Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warriors Run 2010

• 17-03-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

so i had a reminder set to register for this run today

http://www.warriorsfestival.com/register-online

only to find it's already closed. it'll be another year before i get to see queen maeve.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 17 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    82%
    rovers_runnerT runnernutts_77MoonDancersp1kezpoppy08GeraldineNInteryurauldoneCool Runningclonesladonetime1broders3Slightly BunkersGipo3 14 votes
    3 stars (average)
    11%
    TURFMANDULLAHAN2 2 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    5%
    potsy11 1 vote
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Check back later on, that was last years link for registration.
    Reckon it'll be open tonight for sure.

Edit: http://www.warriorsfestival.com/register-online
    Someone must be watching.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Cool - I've been Allocated Race Number (BIB) : 40
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Bib no. 47 for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

3 stars (average)
    REG for this today bib#153 same course as last year. i didnt run last year the guys in work said it was tough and that it might be changed back to the previous course, but glad to see its not looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

4 stars (good)
    Bib No. 151 for me, just going to focus on the craic after to get me through the 'run'!! Definitely going to train properly for this this year, last year I plodded round, looking forward to 'meeting' y'all and seeing how everyone's training is goin!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

4 stars (good)
    Registered for this. Only 113 places left. Will be full by weekend so get in now if you intend to run

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Registration is now closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Ran out to Strandhill from Sligo last thursday and looking from the Cannon up to knocknarea is quite spectacular and must be one of the most daunting views from a start line there is (apart from the views that the IMRA guys must have at every race). Is it possible to the run the course or a similar course on a weekday evening? Would be on my own so would be wary of getting lost up there if there were no paths.

3 stars (average)
    You cant actually run the course that was used last year or this year as it runs across private land. But there is nothing stoping you from running the old course which is just this years course without turning off onto private land.

4 stars (good)
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    Ran out to Strandhill from Sligo last thursday and looking from the Cannon up to knocknarea is quite spectacular and must be one of the most daunting views from a start line there is (apart from the views that the IMRA guys must have at every race). Is it possible to the run the course or a similar course on a weekday evening? Would be on my own so would be wary of getting lost up there if there were no paths.

The private land is in the first two fields which climbs from the road.

To practice the climb work backwards down from the Queen Maeves Grave to teh fields. Follow a wall south from the cairn. It descents a good bit after about 500m. Take a sheep path left here through heather and this will bring you towards a grassy hollow. Pass the hollow on the low side and then find a nice grassy path a bit higher. Follow this east until you come to the eastern side of the mountain (you are facing Sligo Town). You will see a wall far below. Run down diagonally to this wall. (towards Sligo town or slightly left ot it). When you reach the wall. Turn right and follow the wall. It will bring you around the corner and turns right along the start of the southern face. It turns 90 degree left sharply downhill for a hundred metres and then right. After 20 metres you will pass a gate--the entrance to the private land. (The first section zig-zags through the two fields like a sustained cross country hill gaining about 60 metres.) Bringa print out of the map from the site.

Start from this gate and retrace your steps.
    Remember in the race your going to be very tired here. Build towards doing the climb twice. Practice running as far as possible then walking, also practice walking early steep bits to save your legs thus keeping the effort even (race day strategy).
    The vast majority will walk the big diagonal climb. Steep uphill walking reps are the specific training for this section.

Remember you will have to run fast after the mountain. Closer to race: After some hill sessions do a couple of 1k reps or even 10 minutes tempo. Another way is to finish a long hill run with a few miles at a faster pace. Same as the marathoners do, and same principles more or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

4 stars (good)
    I got my registration in the day it closed! Phew! It was a close one.

T-runner, are we doing the same route this year or back to the original route?

I might get to run with you again Geraldine! That was totally by chance we got to meet last year! :)

4 stars (good)
    MoonDancer wrote: »
    I got my registration in the day it closed! Phew! It was a close one.

T-runner, are we doing the same route this year or back to the original route?

I might get to run with you again Geraldine! That was totally by chance we got to meet last year! :)

Hi Moondancer, sorry for delay replying. Its the exact same route as last year. The orignal route wont be used again with the higher numbers of competitors.

Hows the training going???

T Runner

4 stars (good)
    I'm gutted that I've had to withdraw from this years Warrior Run - but I've had so much going on recently that I haven't been able to train properly, and as I'm also determined to do DCM in October, I thought rather than risk injury, I'd withdraw, I'm so disappointed as I had so much craic last year, but ah well, someone is going to be pleased when they get their unexpected place I suppose!! so to everyone else doing it, enjoy - and I'll see y'all next year. Geraldine

Bib no. 47 for me :)

After weighing up my schedule and family commitments etc I've had to withdraw from this. Sent an email to the organisers so maybe someone is on reserve who can use my place. Maybe next year :o

3 stars (average)
    GeraldineN wrote: »
    I'm gutted that I've had to withdraw from this years Warrior Run - but I've had so much going on recently that I haven't been able to train properly, and as I'm also determined to do DCM in October, I thought rather than risk injury, I'd withdraw, I'm so disappointed as I had so much craic last year, but ah well, someone is going to be pleased when they get their unexpected place I suppose!! so to everyone else doing it, enjoy - and I'll see y'all next year. Geraldine

Ahh to bad Geraldine you could easily get an injury in the race.it was prob the right move to make. What time are you hoping to do the DCM in?

4 stars (good)
    Well just to finish really, but I'm really hoping for about 4.5, plod round!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Was chatting T-runner earlier today & this race came up. Would like to run, but didn't realise it was sold out!

Just posting here to chance my arm for an entry. Is there anyone out there with an entry that they are not going to use? Transfer deadline is tomorrow, Fri 6th Aug so would need to know asap. Will reward appropriately :)

bazman wrote: »
    Was chatting T-runner earlier today & this race came up. Would like to run, but didn't realise it was sold out!

Just posting here to chance my arm for an entry. Is there anyone out there with an entry that they are not going to use? Transfer deadline is tomorrow, Fri 6th Aug so would need to know asap. Will reward appropriately :)

Bad timing Baz. If I'd have known.. I emailed the organisers last week to say I couldn't use mine. I never got an acknowledgement so they may not have allocated it. My race no. is earlier in this thread. If they haven't allocated it you are welcome to it, no charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

God damn it, didn't realise they accepted transfers.

If anybody has another entry they're not going to use I'd gladly buy it off them (assuming the organiser's okay).

4 stars (good)
    I e-mailed the organisers too to say I couldn't make it & didn't hear anything - my bib is no. 151, if you can go ahead with the transfer that would be great!! Good luck, Geraldine

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    God damn it, didn't realise they accepted transfers.

If anybody has another entry they're not going to use I'd gladly buy it off them (assuming the organiser's okay).

Not sure if theyre accepting transfers. I think they gathered a list of people who couldnt race and had a lottery for these transfers for interested parties. Lottery was held but the site says there is an extention till the 8th August. Not sure if theres going to eb another lottery then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Thanks SJ & GN, but I suspect your numbers have gone back into the pool for lottery. Reckon I'd have a better chance with someone they are not yet aware of ...

I would say there are so many who will not be able to make it as the entry is finished so far in advance.

It's become a really popular race - ideally they should increase the number of runners? Guess it's restricted due to the wee hill.

Hope you got sorted with that info Baz. Mind you if gohard gets in you'd better watch out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

4 stars (good)
    bazman wrote: »
    Thanks SJ & GN, but I suspect your numbers have gone back into the pool for lottery. Reckon I'd have a better chance with someone they are not yet aware of ...

I would say there are so many who will not be able to make it as the entry is finished so far in advance.

It's become a really popular race - ideally they should increase the number of runners? Guess it's restricted due to the wee hill.

The populairty of the race is amazing. I first did it in 2005 and their was around 350 people in it. 2006 and 2007 had around 400 or 500 in it. Last year was the first year they put a limit of 800 on it and they filled it around July. I suppose its down to the running boom and word is getting round thats its such a good race.

Ya ideally they would increase the number of runners but definetly constrained by safety issues regarding everyone going up and down the mountain.

Roll on the 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TURFMAN

3 stars (average)
    Does anyone know if transfers are permitted for this race?

I was under the impression that the lottery system is the only method of entry for those who missed out before the original entry limit of 800 was reached

I may not be able to run and have someone lined up to take my place if this is allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Baluba

Giving this a second shot this year, managed to get a transfer about a month ago so not as trained up as Id like to be, but still hoping to shave a minute or two off my time (though would be happy with same as last year).

Anyway, just a quick question re training. I've been running up and around Bray Head for training. Sometimes on the steep initial ascent I keep running as opposed to walking and conserving energy when the speed gain from running is probably pretty small.

Would this be better for building stamina, or should I run
    as I would during the race (slowing to a walk sometimes)?

4 stars (good)
    TURFMAN wrote: »
    Does anyone know if transfers are permitted for this race?

I was under the impression that the lottery system is the only method of entry for those who missed out before the original entry limit of 800 was reached

I may not be able to run and have someone lined up to take my place if this is allowed

Hi Turfman.

As far as I know the lottery is the only method of transfer. Best to mail the organisers though.

4 stars (good)
    Baluba wrote: »
    Giving this a second shot this year, managed to get a transfer about a month ago so not as trained up as Id like to be, but still hoping to shave a minute or two off my time (though would be happy with same as last year).

Anyway, just a quick question re training. I've been running up and around Bray Head for training. Sometimes on the steep initial ascent I keep running as opposed to walking and conserving energy when the speed gain from running is probably pretty small.

Would this be better for building stamina, or should I run
    as I would during the race (slowing to a walk sometimes)?

Baluba. The climb in Warriors run is 330 metres height gain. First 90m on road. Id keep running as much as possible. Even if it is not economical its only training and will get you further up the hill before you walk.

When you come off the road the first part is runnable. Then there will be some running and some walking. There follows a steep section where you will probably have to walk. More runnable stuff another stiff little walking climb and then flat to summit.
    Basically there will be walking. It is worth practising the technique.
    On the steep Bray climb you can practice this.
    You will be tired when you walk in the race so run up the steep ascent, run down as relaxed and controlled as possible. Then run/walk up. Vary the lenghts of running and walking, get used to switching between two.
    On race day there may are narrow sections wwhich may be crowded and not easy to pass. You may have to surge past runners before this section and relax as the pace slows before upping it again when it opens up. Good to know this in advance.
    Also after you come down again from Bray Head run a hard KM on Bray prom.

This will get your legs used to running fast after the up and downs. There are 4 miles of tarmac after the mountain so you want to get used to this. Like a brick session for triathletes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Baluba

Cheers T. Just to clarify, ran it last year. Was my first race so didnt want to start too far up the field but then ended up stuck in the throngs for the hill section. I was forced to walk the first steep bit (grand) but then everyone kept walking on the next bit and it was tough going to overtake. The result being I had enough juice to jog the next steep bit, catch my breath then try overtaking again on the long flat-ish bit before the last uphill bit. I'll be trying to avoid the throngs this time, start higher up the field, but this means Ill have to trust my own pace a bit more and I dont race or run that much (have base fitness from other sports) so interesting challenges ahead.

Strained me hammer last night though!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Baluba wrote: »
    Cheers T. Just to clarify, ran it last year. Was my first race so didnt want to start too far up the field but then ended up stuck in the throngs for the hill section. I was forced to walk the first steep bit (grand) but then everyone kept walking on the next bit and it was tough going to overtake. The result being I had enough juice to jog the next steep bit, catch my breath then try overtaking again on the long flat-ish bit before the last uphill bit. I'll be trying to avoid the throngs this time, start higher up the field, but this means Ill have to trust my own pace a bit more and I dont race or run that much (have base fitness from other sports) so interesting challenges ahead.

Strained me hammer last night though!

I would use the road climb to move to the front of whatever group is around you.

After the first steep bit you can cut the corner slightly and pass a few before you go around the corner to the narrow section. There is also a wee sheep path about a metre or two higher up the bank which can be used as an overtaking lane if youre really bogged down. If you were able to run the next steep bit youre a good climber.

Its kind of a balance. You want to be as far up as you can before you reach the hill but you dont want to go out too fast either.

If you get stuck again you can always use that time to recover and then push on when it opens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gmail8941

<mod edit- gmail8941 perma-banned from this forum for repeatedly breaching the charter>

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

Hi Gmail - can entries be transferred and if so I would gladly be interested.

gmail8941 wrote: »
    i have a entry i cant use
    g

From warriors run website...
    IMPORTANT NOTE : No Further Transfers Allowed. No Further Amendments To Race Field

Thats the official line. Unofficial transfers are not allowed either. Otherwise you are running with someone else's details which if something bad happens could have very bad consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

4 stars (good)
    I want to do whatever even the person who gave this 4 stars has done because I think the warriors runs is a great event. It's well organised, the website provides bucket loads of information, the stewards on the day are great, the run and scenery are awesome and it's pretty good value for everything you get. especially when you count t-shirt (even though it's cotton and not a running top) food afterwards, medal, racing chip, and a decent amount water at the finish line.

I wish I was back home to do it again, I have only been in Ireland for 2 out of the past 6 times it's been run so I haven't done it as much as I like, but I will be signing up for next year, as, hopefully, I will be home for it.

races over here in Korea are pretty cheap but there are so many of them and they have such large numbers of people doing them that it's easy to get them so cheap. What annoys me was the half marathon I did here and it was 32-33 degrees and they tried to limit me to one bottle of water at the finish line. Luckily I used the old 'sorry?? what?? i don't speak the language so i'm just going to grab another bottle of this and walk over to that shade-y corner and die' excuse.

it actually forced me to give up running for the summer as it's too humid and hot so pointless killing myself. Looking forward to september when the humidity starts to fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

Just wondering does anyone know where the km/mile marks are on the Warriors route? I don't remember seeing any physical markers last year although I could be wrong, I'd like to have an idea so I could monitor my pace. Tried to map it on mapmyrun but not really possible.

Anyway - if anyne has a rough idea, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a million!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    SligoL wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know where the km/mile marks are on the Warriors route? I don't remember seeing any physical markers last year although I could be wrong, I'd like to have an idea so I could monitor my pace. Tried to map it on mapmyrun but not really possible.

Thanks a million!

No the warriors has never been marked and I doubt it will be this year. For pacing the way I look at it is, 3 miles to the mountain, then roughly 3 miles up and down the mountain and then around 4 miles back to Strandhill when you leave. I think when you get back on the Strandhill road its a mile back to the finish.

Good luck Saturday

4 stars (good)
    cloneslad wrote: »

races over here in Korea are pretty cheap but there are so many of them and they have such large numbers of people doing them that it's easy to get them so cheap. What annoys me was the half marathon I did here and it was 32-33 degrees and they tried to limit me to one bottle of water at the finish line. Luckily I used the old 'sorry?? what?? i don't speak the language so i'm just going to grab another bottle of this and walk over to that shade-y corner and die' excuse.

it actually forced me to give up running for the summer as it's too humid and hot so pointless killing myself. Looking forward to september when the humidity starts to fall!

Hey Cloneslad,

I am hopefully going to Korea maybe October to teach English. I was just wondering what is the standard in these races? I mean what would the winning time be in a 10k and half marathon?

Have been trying to find times but all I can get is a page about the Seoul full and half marathon but doesnt have results.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Not long now........
    It's been said before here but there is nothing to rival the view of the mountain as you start up through the village on a clear day.

Looking at the course profile on the website is seems the sections are split as follows:

4.14km - To turn off at top of Glen Road for mountain
    3.64km - To top & down again
    6.20km - Rough estimate of distance? From car park at decent of mountain to finish

4 stars (good)
    SligoL wrote: »

Thanks a million!

There is a route map HERE.

Ive also attached a spreadsheet with detailed distances from the main points pf the race.

Race winner averaged 5.29 min miles in the road section in 2008.
    (5:37 out and 5:21 back). He averaged 5:16 in a flat National half marathon 2 weeks later. This should give you a good indication of your pacing strategy.
    You need to go out a bit conservatively.

Although im sure the intensity was a lot higher for this shorter race than a flat half marathon the undulations on the road and the energy sapping mountain takes the strenght and speed out of the legs. If youre feeling OK at the bottom of the climb youll do fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

4 stars (good)
    Hey Cloneslad,

I am hopefully going to Korea maybe October to teach English. I was just wondering what is the standard in these races? I mean what would the winning time be in a 10k and half marathon?

Have been trying to find times but all I can get is a page about the Seoul full and half marathon but doesnt have results.

Thanks

I just had a look through some of the pics my g.f took of the last race I did (the one I spoke about above). The guy who won it was crossing the finish line in 1:12.55.

They have loads of different marathons / halfs etc on every weekend so I think it depends which one you go too but they do love their running over here.

The big marthons (DongA marathon etc) will have an elite section the more standard locally organised events don't and they will generally have prizes for the winners of various age groups too.

I have been nowhere near any of these prizes but I was the first foreigner home* in the half marathon last time out. Pipping a couple of Male and female U.S army guys in the last mile.

*from what I could make out from the guy on the mic at the finish line and what my g.f told me. Oh and foreigner means white / black guy...could have been hundreds of Japanese home before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

Thanks a million for all the details of km/mile marks, really handy to know ....getting nervous now!!

3 stars (average)
    T runner wrote: »
    There is a route map HERE.

Ive also attached a spreadsheet with detailed distances from the main points pf the race.

Race winner averaged 5.29 min miles in the road section in 2008.
    (5:37 out and 5:21 back). He averaged 5:16 in a flat National half marathon 2 weeks later. This should give you a good indication of your pacing strategy.
    You need to go out a bit conservatively.

Although im sure the intensity was a lot higher for this shorter race than a flat half marathon the undulations on the road and the energy sapping mountain takes the strenght and speed out of the legs. If youre feeling OK at the bottom of the climb youll do fine.

Thanks for that T runner. Can you tell me is it from the bottom of the glen road that the first section ends point 2 on spreadsheet or is it when the offroad climb starts point 3 on the spreadsheet? Really looking forward to it i have run the road section 7 times now with one of those been the old course so i know the road section fairly well:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hi there paid for race in April and got receipt for payment off Warriors Festival. Thing is they didnt send me a bib no. Where do I get this? Not emailed either. DO I need this or do I just give them the receipt? Cant find any way of checking. Tried ringiing but no answer and tried email but no answer either. Anyone know?

3 stars (average)
    pauldry wrote: »
    Hi there paid for race in April and got receipt for payment off Warriors Festival. Thing is they didnt send me a bib no. Where do I get this? Not emailed either. DO I need this or do I just give them the receipt? Cant find any way of checking. Tried ringiing but no answer and tried email but no answer either. Anyone know?

You should of got an email once you reg. for it. It will have your name how much you paid, what bib number and what size t-shirt. You bring this along either on friday 7-9 or sat 11-2 i think to get your race pack

Just after checking my e-mail the subject should be Strandhill Warriors Run Festival : Registration Details. Check you email's for this. It is seperate from your Reciept

thanks, but I never got this.

Only have receipt of payment and nothing from Registration re T-Shirt size at all. Hope all the training hasnt been for nothing.

Anything else I can do. I would be majorly disappointed as have been looking forward to for months

4 stars (good)
    DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Thanks for that T runner. Can you tell me is it from the bottom of the glen road that the first section ends point 2 on spreadsheet or is it when the offroad climb starts point 3 on the spreadsheet? Really looking forward to it i have run the road section 7 times now with one of those been the old course so i know the road section fairly well:)

The first section is just to the top of Buenos Aires Drive in Strandhill. That first section (.93k) is common to both outward and inward journey. Section section brings you to the start of the climb at the bottom of the glen (3.48k).
    Point 3 at 4.15k marks the start of the offroad section.

Total climb here is 301m elevation gain over 2.67k of which: the latter 287 m gain and 1.97k is offroad.

4 stars (good)
    pauldry wrote: »
    thanks, but I never got this.

Only have receipt of payment and nothing from Registration re T-Shirt size at all. Hope all the training hasnt been for nothing.

Anything else I can do. I would be majorly disappointed as have been looking forward to for months

Send a mail in to them now (forward your receipt) and explain you havent received a your bib no. even tjhough youve got a payment receipt. If youre there they can forward you details again. If you arent but have paid they have time to add you in.
    Dont wait until registration because it may not be possible for them to remedy the situation at athat stage.

Thanks T Runner,

Did that last night. Heres hoping they get back to me.

3 stars (average)
    T runner wrote: »
    The first section is just to the top of Buenos Aires Drive in Strandhill. That first section (.93k) is common to both outward and inward journey. Section section brings you to the start of the climb at the bottom of the glen (3.48k).
    Point 3 at 4.15k marks the start of the offroad section.

Total climb here is 301m elevation gain over 2.67k of which: the latter 287 m gain and 1.97k is offroad.

Thanks for that T runner, i was getting mixed reports from people that did it last year, some said the time for the mountain climb starts at the off road section and others said it was from the bottom of the glenn.

4 stars (good)
    DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Thanks for that T runner, i was getting mixed reports from people that did it last year, some said the time for the mountain climb starts at the off road section and others said it was from the bottom of the glenn.

Hi Dullahan. The times for the climb from the results start at the offroad climb and finish at the end of the offroad descent at knocknarea carpark

• Advertisement
Advertisement