Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Fiesta Clutch

• 17-03-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently had my Fiesta at the dealer's to get a spare key cut and the mechanic said my clutch will eventually need to be done. He also said that the gearbox is in some way coded so that it'll have to be done at a Ford dealership. Does anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Got a clutch done in a 96 Fiesta before and it was done by a local mechanic. Probably have changed since than though. What year is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭annieobrien8

Sorry, should have said the year in the original post. It's 2004, which I think makes it a mark 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

theres no way that ur gearbox is coded. your clutch can be changed by any capable mechanic in any garage. doesnt have to be a ford garage at all

What makes you so sure hiluxman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

You defenitly miss heard him, the Key is coded not the box. No mechanic would say that. Ask him again.
    The key HAS to be done at a main dealer.

• Advertisement

Agreed about the key being coded and having to go to a main dealer but if I had two keys I wouldn't have had to take it to a dealer to copy a third! It was my dad that took the car and spoke to the mechanic. I suppose I'll ring closer to the time when the clutch actually needs to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 misty1954

My clutch pedal on my fiesta swung up high and free - (something to do with a broken clip) - the garage fixed it - but sometimes when it has been lying overnight I can't disengage my clutch when I go into reverse - it shoots back and keeps moving until I switch off - then I put the engine back on - pump the clutch pedal a few times then it's fine for the rest of the day! Any ideas would be appreciated . Thanks .

No ideas from me! But I did come across this recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,471 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

misty1954 wrote: »
    My clutch pedal on my fiesta swung up high and free - (something to do with a broken clip) - the garage fixed it - but sometimes when it has been lying overnight I can't disengage my clutch when I go into reverse - it shoots back and keeps moving until I switch off - then I put the engine back on - pump the clutch pedal a few times then it's fine for the rest of the day! Any ideas would be appreciated . Thanks .

Its not clear from your explaination but its possibly a worn ratchet in your clutch. Older fords were known for this. Typical symptoms would be the pedal suddenly going to the floor when pressed & then the car continuing to drive with the pedal on the floor. A few presses of the pedal will get it going again until next time it goes to the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 misty1954

thanks for the info about it possibly being the ratchet . As it stands the clutch only jams on once a week and I do about 250mls per week.My car is an 04 fiesta 1.4 tdc . It started about the same time that the clip broke on my pedal connection to the master cylinder . I was wondering that when they fixed the pedal they only did a partial job by concentrating on the connection at that end and not checking if the pushrod had slackened off at the other end . I know I am showing my ignorance - but I have never came across this type of problem before . Again thanks - I will check out the ratchet angle .

• Advertisement
Advertisement