Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big (wealthy!) companies Galway

Options
  • 17-03-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to approach some big companies in Galway in relation to corporate responsibilty and charitable donations. Being relatively new to Galway I have no idea who to contact. Could my good friends here on boards give me a hand? The banks are an obvious one but I'm looking for the name of pharmaceutical companies, construction companies, big IT companies, wealthy hotels / business(wo)men etc ....

(Mayo / Clare area suggestions also welcome!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

HP
    Boston Scientific
    APC (American Power Conversion)
    Medtronic
    Edward Holdings (G hotel, Hotel Meyrick, Ashford Castle, Edward Square, owned by Gerry Barrett)
    Nortel

kraggy wrote: »
    Nortel Avaya
    SAP
    the university
    GMIT
    Supermacs
    C&F tooling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

construction ...

Kenny Group
    Cordil Construction
    Atlantic Developments
    JJ Rhatigan

some of these may not be exclusively Galway based....

there's another whose name escapes me now, but they used to have an office in Knocknacarra

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Thanks everyone! Keep them coming .... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Advertisement

Churchill insurance
    Creganna
    Eircom
    Cisco
    McDonaghs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

C
    McDonaghs

McDonoghs

With an "o" is the seriously wealthy company. With an "a" is the chipper at the end of Quay Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't know if these are wealthy or not, but they have big and/or several buildings:

Penn Engineering
    Merit Medical
    Celestica
    P&O Maritime
    Caragh Precision
    Beckman Coulter
    Lumension (new in town, big elsewhere)
    Thermo King
    IBM (big elsewhere, smaller presence here)
    Oracle (ditto)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Smyths
    Tesco
    Dunnes
    TK Maxx
    McDonalds
    Hibernian Aviva (Knocknacarra)

The bigger hotels -
    Radisson,
    G,
    Marriott,
    Glenlo Abbey,
    Menlo Park,
    (whatever they call the Great Southern these days),
    Carlton(used to be Days,used to be Galway Ryan),
    Flannerys,

there's a few others in town too, but maybe not so big

I remembered the other construction firm with an office in Knocknacarra last night, but its gone again now....I think it begins with an M, and is a common enough Irish surname

Anybody remember it for me ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

dafunk wrote: »
    Hi,

I need to approach some big companies in Galway in relation to corporate responsibilty and charitable donations. Being relatively new to Galway I have no idea who to contact. Could my good friends here on boards give me a hand? The banks are an obvious one but I'm looking for the name of pharmaceutical companies, construction companies, big IT companies, wealthy hotels / business(wo)men etc ....

Hi OP

Just to say if you are approaching these companies directly about corporate responsibility and charitable donations you are probably going to get the door slamed in your face. You may need to find out each companies PR representation, Ad agency rep and even in the case of corporate responsibility legal PR rep.

I have years of experience in a similar area and without face to face contacts, the task above will be difficult in the extreme. Putting Corporate responsibilty and charity together doesn't sound very good. Are you representing a large registered charity?

Le Paradis Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

4 seasons in renmore.

The bigger shop chains, especially local:
    Joyces (K'carra/Headford/Athenry)
    Nestors (Supervalue)

the bigger multiples
    M&S
    Penneys
    Roche's

Royal Tara China (Mervue)
    the glass crystal place in Merlin if they are still open

whoever owns the various shopping centres

Buglim wrote: »
    Hi OP

Just to say if you are approaching these companies directly about corporate responsibility and charitable donations you are probably going to get the door slamed in your face. You may need to find out each companies PR representation, Ad agency rep and even in the case of corporate responsibility legal PR rep.

I have years of experience in a similar area and without face to face contacts, the task above will be difficult in the extreme. Putting Corporate responsibilty and charity together doesn't sound very good. Are you representing a large registered charity?

Sending you a PM. Not really relevant or appropriate to go into detail on the thread.

Le Paradis Club

Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Hi,

blah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Haha!

What's so funny? The owner is loaded!

blah

blah?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    What's so funny? The owner is loaded!

Oh I see! I thought it was a joke. :)

• Advertisement

It was :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AKforde

Hey, I'm also looking for some well established companis in Galway, that are successfull but not big Internationals, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

kraggy wrote: »
    HP
    Boston Scientific
    APC (American Power Conversion)
    Medtronic
    Edward Holdings (G hotel, Hotel Meyrick, Ashford Castle, Edward Square, owned by Gerry Barrett)
    Nortel

Ashford Castle gone into recivership.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pierce-brosnanrsquos-dream-wedding-venue-ashford-castle-goes-into-receivership-with-massive-losses-2949430.html

Try The Ardilaun Hotel, owned by the Ryan family, also own Anthony Ryan's on shop st.

Heneghan Florist, also own Bridge Mills.

Advertisement