Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not being picked as a House Mate :0(

Options
  • 17-03-2010 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19 posgoofy

Just wondering if anyone has ever had the dissapointment of going to view a room and then not being picked as the new flat/house mate.

Man, the rejection :o

Its like being dumped. :pac:

Any tips on how to come across as the right candidate to share a house/appartment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eric_elle

thats no joke dude. maybe you need an extreme make over ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 posgoofy

Eh thanks.

The 2 places Ive looked at are sought after (i.e good location, nice place and good price) so its a bit like Im on audition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 allrounder26

Why dont you rent a bigger place and you look for someone to share with you that way you will decide who you want to live with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

When I moved to Dublin first back in 2000, that was the standard, especially in areas like Rathmines. There could be 20+ people going to see a room and it was like an interview process. I soon decided that no room was worth going through that over and over again for and decided to extend my search range and was the only person that was seeing the first room I looked at further out and got it.

BTW I rented a room in an owner occupied house...and never left ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 allrounder26

personally these days for the price of renting a room and sharing bills you will get a studio or small one bed.
    If you want to live with ppl fair enough but if you are looking to have a cheap and hassle free accommodation i would try to have a look at studios

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

Ah the best reason in the world to rent by yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

posgoofy wrote: »
    Any tips on how to come across as the right candidate to share a house/appartment?

Its really tough. House hunting sucks. You are right about it being an aduition.

I have been on both sides plently of times now. I have had to reject perfectly lovely people as housemates for flimsy reasons. Plus I have been rejected by my fair share too.

Often the housemates are looking for a certain type. E.g. another female and you are just not female enough for them. Try no to take the rejection to heart. Its tough admittedly.

Basically me advice is too be as natural as possible and as honest as you can. Try to get talking to as many housemates as you can and look to make connections e.g. you both support ManU, you both lived in Oz for year.

And remember, its as much about you finding the right houses mates as them finding you. Also good mates are the most important aspect of renting. Its more important than en-suite rooms, parking etc etc. No point having a nice flat if you have to share with dicks. :)

Good luck the hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I've been there on two occassions. When I first moved to Dublin about 10 years ago, finding an apartment was very difficult and you had to take the first thing that came along. After I found an apartment, I was living there for over a year when we all got kicked out at the beginning of December so I spent most of the Christmas season looking for a new place. I saw loads of good places that I really wanted to live in but never got a call back. I eventually found a place in just a few days before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Basic stuff really -
    • have a job
    • don't have "extreme" dress styles (i.e. heavy punk or Goth), cover up visibile tattoos or piercings if you can
    • come accross as friendly and agreable
    • take a shower and use deoderant sparingly before you go out - seriously if your potential cohabitees have to make a 6 foot detour around you to avoid your putrid stink, then you probably won't be somebody they want to have living there
    • obvious stuff - like look clean, dont show up with greasy hair, dandruff and if you dont like shaving at last trim your beard for the occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

athtrasna wrote: »
    BTW I rented a room in an owner occupied house...and never left ;)
    Maybe it's just me, but that last line with the winky smile just screams "sexytime"!

Anyway, on topic, that's why I'm looking for a decent 1 bed. I refuse to live in a studio again, it was nothing but misery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Nevore wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but that last line with the winky smile just screams "sexytime"!

Anyway, on topic, that's why I'm looking for a decent 1 bed. I refuse to live in a studio again, it was nothing but misery.

Almost...a year later he declared his love for me...and 10 years on we're married a number of years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

When I was house hunting in Dublin I was accepted into the first house I looked at, the cheapest room I could find(€270 in 2007, north Dublin). Slightly weird eastern European people.

My advice is to make sure you dress neat, smell nice and most important of all give them some proof of employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

shoegirl wrote: »
    Basic stuff really -
    • have a job
    • don't have "extreme" dress styles (i.e. heavy punk or Goth), cover up visibile tattoos or piercings if you can
    • come accross as friendly and agreable
    • take a shower and use deoderant sparingly before you go out - seriously if your potential cohabitees have to make a 6 foot detour around you to avoid your putrid stink, then you probably won't be somebody they want to have living there
    • obvious stuff - like look clean, dont show up with greasy hair, dandruff and if you dont like shaving at last trim your beard for the occasion

Wow... are you somebody that has a say in future house mates? Hopefully not, because you don't have a clue...

Cover up tats? Piercings? LOL...

Don't have dandruff in your hair? You think people want this? That they chose to have dandruff?

Dress "normally"? Like, wtf are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Just wondering if anyone has ever had the dissapointment of going to view a room and then not being picked as the new flat/house mate.

Man, the rejection :o

Its like being dumped. :pac:

dont bring your mum with you next time :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

personally these days for the price of renting a room and sharing bills you will get a studio or small one bed.
    If you want to live with ppl fair enough but if you are looking to have a cheap and hassle free accommodation i would try to have a look at studios
    Eh, not in Dublin you won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Maybe nowadays it might be easy to get picked as a housemate but back in the day it was near impossible. One flat I visited said that they were just going to put everyone's name in a hat and the winner got the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

LOL at this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

ah the memories! we had a great apartment in the city center so when someone left we had to see lots of people. had to do it about 3/4 times in the time i lived there. from my vague memories you should play down any relationship you are in, being single is ok, but in a committed long term relationship is a no no for potential housemates and dont bring your other half with you, bring a friend if it is easier, have a job (unfortunately we would not even consider someone without), offer to pay deposit on the night if you have can, dont diss your landlord or existing housemates, have a few questions of your own about the area and the people, try to connect with at least one of them, dont discuss the potential of the balcony for abseiling, dont make your own tea or coffee or go searching in the cupboards for honey or sugar, dont stare at the housemate's chest so much you cant see the other ones taking the piss over your head (haha such a funny evening), dont discuss your religion or your politics, dont ask the housemate out on a date, dont bring a friend who does all the talking, dont tell the housemates how much your mom will love the place when she comes for her hols,
    - make sure you 'interview' them a little too - you will have to live there
    - have a very good look around because if the place is not you your exacting clean standards then it never will be as this is when they tidied up for the guests
    - Be honest about your needs and your expectations

try to enjoy it you be settled down with a mortgage and the same housemates for long enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I've only viewed two houses ... and got offered both. Having to "reject" the one I wasn't interested in was hard ... I felt really guilty (because I went to their house, had a cup of tea with them etc ... then later told them I wouldn't be taking the room) :o

The whole process can be quite stressful, I think ... Looking for a house, looking for new house mates.

Rooms in my house were on Daft recently and I had to "interview" potential house mates. The amount of response I got was unbelievable! It was awful, having the job of telling people that they weren't suitable, they weren't what we were looking for, we'd offered the room to someone else etc ... because the bottom line is you're giving them a PFO and offending them or upsetting them is obviously something you don't want to do.

From my experience:

- Be friendly
    It's important to be friendly and make an effort with the person/s showing you around the house.
    Be chatty, engage in conversation. If you're unsure about what to talk about, start with basics - ask questions about the house, or relating to the people living there, to get the ball rolling.
    "How long have you lived here?" "What's the neighbourhood like?" etc.

- Act relaxed
    Even if you're nervous or worried about out staying your welcome, don't act like you're in a rush to leave - that can come across as rude. If you're offered a cup of tea, have one! Sit down and have a bit of conversation with the people living in the house - it's as much about you getting to know them as it is about them getting to know you.

- Have positive things to say about yourself and your job
    If you're asked about what you do, what your hobbies / interests are, make sure you have plenty to talk about and that you speak in a positive and quite confident manner. People tend to respond well to those who are enthusiastic!

- Try to make your potential house mates laugh
    I think showing you're relaxed enough to make a joke or two works well. If you can make the people in the house laugh or smile, it's always a good sign - and they'll tend to remember you for it.
    Obviously, make jokes off the cuff, rather than remembering a couple and reciting them at random :)

- Be complimentary about the house
    If you like something in particular about the house or the room you're viewing, mention it! If you come across as being interested or positive about the house, the people already living in there will tend to warm to you, because you've flattered them and their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Wow... are you somebody that has a say in future house mates? Hopefully not, because you don't have a clue...

Cover up tats? Piercings? LOL...

Don't have dandruff in your hair? You think people want this? That they chose to have dandruff?

Dress "normally"? Like, wtf are you talking about?

Actually yeah, I did have to make the decision a few times in Dublin and London, and I did make one or two errors of judgements - and yeah, they were down to me being "non judgemental" of people who were a bit "different" - and they ended up hell to live with.

Actually I have the dubious pleasure of working with somebody who doesn't like washing much (according to his ex wife who threw him out after the filth and stink got too bad) and actually, it might come as a shock to you, but poor personal hygiene does lead to problems like dandruff and smelling awful.

Actually I also have been a key decision maker on jobs, and basically process is not dissimilar except that for jobs you cannot ask anybody any leading questions that would indicate that you are prepared to discriminate against them on 9 grounds, but dress sense doesn't come into this, so yeah, we would categorically rule out somebody who didn't bother their hole dressing to expectations.

For anybody having to decide who will take a room, its more personal as you got to live with people at sometimes close quarters. If you're not a recreational drug user for example, you are hardly going to be comfortable living with one.

Ironically, I have a few piercings and tatoos myself, but easily concealed. People make huge judgements based on them, in my own experience, so easier to not reveal them when people don't know you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

- Try to make your potential house mates laugh
    I think showing you're relaxed enough to make a joke or two works well. If you can make the people in the house laugh or smile, it's always a good sign - and they'll tend to remember you for it.
    Obviously, make jokes off the cuff, rather than remembering a couple and reciting them at random :)

This made me laugh... :D
    Potential flatmate: "So this is the kitchen".....
    You: "PADDY IRISH MAN, PADDY ENGLISH MAN, PADDY......"

They'd defo remember that! im just kiddin id agree with you pikachucheeks, my mind started running away!

One bit of advice, even tho you might be desparate for a place dont jump at the first one you get offered. This is what I did cos I was fed up looking, it was a great house and I wasnt sure about the guy (its hard to know after chatting for 15 mins) but I figured im easy going, I can get on with anyone, and its a nice house. I had one other option a crappy house where the people seemed cool.

I went with the nice house cos I was fed up and wanted to live somewhere nice... that housemate is know the bane of my life, I hide away in my room :(

Only 2 weeks left and im moving in with a mate who took pity on me!

Doop wrote: »
    One bit of advice, even tho you might be desparate for a place dont jump at the first one you get offered. This is what I did cos I was fed up looking, it was a great house and I wasnt sure about the guy... that housemate is know the bane of my life, I hide away in my room :(

I think that's an important piece of advice. The main problem people seem to have in house shares is difficult house mates and in my opinion, there's nothing worse than having an awkward atmosphere in a house.

When you go to view a place, if you insist of thinking of it as an interview for yourself, think of it also as an interview for the people you'll potentially be living with.
    Don't be afraid to chat, ask a few questions etc so you can somewhat gauge whether you'll all be compatible, living under the same room.
    I know that usually, you only get a few minutes for chit chat, but even that can be an indication as to what a person is like.

If you're looking for a house, it's well worth your while to put effort in to your search, because 'settling' for one might make you miserable, if you end up living with someone you don't get on with.
    As someone previously mentioned, there's no point living in a house you're content with, if your house mates aren't nice people.
    If you view a few houses, you can find the one that suits you best - in terms of both the house itself and the people living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

shoegirl wrote: »
    Actually yeah, I did have to make the decision a few times in Dublin and London, and I did make one or two errors of judgements - and yeah, they were down to me being "non judgemental" of people who were a bit "different" - and they ended up hell to live with.

Actually I have the dubious pleasure of working with somebody who doesn't like washing much (according to his ex wife who threw him out after the filth and stink got too bad) and actually, it might come as a shock to you, but poor personal hygiene does lead to problems like dandruff and smelling awful.

Actually I also have been a key decision maker on jobs, and basically process is not dissimilar except that for jobs you cannot ask anybody any leading questions that would indicate that you are prepared to discriminate against them on 9 grounds, but dress sense doesn't come into this, so yeah, we would categorically rule out somebody who didn't bother their hole dressing to expectations.

For anybody having to decide who will take a room, its more personal as you got to live with people at sometimes close quarters. If you're not a recreational drug user for example, you are hardly going to be comfortable living with one.

Ironically, I have a few piercings and tatoos myself, but easily concealed. People make huge judgements based on them, in my own experience, so easier to not reveal them when people don't know you.

The thing with dandruff is that it is not only down to lack of hygene. It may be due to diet, or funny enough, being too hygenic. Over washing causing your scalp to dry out.

I want to get into HRM but I think I will get my masters in that first ;) Would you honestly deny somebody a job because they have dandruff? That's rediculous.

Obviously look respectable, dress up, groom yourself etc etc. But don't go to an interview with potential housemates pretending to be somebody else. Why would you do that? There is a serious diversity in our culture now, we cannot judge people by how they dress, if they have tattoos or peircings. That's really not an important thing, unless the tattoos are tasteless (racist etc etc)

Oh, by the way, why would anything come as a shock to me? Is that your attempt at getting personal and insulting me? It wasn't a very good attempt if that's the case.

• I nearly always get picked, used to get picked out of 20-30 people back when there were few houseshares. I didn't think I did anything special, but I suppose it's a good idea to be yourself (no point pretending to be something you're not just to get picked, as you won't be compatible with the people there), be friendly without being overbearing, ask sensible questions about the bills, heating, rent payment etc.

I've been on the 'judging panel' side :D a few times and these are things NOT to do:

*Not asking any questions at all. These people will then move in and then turn around and complain that they didn't know the shower wasn't electric or that no buses pass the end of the road. They didn't ask. You can't expect the renters to tell you every last thing, and certainly not the bad things. Also makes you look a bit dim if you can't think of a single sensible question to ask. There should be loads. Who are flatmates? What type of heating? How much are typical bills? Nearest bus/Luas/DART? How to pay rent and to whom? Parking space?

*Asking if it's OK to have parties at weekends/to have your OH stay over/your mum visit etc. I know people ask this because they want to be considerate and make sure it's all OK, but asking too many of these types of questions is a bit much for a viewing. It makes it sound like you could be a party animal or constantly have guests and that's not appealing to your future flatmates.

*Not talking. I've had so many people come over and not talk. Why on earth should we pick you to live with us if you can't even be bothered finding out who we are and letting us know who you are? A viewing is as much to meet flatmates as it is to look at the place. I'm not going to pick you if I have no idea what you're like.

*Arriving with a gang of mates. Gives really bad impression, makes it look like said mates will always be hanging around the house or that you're incapable of doing anything on your own. Fair enough to bring one other person if you're worried about safety or whatever, but no need for 3-4 people. Also makes it hard to talk, as it changes the dynamic and takes the focus off you.

*Being dirty and smelly looking

*Being miserable looking. Smile! Be friendly. Chat to the flatmates, talk about your hobbies, ask them about themselves! Nothing worse than someone who seems completely uninterested and will be shut in their room all the time.

I actually think this thread is making me more nervous. :D

Have another viewing tomorrow.

Some of the ads on daft are nuts: (example) 'tenant must lOVE cats'/ 'tenant must respect themselves'.....very strange.

Actually, this is my favourite ad:

http://www.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/Court-Apartments-Wilton-Place-Dublin-2/572050/
    Property Description

I am looking to share with someone who is mature and respects themselves. Ideally the new tenant will be house trained and tidy up after themselves. I am not a clean freak but its important that the new tenant has decent standards in relation to cleanliness.
    Also good communications skills are important. I am looking for someone who prefers to do most of their socialising elsewhere though. Not looking for any party animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

lynski wrote: »
    dont diss your landlord or existing housemates

This point is important and should be so obvious, but amazingly some people don't get it! We had one girl who came to view a room and we asked why she was moving out of her old place, which was only down the road. She then spent a good 10 minutes telling us about how mean and unfair her current housemates were and that they kept giving out to her about having guests, and money issues... Now maybe they were mean and unfair, or maybe they were being perfectly reasonable! Either way, a big warning sign for us!

Adelie wrote: »
    This point is important and should be so obvious, but amazingly some people don't get it! We had one girl who came to view a room and we asked why she was moving out of her old place, which was only down the road. She then spent a good 10 minutes telling us about how mean and unfair her current housemates were and that they kept giving out to her about having guests, and money issues...

I think anyone that comes to visit a house and spends their "first impressions" time moaning and giving out isn't going to be very successful!
    Sure, there's nothing wrong with being honest about why you're leaving your current accommodation, but there's no need to rant on and on, making yourself out to a winge - or difficult to live with.

For example, one woman who viewed my house said she was leaving the house she lived in because of problems with her housemates. She then said "Well, that's a long story short, but that's for another day!" and she continued on with telling us about herself.
    She was honest, without dwelling too much on her previous negative experience.

I started this thread because I didn't get picked to be a room-mate and because some people didn't even bother to return my calls or emails.

But today I got picked. Was just myself, dressed very smartly and smiled allot.

Yay :pac:

But can I just say, people of Daft, if someone takes the time to call/email you, for the love of god will you just reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I started this thread because I didn't get picked to be a room-mate and because some people didn't even bother to return my calls or emails.

But today I got picked. Was just myself, dressed very smartly and smiled allot.

Yay :pac:

But can I just say, people of Daft, if someone takes the time to call/email you, for the love of god will you just reply.

Fairplay OP, very happy for you.

Just wanted to share an experience I had when interviewing people, one girl asked how often I was home as she didn't like to be disturbed and prefered to be home alone much of the time... she was not chosen!

• Advertisement

Spot on. If someone makes the effort to come over and view your house, you should make the effort to let them know whether they've been chosen or not. It's not easy to let people down, but leaving them waiting isn't fair.

Tons of people viewed my house and it took me a fair bit of time to e-mail and text everyone back individually, but it had to be done - I'd have wanted to know, if I was in their shoes.

Advertisement