Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim Only Skype on 3

Options
  • 17-03-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I just ported to 3 from meteor. I have an e63 and want to use their Skype service. Does anyone know if there's a way to make this work? (without using up my 1GB data)

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BigAliens

If u are on pre pay you need to top up by €20 to get access

If its a pay monthly then skype is included in the tariff

Either way using skype doesnt affect any data bundle, its FREE

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Yes, but apparently you need a three skype app and can't use the standard skype app for free skype on three.

oh crap sorry, yeah thats true afaik. Have you tried the version of skype u have now and does it defo use data?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

eightyfish wrote: »
    Yes, but apparently you need a three skype app and can't use the standard skype app for free skype on three.

goto planet 3 on the handset then click on service you will see the skype app and also the msn app click on them to download and you will have skype&msn for free.

BigAliens wrote: »
    Have you tried the version of skype u have now and does it defo use data?

Yep, it works but it uses regular data.
    goto planet 3 on the handset

Thanks I'll try that.

• Advertisement

Okay, you can't access planet3 from a phone if you've moved from another network, only from a phone bought from three.

This is really annoying, all over their website it says FREE SKYPE but you have to go exploring to find out that's only if you buy a phone.

http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey ....try puttin it in ur phone

Worth a shot but i think you need 3 branded firmware to dl anything from it

Cheers - tried it. The website doesn't actually exist, even though they list that address on their website.

http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey

Most of our services will work on all handsets. This includes:
    Voice & video calling
    Voicemail
    Texting (SMS)
    Picture messaging (MMS)
    Internet services e.g. Google Mail, Search, Facebook, eBay etc.
    My3 – allowing you to access your account online
    Most Planet3 services - please see Planet3 link above for more details

The following services will not work on non-3 handsets at the moment:
    Email on 3
    Some Planet3 services – please see Planet3 link above for more details.

That's annoying. Why can't they have to option to flash your phone?

Cheers - tried it. The website doesn't actually exist, even though they list that address on their website.

http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey

Type it into your phones browser?

• Advertisement

Type it into your phones browser?

That's what I did. The website doesn't exist.

in order for a handset to work on three it must be a 3g handset,i had an old n73 that i got debranded and gave it to my sister i then got a three sim and was able to reload skype&msn apps on to it.
    also i had problems with my n97 and left it in for repair when i got it back the planet 3 button on the bottom rh corner was gone i used the net to go onto planet3 and download skype if your dublin based one of the guys in the 3 store henry st is good at getting apps working.

if your dublin based one of the guys in the 3 store henry st is good at getting apps working.

Funny... they're the people who told me you couldn't run skype on a phone not bought from three. I might pop in again during the week.

i used the net to go onto planet3

Did you do this via three.ie? I've looked around but can't find download app links anywhere.

Did you do this via three.ie? I've looked around but can't find download app links anywhere.

on that page go to communicate and under neat it you will see the skype&msn tabs to download.

on that page go to communicate and under neat it you will see the skype&msn tabs to download.

I appreciate the replies. If I go to three.ie on my phone, its the same as the regular website. There is no "communicate" button. If I click on planet 3 and then communicate, I go to this page. Clicking on skype just directs me to skype.com- no option to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Are you sure you typed the address for planet 3 correctly. I just clicked on it there and it brought me to it so the address there is fine. You can send your phone to fonemenders to get it flashed with their software. I think there is one in the gpo arcade so they'll do it on the same day if you drop it in before 12. Just be aware if the meteor firmware is a later version than 3's then they might not be able to do it

Walkman wrote: »
    Are you sure you typed the address for planet 3 correctly. I just clicked on it there and it brought me to it so the address there is fine. You can send your phone to fonemenders to get it flashed with their software. I think there is one in the gpo arcade so they'll do it on the same day if you drop it in before 12. Just be aware if the meteor firmware is a later version than 3's then they might not be able to do it

This address: http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey comes up as unavailable. Going via three.ie doesn't provide a download option.

PS: I sent an email to fonemenders asking if they can flash it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

If u are on pre pay you need to top up by €20 to get access

If its a pay monthly then skype is included in the tariff

Either way using skype doesnt affect any data bundle, its FREE

Hope this helps

AFAIK you can still receive Skype calls if you have no credit on 3pay;
    very handy - my GF got a 3pay just for this (for me to call from abroad) and it works great

• Registered Users Posts: 41 offline.seller

Don't bother having your phone flashed.

Ring three support and get them to go through setting up internet access on your phone. You have a setting wrong somewhere. I was having the exact same problem on a sim free n95 and it sorted it. I think it's one of the options under the gateway details that were incorrect. (Web access worked but skype and a few sites wouldn't until it was rectified).

As far as installing the skype client, you may get an error saying it's not supported on your phone. If you do, download the one i've attached.

Hope this sorts it.

• Advertisement

download the one i've attached.

Thank you!

I had called 3, and all internet settings are correct. Its just that you can't access Planet 3 from a non-3 phone to download the 3Skype app (that's what customer support told me), and its not available on their regular website.

So - now that you've provided the app all's good. I have normal Skype via Wi-Fi and 3Skype via 3G.

Muchas Gracias.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Would you know if i can use skype under 3g on htc hero? My contract is coming to the end but their phone range is just unbelievably poor! I am thinking on getting hero from ebay

iwo wrote: »
    Would you know if i can use skype under 3g on htc hero? My contract is coming to the end but their phone range is just unbelievably poor! I am thinking on getting hero from ebay

out in the next month or two for three is Sony Vivaz, Sony X10, Nokia 5230 and Iphone

OMG....that would be sweeeet. I have E71 now and can not wait to get new phone. I asked them to give me Satio but this is not available for an upgrade..They advised me to close the existing account and open new one...but, i would have to sign for 18months contract!! SICK

OK, I rang them this afternoon. Vivaz will arrive on 6th April. Xperia around 10th of May. Would you know the prices? They werent able to tell me that. I can not wait to get new phone but Im not going to spend crazy money - my limit would be 250euro I am on 150minutes contract. DO you think that xperia will cost more than that? If yes, i wont wait for it and go for vivaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DavM

Don't bother having your phone flashed.

Ring three support and get them to go through setting up internet access on your phone. You have a setting wrong somewhere. I was having the exact same problem on a sim free n95 and it sorted it. I think it's one of the options under the gateway details that were incorrect. (Web access worked but skype and a few sites wouldn't until it was rectified).

As far as installing the skype client, you may get an error saying it's not supported on your phone. If you do, download the one i've attached.

Hope this sorts it.

I cant open this file, any suggestions?

What phone are you using, and what error do you get when trying to open it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DavM

Nokia 6700 and it says your phone or sim have no certificate.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can get the 3 firmware on the handset, and then you wont have this problem. Any decent repair shop will take care of for you

• Advertisement

Have you tried going to http://mobile.3ireland.ie/837_sc in your phones browser?

If it opens for you click on services up at the top and try and download the msn client. See if it installs the cert required, then try and install the app i have attached to one of my previous posts.

If that site doesn't open your phone isn't configured properly for internet access.

Advertisement