Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Block mounting?

• 17-03-2010 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

I have a deadline of about a month from now for my semester 6 project. I want to do something along the lines of a book layout, and I'm thinking gloss A3/A4 prints block mounted in some way. I'm looking at mounting techniques and wondered if you guys have any suggestions for something that'd look the part but not blow the very last vestiges of my grant. The 'book pages' will most likely be black.

I know you get what you pay for etc, but I was hoping someone might have a clever idea out there or know a source for some good looking materials. Even some thick foamcore?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I've just designed a lovely book Sinead, should have it delivered by Mon/Tuesday next week if you want to have a look at it?

Edit - Ahh just saw you're not actually thinking of printing a 'book' as it where. Must read before I wb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I have to mount them - the brief rules all :( The book idea is the design behind it if you know what I mean, so window mounts would look awful..

Want to see the book though - I might get the project printed up when I'm done as a portfolio piece. Who'd you go with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I went with Graphistudio a lá Italy. Dying to get it back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

About a year or so ago Steve (360dpi) did a block mount print for me and it was fantastic. I'm not sure I understand your idea of a book layout with block mounting though ro if i've gotten your understanding of block mount aligned with what I understand by it, but anyway it is an option that steve may be able to help you out with. I also saw recently he was doing some of the foam core mounts so it might be an idea to have the chat with him.

Each image will be a page layout AnCat - a gatefold. As if you took the staples out of a magazine and laid each spread out and then mounted it. I think a simple block mount would work best as I can 'frame' the image itself on the page with the page design. Does that make sense?

I talked to Steve already and its a bit pricey as I'll be getting maybe 10 done. Which is why I wanted to look for a DIY option first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ah, I think I see.

I remember wanting to try this a while back but never got around to it.

Perhaps there is room for adaptation / up-scaling to your requirements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

do they even need to be mounted?

what about actually getting a pin board and pinning the prints to it to make it look like a kinda thoughts board?

Yeah they have to be mounted. I was hoping more for slick than workbook too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

if you get stuck

if you pay for the materials you can come have a go at doing them yourself in my workshop

Advertisement