Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet/Broadband speeds

• 17-03-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question as I'm pretty clueless on broadband etc.

My folks have 3mb broadband, and when I'm downloading various files, the general speed is about 300 kB/sec.

Is that normal? I expect not, but should we be getting 3mB/sec, or am I entirely misunderstanding this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

That's spot on correct speed you should expect.

Complicated reason. Que the Mbit/Mbyte nazis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Its correct. I'm on 20 Mbs package from upc and I download at about 2 -2.2 MB/s. Thats Megabits vs. MegaBytes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pollard88

i have also same problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

Yeah that's near enough what you should be getting. It's because an ISP usually takes advantage of the fact that Mb and MB are different, but not everyone knows it.

MB is Megabytes and Mb is megabits. Because a byte contains 8 bits, if you tell people your speed in bits it sounds 8 times faster than it actually is.

Advertisement