it would be better all round if the urban council was abolished and the place was run from Wexford instead. They couldn't do a much worse job than the pathetic, puffed-up incapables currently occupying the council chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

you said it mate

total kip altogether

when i came back from london late 80s i was shocked and appalled

not the town i had left at all

Some repairs carried out - at last - in the Market Square see here: http://countywexford.blogspot.com/

There are some stirrings in the retail sector of late with several new businesses in the process of opening but most of my contacts tell me that they are still in the doldrums since Christmas. Fingers crossed for better days.

Advertisement