Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another dress thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Anything with a waist is good for the curve-inclined

How ever the relatively high neck and the ruffled detail can make you look frumpy

Also, the shiny material that it is, I dont think it would work on a bigger figure

I think something like this would work on your figure better

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Heart-Jacquard-Waisted-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1013139&cid=8799&Rf-300=1336,1366&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Black

or something with a V neckline

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Button-Detail-Strappy-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=940092&cid=8799&Rf-300=1336,1366&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Blue

(I know thats a very boring sun dress but its the only thing I could find that has the style of cut Im talking about)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Milesandmiles

I love the dress...might buy it... but here's the thing. I'm petite with a boyish figure. I'd go for it because I'm small chested and the detail on the sleeve would help disguise this. I'd also go for the fact that it's waisted to try and define my waist.

I think Pandoro's suggestions would look great on you .....and I know they def wouldn't work for me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

OK panic is starting to set in. I wouldnt choose the blue dress first myself but I need a dress for a wedding at the end of April.

I need
    - something from a petite range
    - something that has decent back coverage. (I get very flushed on my back & chest with any alcohol at all)
    - something I can wear tights and black shoes with.
    - something for less than 75 Euros / 50 pounds (skint student)

In addition to that ridiculous long set of needs, I would prefer something youngish rather than oldish style. The petite ranges from Debenhams, House of Fraser, Marks and Spencers and John Lewis all appear to be more middle age focused than mid-20 focused. :(

I'm seriously considering not going to the wedding. I only have 1 wedding suitable dress in my wardrobe and it is 4 years old. I really don't want to wear it :(

Its hard, cos I want to go and celebrate with my friends, but I have only that one dress... which seems very out of fashion now.

I know that shouldnt matter, the day and the celebration being more important than what I wear, but I will feel rubbish if I have to wear it.

Edit --> I should have said that the wedding will be fairly informal, which I think gives me a bit of leeway at least.

I think the dress you posted probably would suit your figure actually, but I don't think it's really that suitable for a formal wedding. I just re-read your last post and see it says informal, not formal, sorry! The dresses below are suitable for informal moreso anyway, but it was more the shape that I was recommending!

Next have a good range, have a look at

this

or this

or this

Try lipsy aswell, there is some rubbish on the site but alot of pretty stuff too :)

And don't panic! You'll end up buying something you're not that happy with and won't feel good on the day. Take a day out, pick a few shops, and try on a few dresses, don't worry about patterns/colours etc, just try to find what style suits your figure and what you feel most comfortable in and then try to match that style up with a colour you love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Hi OP, I feel your pain!

Have to go to a friend's wedding in 3 weeks and haven't a bloody clue what to wear.

It would be so awful if you didn't go to the wedding because you couldn't find a dress you love, I run my own label that sells through Topshop and you're really welcome to pick any dress (if you can find one you'd like :o ) for half price, we're based in Dublin so it would only work if you can get into town before the event but just thought I'd offer :) Just pm me if you want to.

Hope this is okay with the mods, I just thought you can't let the girl not go to the party!

x Chupi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Milesandmiles

:)Wow, what a generous offer. You lucky thing OP:)

I went back to look at the dresses on ASOS. It's funny I used to look on the web and think .... oh if only I had an hourglass figure I'd have so much more choice but when you actually go in and look it's not like that.

You may be limiting yourself with your "petite" requirement. Did you go into ASOS outlet. I know they're not petite but a lot of the dresses there are so short that a petite version would end up being too short for a wedding. I thought there were some nice ones.

http://www.asos.com/Outlet/Dresses/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=5528#state=Rf-300%3D1336%2C1368%40Rf-800%3D-1%2C67.292%40Rf95%3D950%2C949%2C948%40Rf-100%3DDresses%2B-%2BEvening&parentID=-1&pge=0&pgeSize=200&sort=-1

The most important thing is that you go to the wedding. I'm sure you'll look great:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Thanks for the reply's.

I am considering getting this dress from Jane Norman and trying to dye it.
    532009263_1.png

Jane Norman and New Look are two of the only high street shops that I have found that fit my frame. Its not just about length when your short ... usually the straps or neckline are way out and need adjusting and the waist is much too low as well. Strapless dresses can work well but I can't face going down that road this time.

I found this which I love but they only have small left... and there doesnt seem to be anyone else selling it on the net.

MG_210_Lavender_Dress_BL_FP_M.jpg

The first one is gorgeous but you definitely would have to see it to make sure it's not to pale, it looks very cream in that pic so you wouldn't get away with it, although it could look completely different in the shop. The shape of it is fab, definitely would suit an hour glass figure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Wow lucky you OP. I love the Chupi dresses. There are some really nice ones at the moment in Stephen's Green. (no more dresses for me, have WAY too many)

Advertisement